Thread: Did anyone catch the new 1.1L GDI Turbo engine?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Did anyone catch the new 1.1L GDI Turbo engine?

(AR Concept: 134-horsepower, 1.1-liter turbo 3-cyl engine)

If you followed the latest Tokyo Auto Show, you will know that Mitsubishi launched 3 new concept vehicles. One previews the new Montero, the other previews the new Outlander Sport, and the other previews a new MPV that will likely be the next Grandis. 2 of the 3 concept vehicles used a new 1.1-liter, gasoline direct-injected turbo engine. Not much info was given about the engine except that it makes about 134 Horsepower.

For some odd reason, I really don't think this is the last we will hear about this engine. Mitsubishi apparently wants to sell the Attrage sedan in the States but cites that it needs more power and some Mit su execs want a tighter suspensioned, more aggressive Mirage hatchback with more power. It will be interesting to see what Mitsubishi does with this new power plant and if it will spawn larger displacement variants with even more power.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MetroMPG; 11-24-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: (added pic)

I actually did notice that engine when I read about the AR Concept. (Added a picture of it to your post.)

If I'm not mistaken, this would also be permitted under the existing Thai "Eco Car" rules which stipulate maximum displacement to qualify for the benefits offered for manufacturing the Mirage there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Oh wow i would love an upgrade to the spacestar/mirage with more power and tighter suspension.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    That might end up being an engine mitsu may use in a few of there cars in the future could be interesting.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Nice find guys. That would bump up the price of the Mirage. They specifically mentioned that in an article I read that they didn't go with direct injection at least partly due to price. 134 hp in a Mirage would be quite fun...
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    is ethanol not also a problem? with direct injection...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I haven't heard of any issues with ethanol and direct injection. I even just googled and nothing came up. The only thing that did was that direct injection works great with ethanol, increasing the octane rating of the fuel and allowing for higher compression ratios which further improves efficiency.

Edit: I did just find this.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...in-a-nutshell/

The effect of increased percentages of ethanol on injector longevity.

The percentage of ethanol in gasoline at the pumps is steadily increasing. Ethanol has a tendency to increase the corrosion rate of the various metals used in an engine. Add this to the elevated fuel pressure and the fact the injector is directly exposed to in-cylinder combustion events, and you have a recipe for a recall. Furthermore, these injectors are very sensitive to fuel quality due to outrageously tight tolerances. It is very important to use high quality fuels and keep the filters clean.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I haven't heard of any issues with ethanol and direct injection. I even just googled and nothing came up. The only thing that did was that direct injection works great with ethanol, increasing the octane rating of the fuel and allowing for higher compression ratios which further improves efficiency.

Edit: I did just find this.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...in-a-nutshell/
    yes that was it

The effect of increased percentages of ethanol on injector longevity.

The percentage of ethanol in gasoline at the pumps is steadily increasing. Ethanol has a tendency to increase the corrosion rate of the various metals used in an engine. Add this to the elevated fuel pressure and the fact the injector is directly exposed to in-cylinder combustion events, and you have a recipe for a recall. Furthermore, these injectors are very sensitive to fuel quality due to outrageously tight tolerances. It is very important to use high quality fuels and keep the filters clean.