View Poll Results: Is the type of transmission important to you?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would ONLY buy a manual shift.

18 60.00%
  • Offer me an automatic, or I'm out of here!

5 16.67%
  • If I like the car, the transmission doesn't matter.

7 23.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you get a Mirage if it only came with an automatic transmission?

Would you get a Mirage if it only came with an automatic transmission?

I realize that most drivers prefer to let their cars look after the business of changing gears. It's easier. More convenient.

In some markets like New Zealand, the CVT won't even be optional - it's the only transmission. A N.Z. Mitsu spokesman has said: "There is no market demand for Manual in NZ."

Really? None?

Mirage just launched in Oz, and the company figures that about 30% of buyers will go for the manual transmission.

For a while, there was some uncertainty about whether the Canadian market would get the choice of 5-speed vs. CVT. Maybe that's because we are sometimes lumped in with the U.S. market, where lately only ~6.5% of new cars are sold with DIY gearboxes.

Fortunately, we found out last week that the Canadian Mirage (or whatever it ends up being called) will come with the manual. Woohoo! Because I wouldn't consider one if it didn't. Oh, I have my reasons - many of them actually. But I'll leave it at that for now, and ask:

What about you? Where do your transmission preferences lie?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    From what I've seen here on Philippine roads, the manual:automatic mix is about 50:50. The CVT is a 50,000 peso (US$1200) option. Given the horrendous Manila traffic situation, automatic trannys are a boon and a great stress reliever and most people who can afford the automatic would go for one. All the people who are interested in the car and approached me for my opinion told me that they wanted to spring for the CVT.

Manual or CVT, I don't mind either way. My mom's 2004 Honda Jazz (Fit) is CVT-equipped and I find it to be okay. I bought the manual primarily because of the lower long-term maintenance costs; I forsee keeping this car for ten years and beyond. I'm also the only driver who uses the Mirage, and everyone who may potentially need to drive it some time (my parents, my girlfriend, some cousins) know how to use the clutch and stick. I can afford the CVT, but the cheaper up-front cost is gravy.
    Last edited by Alpha_One; 01-24-2013 at 05:00 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Cost is a real factor.

That, plus manual transmisions are the original in-car entertainment systems.

I enjoy being engaged in the process (art?) of driving... but will admit I rarely drive in congested city traffic. Happy for that! (But if I did, I still think I'd opt for the manual, provided the clutch & shift weight was light.)

The only automatic I've driven that I really enjoyed is the CVT in some hybrids (Toyotas). I find the switching & blending of gasoline engine & electric drive, plus the ability to kill the engine and coast ... all achieved just by moving the right foot ... is engaging enough.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Darn right that manuals are more fun to drive!

Actually one feature on automatic transmission vehicles that I don't particularly care about is the "semi-automatic" (or "semi manual" as I like to call them) paddle or sequential shifting. Most cars that have them respond very slowly and/or treat the driver's commands as mere suggestions. That is, they prevent you from dropping the revs too low or too high and decide shift on their own anyway. A lot of these semi-auto gearboxes are programmed for "sporty" shifting; you can get actually engage overdrive earlier by leaving the car drive and using light throttle inputs. What's the point, then? Just leave it in drive.

That said, I've never driven a car with a DSG automatic. That may be a different experience to what I've just mentioned.

In stop-and-go heavy traffic, I actually prefer feathering the clutch to riding on the brakes. It's just that heavy clutches and shifters are quite literally a real pain. I can now kick harder with my left foot after three years of driving a Toyota Revo (a small truck-based vehicle that is only available in Southeast Asia and a few other countries). The Mirage's feather light clutch and short, light throws leave me much less exhausted after driving through the rush hour congestion.

Now that I think about it, when I drive the CVT Jazz in traffic I actually turn on the semi-auto button shift. I use it to force the box to use a shorter ratio so that it'll keep up with the traffic flow, otherwise it accelerates with the engine at idle speed. Prevents me from having to brake.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

One other "automatic" transmission style I have found interesting:

(Note: I also haven't tried a DSG yet either ...)

I've driven a few OEM electric vehicles with single-speed direct drive gearboxes. One of the neat features about those are the ones with "one pedal" driving mode, where the "top" (toward released) portion of the accelerator travel engages regenerative braking, while the "middle" is coasting and the "bottom" is acceleration. So you can do much of your driving with just your right foot. A little odd at first, but most people quickly come to like it.

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I prefer manual gearbox as i like to have full control with the gear selection.
    Also my experience is a manual box is much cheaper to buy and in maintaning if you keep the car for a number of years.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would only buy a Mirage with the manual shift, although I've owned just as many cars with automatics as with stick shifts in the last 40 years. My 3-cyl 1 liter Metro, which I owned for 10 years was a stick shift. My current car, a 2007 Toyota Yaris which replaced it is an automatic.

Did you try the Yaris with the manual? What made you choose the automatic?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did not try the Yaris with a stick shift, We needed a replacement car FAST because our son had taken our car out and totaled it (but not himself thank goodness) - and I asked my husband which transmission he preferred (he drives both), and he said automatic this time. Like I said we needed a car FAST as we were and are a one car family - so we bought this brand new one (no trade, no financing) over the phone - showed up at the dealership, ten minutes of paperwork, climbed in it and drove away. The 1st time my husband ever saw a Yaris hatchback was after the paperwork was done, just before we climbed into ours.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I also definitely prefer manual. I like the added control and being more 'connected' to the car.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)