Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Towing a trailer with the Mirage?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I think 600lbs of cargo exceeds the weight rating unless you weigh less than the average American?

Also the mirage is offered with different features that can effect towing performance in different markets. E.g Mirage has different sized brakes in different markets. The mirage also does not have a front sway bar & abs depending on your market. I am not saying that these would have a significant impact on your ability to tow. Just that there are differences that do have an impact.
    You might want to check your figures. https://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/en/...s/mirage/specs The important number is the GVWR which AFAIK doesn't vary much more than a few kgs between markets, if even that. The GVWR is somewhere in the 2950 lb. range and since the Mirage weighs 2000lbs. you have a total cargo capacity of about 950lb. Subtracting the 600 lb. total load including my light aluminum trailer then removing me @150 lb. and there's still 200 lb. of GVWR available. Well within safe limits.

Yes, tire sizes vary considerably among models. But AFAIK the GVWR is still the same even for the skinny tire models.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Good man Wallythacker, we can argue for a long time over towing with the Mirage. You might be surprised to learn this topic has come up before: Why Cant i tow with a mirage Lots of good posts & discussion there.

The Mirage is a great car! It can do a lot of things. One of those things for me has been towing light loads. I may have come close to the GVWR and maybe even exceeded it a little, all without incident,

In any case, I know I'm unlikely to change your mind or change other's opinions on this and I'm okay with that. This debate has been going on for a long time. I'm honestly not out to change opinions, we all have different levels of risk we find acceptable, I'm merely reporting on what I have done to date without anything negative happening.

And even one of those - the CJ-7 - would be a bad choice for towing. An accident in that would potentially be deadly for its occupants. But I've done it... The things I have seen CJ-7s towing make me cringe

Everyone's situation is different. All I'm saying is that an honest review of the facts will lead to the conclusion that the Mirage is not built for towing, is not a good choice for towing, I won't go so far as to make a blanket statement that strong and everyone here who has towed with a Mirage and not killed multiple innocent bystanders is proof of that.
    Respectfully, h

Are you sure about these claims? I know Mitsubishi changed brake size for 2017 but I didn't know they used different sized brakes in different markets, and I didn't know that Mitsubishi did not include ABS in different markets. Could you please provide some references for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Marklovski - I'm going to attack your question paying no attention to the legal side, or the manufacturer's side that states (at least in my owner's manual) in some fashion that towing is not recommended.

towing is gonna be WAY hard on a CVT ... temp wise.

I put an ATV on my utility trailer and towed it. And anything greater than a bunny hill, would pull the speed down off 65 mph ... in 5th gear. And probably bunny hills were pulling at nearly 100% in 5th gear at 65 mph. Wind drag is an issue with a Mirage. I rest my case. I sold my larger beautiful AL trailer (5x9) because the beautiful tailgate/loading ramp was a horrible wind drag.
    Name:  IMG_20221225_140728.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  93.0 KB

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    I'll add one more juicy nugget. When I finally get free of the chains that bind me, and I find just the right Boss Hoss, if it is any long distance away from me, I shall go retrieve it with my Blueberry and my utility trailer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I'm honestly not out to change opinions, we all have different levels of risk we find acceptable, I'm merely reporting on what I have done to date without anything negative happening.

I won't go so far as to make a blanket statement that strong and everyone here who has towed with a Mirage and not killed multiple innocent bystanders is proof of that.
    Risk - what one finds acceptable and what others don't.

We used to have a group of motorcyclists who called themselves the Starboyz. You might have heard of them. They would perform stunts on their motorcycles. Very impressive stunts too. But they would do their stunts on public roads. Maybe they thought their behavior was cool - not everyone agreed. And I'm not saying towing with a Mirage is a direct equivalent! I'm using this to illustrate how easy it is to have an idea go wrong.

Here's wishing you safe travels.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'll add one more juicy nugget. When I finally get free of the chains that bind me, and I find just the right Boss Hoss, if it is any long distance away from me, I shall go retrieve it with my Blueberry and my utility trailer.
    I forget, was it the SB Chev or the Rat?

If I have to fetch any JD riders with 48 or less cut it will be the Mirage.
    You can see why I miss my 60" wide trailer? Yep, it could handle so much more but realistically my 48" is more practical, plus it can tilt to load as well as having a small ramp. I have to get busy and mount the tongue box I have,

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Risk - what one finds acceptable and what others don't.

We used to have a group of motorcyclists who called themselves the Starboyz. You might have heard of them. They would perform stunts on their motorcycles. Very impressive stunts too. But they would do their stunts on public roads. Maybe they thought their behavior was cool - not everyone agreed. And I'm not saying towing with a Mirage is a direct equivalent! I'm using this to illustrate how easy it is to have an idea go wrong.

Here's wishing you safe travels.
    We had a pack of retards that would do 200mph wheelies on public roads, actually, finished but not open sections of new toll roads. This was about 2007, around the same time that Swedish wiener "ghost rider" was ripping up the roads with his 500 hp turbo hyabusa. (you guys ever wonder where I got the idea of a 1200 cc 500hp engine?) The Ontario idjits doing these stunts were 40+ back then, they weren't kids with baggy pants and backwards ball caps. One was called d'man. LOL. Talk about thinking highly of yourself. Anyhow, I guess morons like these spring up organically. too funny.

Safe travels you too my friend!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Are you sure about these claims? I know Mitsubishi changed brake size for 2017 but I didn't know they used different sized brakes in different markets, and I didn't know that Mitsubishi did not include ABS in different markets. Could you please provide some references for this?
    Below is a photo of the GLX Philippines trim mirage which i stole off the inter webs. It does not have ABS.
    Name:  image_preview.php.jpeg
Views: 45
Size:  62.6 KB

Thread about how the mirage has no front sway bar in some markets: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...in-all-markets

This guy on the forum claims his 2015 came with the larger brakes that we north American's got in 2017: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post84742
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-09-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I forget, was it the SB Chev or the Rat?
    I specifically want the ZZ4 (SB Chev). I've read enough about them that those that own them generally say the BB are cool, but they don't ride as well, don't cruise at interstate speed as well, and though they all guzzle gas, the BBs guzzle considerably more. Plus the ZZ4 bikes are less expensive. The ZZ4 bikes are the Mirage of Boss Hoss's.

I'm not following what JD Riders are...

I'm going to have to say the Ghost Rider videos were just amazing. 150 mph power wheelies carried for a mile or more through traffic ... oh my! I would ride about any motorcycle. But that 500 hp Hyabusa, I might pass.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you all so much for your opinions and insight.

Here's somethings I believe I have addressed:

1. I upgraded my brakes
    2. I upgraded my suspension with coilovers and airlift in the rear
    3. Legality? What's that?

Things I need to address:

1. Shape of trailer, anything with too much drag should be avoided. Best trailer for this is a lightweight pop up tent trailer. See below.
    2. Stability. Need to see if a tow stabilizer will help much.
    3. Power. Adding a little more horsepower/torque should help.
    Name:  Updated 4x6_SIDE.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  19.1 KBName:  camping-travel-transport-transparency-1099x1180 (1).jpg
Views: 36
Size:  82.9 KB
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Thank you all so much for your opinions and insight.

Here's somethings I believe I have addressed:

1. I upgraded my brakes
    2. I upgraded my suspension with coilovers and airlift in the rear
    3. Legality? What's that?

Things I need to address:

1. Shape of trailer, anything with too much drag should be avoided. Best trailer for this is a lightweight pop up tent trailer. See below.
    2. Stability. Need to see if a tow stabilizer will help much.
    3. Power. Adding a little more horsepower/torque should help.
    Just forget the #3. I don't believe anyone has done anything yet that is reasonably substantial and inexpensive. Yeah, I know about the dune buggy one that's been turbo'd or something and is making 200+ hp it seems. But that's not something an everyday Mirage owner could / would or should do.

On the other hand, if there were a 1,000 pound bottle of nitrous, that weighed 40 lbs or so, with a 30 - 40 hp safely tuned shot of NAWS would be awesome. But if towing, that 1,000 pounds of nitrous would be drained in, what 30 minutes? An hour?

Actually, this would be fun car to NAWS. However, even with a 40 pound, (theoretically) perfectly safe shot of nitrous, I think the car would still get outrun by ... perhaps every other car on the road. So why bother...