Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Warm Air Intake

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    How has the WAI been working out for you? Anything to update?

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think the WAI works well in this configuration. The intake air temp starts going up as soon as the engine is started. My engine gets up to operating temp (190 F, not 137 F when the low coolant temp light goes out) in the first couple miles. My intake temps get to about 120 degrees above ambient temps. My mpgs are still in the 50s, even when the weather is in the single digits F.

The WAI and grille block work together. Blocking or unblocking parts of your grille will change the temps you see through your WAI, because the airflow in your engine compartment changes.

I think it's important to have a scanguage or ultra gauge to read your intake air temps if you are going to make a serious WAI, or grille block. I think you can put in a crude WAI or GB and get away without the instrumentation, but your benefits will be smaller.

Buy a used scanguage, and if you don't like it, you will likely sell it for darn near what you paid. I bet you'll like it though. It's fun.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-11-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for the update.

How sealed / complex is your WAI where it 'connects' to the exhaust. I tried this one one of my cars and I had trouble getting that kind of temp increase.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have removed the intake snorkel on my Mirage. You only need to remove one or two 10mm bolts, then the snorkel pulls away from the air box. But, there are 2 holes in the side of the air box that go to the resonator and to the air intake that goes across the top of the engine. I have thought about routing a small pipe on the rear hole on the air box and run it down to the exhaust manifold. Then run a pipe to the second, larger hole and route that to the stock location. But on the end of the larger pipe, attach a thin piece of material blocking the inlet.

What this does is it makes the small pipe coming from the exhaust manifold be the primary air intake. But when the vacuum in the air intake increases due to a larger throttle opening, cooler air is then sucked in from the larger intake pipe.

I built a VERY similar setup to this on my old '98 Saturn SC1 and it worked great for increasing the intake air temps, but then lowering the intake air temps when I needed to get on the throttle hard, increasing the power only when I needed it.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

fifteenwindow (12-11-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's a great idea, 91cavgt. Some of the old air cooled volkswagens had a similar setup on the oil bath air cleaner. There was a preheat hose running to the heater box, and a weighted flap at the snorkel of the air cleaner. When the engine needed more air, the flap opened to take in ambient temperature air.

My WAI is a three inch diameter aluminum duct, like a flexible dryer duct. It hangs above the exhaust manifold by cable ties around the wiring loom, and just rests on the manifold heat shield. It is not attached. There is a hole in the heat shield that the WAI draws air through. Insulation makes a big difference in keeping the warm air warm. Aluminum transfers heat quickly.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  78.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

3dplane (12-11-2014),Daox (12-11-2014),Eggman (12-17-2016)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Holy cow!! You weren't kidding when you said you insulated the entire air box!!!
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, that's a piece of duct insulation draped over the WAI, air box and intake manifold. That blanket also keeps the wai from pulling in cold air that's coming in through the front of the car.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (12-12-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I ran a couple tests to see if the wai allows the engine to warm up faster in cold weather.

With WAI installed, 28 degrees F ambient temperature - coolant reached 190 F with intake air at 101 F at 2.9 miles.

Without WAI, 30 degrees F ambient temperature - coolant reached 190 F with intake air at 40 F at 3.7 miles.

Both runs were on the same route of 3 city blocks, then highway driving. Each run was on a different day, starting with a stone cold engine. I didn't run the heat or a/c on either run. The grille block and hood gap seals were on the car for both runs. I suspect the difference in miles to operating temp would be larger if I didn't have those installed.
    Last edited by fifteenwindow; 12-19-2014 at 01:37 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-19-2014),HitShane (06-30-2016),MetroMPG (12-18-2014)

Very interesting - that's the first I've seen someone attempt to quantify that. So thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have just run my own 3" ducting from the exhaust shield to the snorkle. I didn't spend too much time outside adjusting the ducting as it's -24C out but it is sealed properly to the snorkle....the results before the mod was ambient temp -24C with the IAT on my SGII showing-14C +/-2C.
    After mod the ambient was as before -24C but the IAT was -5C at the worst (high road speed soon after startup) to +12/14 C at idle parked, most times at 50/80 Kmh the IAT was 0/+5C, the variation is likely due to a draft at speed coupled with my loose fit to the exhaust shield, but well worth the $4 spent and 10 minutes in the cold!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

fifteenwindow (02-15-2015)