View Poll Results: What do you think of the Mirage's looks?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Looks good. I like it.

60 66.67%
  • It is fine, I'd drive it.

25 27.78%
  • It looks a bit dated.

3 3.33%
  • Ugly... just ugly.

2 2.22%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the Mirage's looks / styling?

Welcome to the forum, Mikhail.

Since you're in the U.S., have you seen this thread? The car was officially unveiled today: U.S. debut - 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage @ New York auto show: details, photos, specs

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Mikhail.

Since you're in the U.S., have you seen this thread? The car was officially unveiled today: U.S. debut - 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage @ New York auto show: details, photos, specs
    Yeah, checked out the Autoblog. Interesting is if they are going to bring us 15" wheels

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    According to the Mitsu press release the DE comes with 14" steel wheels and ES comes with 14" alloys. I bet they change that in following years to change things up.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Will cross my fingers for it to have 15" as an option at least.
    The DE is a good car for the base model. I will only miss the leather steering wheel.

I'm torn over the wheel/tire size issue. I definitely prefer the appearance of the 15's much more than the 14's.

But the 14's are more efficient: How wheel & tire size and style affect Mirage fuel economy/mileage

14's might be more economical at replacement time as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    You could replace the standed 15in tyres with better LRR tyres i guess but that would cost more money unless you wait till you have to replace the origanal fitted tyres. Wonder if the 15in wheel tyre combo weigh more then the 14in set.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I'm torn over the wheel/tire size issue. I definitely prefer the appearance of the 15's much more than the 14's.

But the 14's are more efficient: How wheel & tire size and style affect Mirage fuel economy/mileage

14's might be more economical at replacement time as well.
    i would also like to have the smaller one and the ones with the plastic covers
    they provide better air flow.
    but then i am stuck with the lower lever without climate control.....
    or i have to buy the higher lever and get 4 new compleet wheels with the covers.....

damm

I bet you could find someone to trade wheels -- someone who buys the lower level car.

Or just mention it to the dealership -- trade with another un-sold car. I bet the larger wheels would make it easier to sell the lower level car for most buyers.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Mirage's styling is appealing enough.

It's not head-turning, but neither is it ugly. Many critics have claimed that it looks dated already and recalls the 1990's jellybean fad of the day. Sure, parts of it are a bit bulbous, but it's all in the name of aerodynamics. The 0.28 drag-coefficient of the Mirage is impressive, making it more aerodynamic than a C5 Corvette, previous gen Porsche Boxster, or Nissan 350Z.

I personally prefer the smooth, rounded shape than many of todays overwrought designs. The fluidic sculpture of Hyundai looks different and exciting, but it does also look overdone from some angles and may not age well. Many Hondas have countless creases and edges that don't lead to anything. Even the latest Yaris looks awkward from many angles. The Spark looks disjointed. And the Nissan Versa Note, looks even more bland than the Mirage (almost like a toned down Aveo from 2004). The point is that new design languages may be appealing initially, but sometimes look bad years later and dated (1996 Ford Taurus?)

An example of a car that is never exciting to look at when new, but actually still looks modern many years later is the VW Golf. It's restrained lines and toned down styling may be boring at first, but there's nothing in its look that screams that its from a certain era. I think the Mirage's simple styling will age better than the Sparks or the Accent's years from now.

Without that in mind, I even like the look. The small letter box grill is straightforward, the greenhouse is clean and tidy, and the back flows nicely into the taillights and hatch. The overall shape may echo the Toyota Yaris, and the back even resembles a 95-00 Metro hatch or a Toyota Aygo, but that's not a bad thing

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, but what if you go against the grain and swap out the factory 175-55R15 tires for 145-65R15? I think the tire width is playing a larger role than the wheel design itself, but that could just be me.

edit: That was in response to Metro's comment about fuel economy.

My personal thoughts on styling: Is this thing from the 90's or the 2000's? Wait, it's new? Awesome - no rust!

Last edited by Dorifuta; 01-26-2014 at 05:02 PM.