Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does the car really need a sway bar? (Different tires alone made a big difference)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I agree with Darin. I'd try the rear bar first and try to keep the more efficient wheel/tire combo. Saves you some cash too as pureflipking mentions.

I've added and/or upgraded the rear way bar on multiple cars I've owned (including my Prius, yes you can laugh ) and it always seems to make a great difference. I like to keep the softer suspension for daily driving on Wisconsin's roads.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I like to keep the softer suspension for daily driving on Wisconsin's roads.
    I understand that the sway bar helps with cornering in that it pulls the inside wheel down when the outside wheel is pushed down - are there disadvantages when driving on rough roads? It seems that if one wheel hit a pot-hole, both would bump. Is this a bad thing in that it makes a rougher ride, or a good thing in that it keeps the car more level and shares the impact between both springs/shocks?

My driving doesn't involve much tight cornering, but I do travel some poor gravel roads/logging roads/farm hay roads/winter roads on a regular basis.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pureflipking View Post
    Traction in Rubber has little to do with the body roll. In fact, the more traction with rubber, the more body roll will occur. Body roll are also measured in the tire's side wall strength. If you decide to stretch out the sidewall, it decreases its compression factor due to the stress which will make the also make the drive different..
    So are we agreeing? I can't tell by this and your original post Im just saying that a sway bar will have alot more effect than a tire and wheel change. p.s. I think your car looks nice with those wheels.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    I understand that the sway bar helps with cornering in that it pulls the inside wheel down when the outside wheel is pushed down - are there disadvantages when driving on rough roads? It seems that if one wheel hit a pot-hole, both would bump. Is this a bad thing in that it makes a rougher ride, or a good thing in that it keeps the car more level and shares the impact between both springs/shocks?

My driving doesn't involve much tight cornering, but I do travel some poor gravel roads/logging roads/farm hay roads/winter roads on a regular basis.
    Canoe I'de suggest removing it and trying it. Only you can really decide if its for you. But yes if you hit a bump on one side it won't be as harsh

NextGenTuning.com NextGenTuning's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So, I suppose I should chime in?

Obviously having better traction is going to make a big difference on the handling of the vehicle, especially on a smaller vehicle. But with a car on atleast lower springs, sway bar and good traction tires...it'll be that much better. I've had customers go from a vehicle with coilovers and add the UR sway bar and notice a big handling difference. As always, to each their own, but if you're looking for some good handling on a small car, a SOLID sway bar is going to make a big difference.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post

Yes, having a sway bar will cause a bit harsher ride when one wheel goes over a bump and the other is still flat. However, it still is a springy material, so it gives just like your coil springs.

Personally, I just like a 'tighter' feeling car. When you swerve back and forth on the road I don't like the rear end of my car feel like a dog's tail wagging back and forth. I like quick steering response. Stiffening up the rear sway bar is an excellent way to do that without compromising ride quality like you would with stiffer springs.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)