Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the car really need a sway bar? (Different tires alone made a big difference)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Does the car really need a sway bar? (Different tires alone made a big difference)

After changing the wheels and tires on the mirage, the handling had improved drastically.

The factory wheels and tires are just tiny, slim and soft which caused it to have so much body roll.

With the new wheels and tires, the body roll is very little. and ive taking it on harsh corners like 25+mph on a 90degree turns and it has way much less drama. It feels like a real car.

What it does need is a better struts/shock absorbers. Springs are just a supporting portion of it. Ill see if i can post a video or something so you guys can see what im talking about.

I cant wait till Bilstein , Monroe, Koni, HTS makes sport struts for the car..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pureflipking For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-21-2013)

Thanks for the update!

From your garage...

Before:

After:

And I see you even stayed with a "LRR" rated tire.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for cleaning it up for me

tires are also upgraded from Hankook to Continental ContiEcoContact (175/55/R15)
    Last edited by pureflipking; 11-21-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    good rubber will make you think all kinds of crazy ****, like you can outdrive a porche for example. But the body roll is still there just with more traction.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    curious on how is your mpgs now? with bigger tire/rim

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kalifornia View Post
    good rubber will make you think all kinds of crazy ****, like you can outdrive a porche for example. But the body roll is still there just with more traction.
    Traction in Rubber has little to do with the body roll. In fact, the more traction with rubber, the more body roll will occur. Body roll are also measured in the tire's side wall strength. If you decide to stretch out the sidewall, it decreases its compression factor due to the stress which will make the also make the drive different..
    Quote Originally Posted by jid View Post
    Attachment 203 Attachment 204
    Attachment 205 Attachment 206

Hi All From NZ

I just had these fitted http://www.magandturbo.com/wheels/4-...gw/bgw-recoil/

They are BGW Recoils at 14" x 6" all up including fitting NZ$495 (about US$390).
    This allowed me to fit the existing OEM Yokohama Blue Earth 165/65x14 tyres so no change in L/100Km however as the tires are "stretched" does seem a little sharper in handling.

Cheers
    Jid
    Last edited by pureflipking; 11-22-2013 at 03:59 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by socal6g View Post
    curious on how is your mpgs now? with bigger tire/rim
    To be honest, my mpg did went down with the wider wheels. But I can still maintain above 40mpg. Maybe on a good day, 45mpg at the most

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pureflipking For This Useful Post:

socal6g (11-22-2013)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I'm still very convinced that a good shock absorber will eliminate loads of body rolls and improve the handling significantly, even more than changing tire.
    My experience with my 2000 Galant which I still own up till now are:
    - In the beginning loads of body roll, no traction because of it and can't accelerate properly. Ride's very smooth like riding on flying carpet but can't take turns. Problem with the tire as well since i bought it second hand and got a chinese branded tire (dispose of it immediately, very dangerous for safety on the road).
    - Changes made:
    1. changed from 15" to 16" with new michelin energy saver+, improved traction for cornering, but don't improve fuel nor getting worse so very little effect on fuel consumption a wider tire.
    2. changed the shock absorber to koni sport yellow. Leave the setting to the factory mode softest. Rides improved significantly, Feeling every stone and uneven on the road now. cornering improved significantly, very little body roll. Acceleration from stop improved dramatically since the car' don't get to 45 degree position when hitting the gas, instead still on level with the ground.
    3. left the spring untouched.

Still need to do: changed the tire to pirelli, source tells me it's even better than continental, soft ride but loads of road grip.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by pureflipking View Post
    Body roll are also measured in the tire's side wall strength. If you decide to stretch out the sidewall, it decreases its compression factor due to the stress which will make the also make the drive different..
    I have read a number of reviewers who specifically mention sidewall flex as contributing to body roll in the Mirage. Of course, you could also try higher air pressure to reduce that.

To reduce body roll, I think my preference would be to go for the rear sway bar: you can keep the narrower OEM tire (more efficient), and it's a less expensive upgrade overall.

But of course it's not as pretty as new wheels.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-22-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I have read a number of reviewers who specifically mention sidewall flex as contributing to body roll in the Mirage. Of course, you could also run higher air pressure to reduce that.

To reduce body roll, I think my preference would be to go for the rear sway bar: you can keep the narrower OEM tire (more efficient), and it's a less expensive upgrade overall.

But of course it's not as pretty as new wheels.
    I tried with the higher pressure, even maxed the PSI on the enasave tires, but it still made no difference.
    Dont get me wrong, i wanted to get a rear sway bar too to reduce it, but right after i changed the wheels and tires.. the outcome of the handing is making me change my mind from getting a sway bar. But then again, it cost me about $850 for the upgrade vs $225 for UR sway bar.

I'll set up my GoPro for the vehicle and ill do some driving videos