Thread: start stop system will battery last?

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

start stop system will battery last?

i read about that the cars with star stop system have lots of problems where the 12 volt battery needs to be replaced sooner then a normal 12volt battery AND those are special start stop batterys so they are more expensif.

also the starter motor is replaced sooner

wonder what type battery is in the start stop mirage/space star

Battery info for the Dutch car with stop/start:

Thread: Operation & details of the Auto Stop & Go (engine stop/start) on a 1.2L CVT Mirage

talldino indicates it has a special, larger battery.

As for the starter motor, I can't imagine that there would be problems. I understand that starter problems (burning out) happen mostly from high current/long cranking abuse. But the stop & go system will only operate when the engine is warm (meaning very fast engine re-starts) and the battery voltage is high (meaning lower current to operate the starter).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Start/stop systems haven't been in place for a super long time so there will probably be a few kinks to work out. However, I wouldn't be too worried. The system isn't all that much more advanced than a normal starting system.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    yes a special battery but what... maybe someone with teh start stop can write down the type.

also a normal car would start only one time every trip but now it can start several times very trip meaning a exponential increase in start moments ofthe starter motor.. = sooner to fail.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The battery is simply a larger (higher capacity) battery. Its still a lead acid battery just like nearly ever other car battery out there (besides hybrids).

With start/stop systems they use a starter designed for the (much) increased use. They don't both use the same starter.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start-stop_system

Start-stop systems are heavily reliant on the battery. Testing indicates that AGM batteries diminish in their ability to support start-stop functionality over time. [1] . While alternatives exist (NiZn, Lithium-Ion,[25] PbC), virtually all automakers continue to use conventional AGM lead acid batteries.

http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb

http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-g...ch-start-stop/