Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Save 25 Watts (or more) LED lights mod (brake, tail, side markers, plate, etc.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spacester View Post
    \
    mmm i dont see anything else when you press the brake beside the 3e light...

do you know the LED get brighter when you brake?
    Hi!

Yes the LED got brighter with brakes but not at the ratio of the original 5W/21W bulb.
    (now that I got them out again,I will go measure wattage on each circuit of the LED and report back later for some clues)

If the 3rd brake lamp wasn't so brutally bright, blinding the camera we could see the difference on the pic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    0.13A running lights (X 12.93V at the time of test=1.68W)
    Name:  131207_0023.jpg
Views: 1622
Size:  71.6 KB

0.275A brake lamp X 12.93V=3.55W
    Name:  131207_0025.jpg
Views: 1685
Size:  34.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Banned
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I bought some high power leds from ebay. They don't light up as much as original. Maybe I need to check the wattage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've bought LED lights a few years back to replace tail/brake light bulbs, but just going by my eyes, it looked like the incandescent lights were brighter. The same was true for the dome light I wanted to replace.

With that said, I may have to buy new ones with today's technology. Hopefully better light output.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's a great idea, but I sincerely hope that those lights are running off a low enough current that the leads don't get too hot sitting on that Electrolytic Capacitor as that would be begging for heat related leakage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spacester View Post
    i hope you also put in the auto hights adjustents because if not its a pain for other drivers. and against the law here.
    They're built in our cars, Mitsubishi's that good

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracconus View Post
    That's a great idea, but I sincerely hope that those lights are running off a low enough current that the leads don't get too hot sitting on that Electrolytic Capacitor as that would be begging for heat related leakage.
    A little late to reply but if the above comment was meant for me then here it is:

The blue thing is a resistor not a capacitor. Current draw is 51mA. While the resistor is probably 1/4 Watt rated and the assembly draws about 3/4 Watts,yes I am over taxing the resistor above it's rating however it has been almost a year and they have been working flawlessly.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    You've had these installed for over a year now. How are they holding up?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    You've had these installed for over a year now. How are they holding up?
    The 2+2 in the headlights(park and corner markers) flawless. Dome lamp.trunk lamps also great.

Tag lights not so great. I noticed one night while checking them that one of them was not lit so I started banging on them and with every tap I got a different combination between the two lights being on or off.

So I took out two factory made 194 replacement LED bulbs from my now retired mazda protege's rear side marker lamps and put them in for my tag lights on the mirage.

They are now so cheap on fleabay that I feel silly for soldering these up myself.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-18-2014),satria_wr (12-22-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The factory bulbs draw 388ma. I replaced them with two LED's at the front parking light position. The LED's draw only a small fraction of the current and they "flicker" when the lights are on. I am thinking that I need to install a 40 ohm shunting resistor across each LED.
    so that the circuit will "see" 388 ma. Do you think this will stop the flickering?