Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: City fuel economy - just wondering (getting 6.8L/100 Km = 35 mpg US/14.7 km/L)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Had a recent trip out of town and filled up on 100% pure gas (no ethanol) ... there was around 350lbs of cargo (incld' passengers), and I gave it a very light foot, and hypermiled to the best of my ability on the highway, but I still don't know how it happened .. according to my records I traveled 110 miles on 1.1 gallons of gas - 100mpg!? Is this possible?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Had a recent trip out of town and filled up on 100% pure gas (no ethanol) ... there was around 350lbs of cargo (incld' passengers), and I gave it a very light foot, and hypermiled to the best of my ability on the highway, but I still don't know how it happened .. according to my records I traveled 110 miles on 1.1 gallons of gas - 100mpg!? Is this possible?

This day has been my best yet 53.3pmg all city!!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Is this possible?

I'd be very skeptical. Even with a tailwind, or going down a hill that seems high. I suspect maybe a measurement error. When I drove the Mirage, I wanted to "top it up" before driving and then top it up again. On the first "top up" attempt, it seemed to have a never-ending fuel filler hose. I was able to put more than 10 L in after the pump clicked off, and I stopped because I worried it might be overflowing through a vent or something.

I'd say if you ran it to empty, put in a fixed measured amount of fuel and ran to empty again that would be best. I'd like to believe 100mpg is possible, but I doubt it. It seems on the speed/mileage chart, 97mpg is possible at 40km/h using an imperial Gallon, so maybe I am wrong. I hope I am. I would like to be wrong in this case.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ednevell View Post
    This day has been my best yet 53.3pmg all city!!
    Cool, how did you manage that?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    I'd be very skeptical. Even with a tailwind, or going down a hill that seems high. I suspect maybe a measurement error. When I drove the Mirage, I wanted to "top it up" before driving and then top it up again. On the first "top up" attempt, it seemed to have a never-ending fuel filler hose. I was able to put more than 10 L in after the pump clicked off, and I stopped because I worried it might be overflowing through a vent or something.

I'd say if you ran it to empty, put in a fixed measured amount of fuel and ran to empty again that would be best. I'd like to believe 100mpg is possible, but I doubt it. It seems on the speed/mileage chart, 97mpg is possible at 40km/h using an imperial Gallon, so maybe I am wrong. I hope I am. I would like to be wrong in this case.
    I ran my Mirage until it was almost empty of gasohol and filled it up with 100% gasoline ... ran it for 110 miles and filled it up again with 100% gasoline, and it took 1.1 U.S. gallons.

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    can you try to reproduce it?

This is what we need to show all the times in my business, at least three times, that is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wish I could reproduce the exact conditions ... unfortunately it was an out of town trip with perfect weather, no wind, and non-ethanol gasoline, which I do not have access to anytime soon. I'll see what my next fillup is like.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Standard petrol is more dense than ethanol, but from what I understand ethanol is oxygenated meaning that some of it is "empty space" to make up for the molecules that need air to expand. To me is seems logical that you could wrap the car around 75-100 miles on pure gasoline, as it would come out slowe,r and consume less per mile than an ethanol hybrid, but I'm not entirely sure.
    It'd also depend on whether they petrol you acquired was oxygenated as well. As for the weight, that won't make a difference unless you're facing hills, fast accelerations, or headwinds/crosswinds from what I know of it.
    If you've got a good tailwind, and heavy weighted car going downhill I fully see this vehicle being able to get 100 miles on a gallon of pure un-oxygenated gasoline.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Not likely..
    there are numerous variables in play here: air temp at 1st fill vs 2nd fill... filling from above ground tanks vs in ground tanks(temp variance)... difference of a few degrees of ground slope between 2 fill sites... the car heats the fuel while driving as engine heat is transfered to it via return line...
    Gas, like all fuels expands and contracts significantly with temp variance. A more coclusive method would be to allow the vehicle/fuel to cool (overnight?) To the same temp as 1st fill before topping up the tank.
    I'm willing to bet there would be more room in the tank at 2nd fill with this method. Even a difference of half a gallon varies the outcome greatly.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My avg. in the city is 40 MPG and last week I was getting over 54 MPG on the interstate but that was early in the morning.
    On my way back when it was 90 degrees outside I got like 50 MPG.
    This is with the CVT.

I wonder if adding an oil cooler would help with the fuel mileage?