View Poll Results: Is the type of transmission important to you?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would ONLY buy a manual shift.

18 60.00%
  • Offer me an automatic, or I'm out of here!

5 16.67%
  • If I like the car, the transmission doesn't matter.

7 23.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you get a Mirage if it only came with an automatic transmission?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Manual only for me. I would not consider anything else. Just personal preference, and maybe a latent control-freak issue

One interesting thing we're still trying to figure out: the CVT may rev significantly lower than the manual at highway speeds (~100 km/h / ~60 mph), yet most countries' fuel economy ratings still show the manual as having better highway fuel economy (if only by a little). We already know the manual revs approach 3,000 RPM at that speed.

I'd definitely like to try both transmissions. (But I still bet I'd opt for the manual, even if they got equal fuel economy).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wouldn't be surprised if it depends on what is considered "highway speed." The old EPA test used to get such good numbers because they counted 50 mph as "highway."

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I would think that the CVT may be able to run at lower rpm at say 100klm/h then the manual. Now if you run into a head wind or have an incline to go up i would expect that the CVT would then sart to lift the rpm to keep it moving at speed. The manual could still stay in top gear for much longer and be able to go through the head wind or the incline.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Well, according to the newest UK ratings for the Mirage: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ace-Star-also). The Mirage 2 (5spd) gets better highway (extra urban) mileage than the Mirage 3 (CVT), but the Mirage 3 (5spd) gets slightly worse mileage... So, it does seem to be a bit of a wash and dependant on other things than just the transmission.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Still, you have more control with a manual, so I'd expect it's better when it comes to the upper limits of hypermiling.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    My GLS CVT mirage is still under evaluation with less than 1K mileage for kick transmission problem. I should have gotten a manual.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I have little confidence in CVT technology at the moment, especially for a low cost car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Why are you convinced that the OEM gear oil is not high quality? I would be surprised if it wasn't. Good oil is cheap insurance, and it also effects efficiency which is this car's forte. Have you seen an oil analysis done on them to prove anything is going wrong?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

I'd be pleasantly surprised if the OEM oil was fully synthetic. Given the car's low price.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)