Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Video/pics: New Mirage MIVEC continuously variable valve control mechanism

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    No updates for this yet?

We have a discussion at the local forum where others say that the MIVEC function kicks in only at 5000 RPM while I'm on the idea that it is across the whole rev range.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    No updates for this yet?

We have a discussion at the local forum where others say that the MIVEC function kicks in only at 5000 RPM while I'm on the idea that it is across the whole rev range.
    From memory is is around 4700 rpm, can't remember where I read that. But ours is only on the intake side, not exhaust profile.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    That is supposedly for the old MIVEC technology but we have the NEW Mirage ..

From Mitsu's site:

MIVEC DOHC-12valve Engine (3A9, 3B2)

The MIVEC engine used in "Mirage", "ek wagon", "ek custom", "ek space" and "eK space custom" model uses the continuously variable intake valve timing MIVEC system that continuously and optimally controls the intake valve timing according to engine running conditions.

This system delivers high performance and low fuel consumption.

Name:  mivec_(mf).jpg
Views: 1844
Size:  40.4 KB

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/...ary/mivec.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

wilbur (03-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Mitz,

Mitsubishi must have moved the MIVEC description on their website. I found it here:

HOME > Innovation > Technology Library > MIVEC (Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control system)

Mitsubishi describes three variations of MIVEC, only one of which is depicted for the 3A92 engine. Interestingly it's listed as Japanese market only. Intake valves only. And it's an electrically controlled hydraulic actuator. Kinda steampunk. Keep that engine oil running clean folks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I was wondering if the 3A92 engine in the 2019 Mirage requires valve adjustment periodically? My owners manual only mentions adjustment for the 3A9 engine at around 78000 KM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritorb View Post
    I was wondering if the 3A92 engine in the 2019 Mirage requires valve adjustment periodically? My owners manual only mentions adjustment for the 3A9 engine at around 78000 KM.
    Just for clarification:
    The 3A90 and 3A92 has the MIVEC system on the intake valves only. This system can continuously vary valve lift and duration. Under ECU control, a solenoid varies the opening between oil pressure line and the cylindrically shaped actuator located between cam sproket and camshaft on the intake side. The actuator motion happens by means of the variation of oil pressure it receives via the solenoid. And yes, variation happens at practically all kinds of revs except at idle, always under ECU control.
    This is all quite similar to the sort of cam control well known from Toyota/Daihatsu 1KR engines for example. In order to avoid paying patent royalties to a competitor, each maker has its own more or less similar variation of that well-known concept. On our cars the European manual calls for checking valve play at 90 000km.
    Last edited by foama; 08-26-2020 at 05:30 PM.

spiritorb: see this thread

Thread: Valve adjustment info found under hood (Periodic valve adjustement required?)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)