View Poll Results: What do you think of the Mirage's looks?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Looks good. I like it.

60 66.67%
  • It is fine, I'd drive it.

25 27.78%
  • It looks a bit dated.

3 3.33%
  • Ugly... just ugly.

2 2.22%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the Mirage's looks / styling?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

What do you think of the Mirage's looks / styling?

What do you think of the Mirage's looks?

Many say it looks outdated and bland.

Personally, I think it looks pretty good. Not every new car has to be some huge styling statement. In fact, a lot of cars that reviewers say look horribly bland are the best sellers out there!

See also:
    Autoblog piece on Canadian Mirage/Colt premiere (mostly negative comments)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Daox; 01-11-2013 at 11:03 PM.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

A bit dated??

"Hey, Mitsubishi! Hyundai called - they want last decade's styling back!"

I think the Mitsu concept car it's based on was somewhat interesting, but the transition to production version lost what very little character the concept had - any "crispness" is gone. Production version looks "pudgy", maybe because it sits on small wheels (by today's standards). Like an overweight lapdog with short legs.

That said, it's not exactly offensive, it's just utterly lacking in style.

Having said all that: the styling (or lack thereof) wouldn't sway my decision to drive one. I definitely would, because the engineering/design specs matter more.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

1990s??? Do you remember the 90s, because the 94 Mirage above doesn't look anything like the new one.

If anything it looks like the 1st gen Yaris...

... or its rival the Alto which is a current model.
    Last edited by Daox; 01-12-2013 at 11:58 PM.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I think the mirage looks good there are much worse looking cars out there.

Jamie

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey guys, glad to be a part of this!
    I say compare it to the type car it is supposed to replace: Firefly, Swift, Tercel, etc.... Ultra cheap and efficient. No frills transportation.
    I think it looks better than those old cars...cars that have been suspiciously absent from North America for years....until now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mechman600 For This Useful Post:

MirageES (10-19-2014)

Hey mechman - glad to see you here.

Agreed - it's better looking than most of those older cars. Styles change...

However, the surprising thing is it's actually got a ton more safety and convenience features than those old cars had. AND more power... yet it may turn out to be just as or more efficient. We'll know more soon...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I owned a Metro hatchback for ten years, before that a Plymoputh Horizon hatchback, and before that a VW Rabbit hatchback. Now I have a Toyota Yaris hatchback. Unless the Elio [Google Elio Motors] actually comes to market - at or near its advertised price, I will certainly consider owning one of these Mirages. Numerous magazine reviewers are calling the Mirage bland, dated, and of little interest to Americans. Apparently all of those journalists choose to overlook the hundreds of thousands of affordable, basic, A-class city cars that have previously been sold in the US.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    It's not exactly a Jag E-type or a first-generation Ford Mustang, but it's a rather neutral, inoffensive style. I'd certainly have one in green, blue, white, or red, in that order...

...hang on, I already have a green one in my garage! A lot of people see my car and think it's rather cute, actually.

It's not a photogenic car, that's what I would say. It looks much better in the flesh (metal?) than in the pictures. Seeing the green one on the brochure made me think "Hmmm, that's nice, I think I'll have that". Subsequently seeing it in person made me go "ga... ga... I love this color!"

I think it'll age better than, say, the Hyundai Eon, Chevrolet Spark, or Kia Picanto.

Name:  2012_hyundai_eon_gls_mt_78_000_00_down_payment_96998639983214939.jpg
Views: 6697
Size:  55.5 KB
    Name:  2012-chevrolet-spark-photo-275029-s-1280x782.jpg
Views: 2002
Size:  89.8 KB
    Name:  2012-kia-picanto_600x0w.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  49.4 KB

When we look at those cars 15 years from now we'll go "that look is soooo 2012!"
    Last edited by Alpha_One; 01-22-2013 at 12:12 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

"Neutral" is timeless, eh?

I suppose.

When I was younger I took a course on personal financial management (budgeting, saving/investing, retirement planning, etc.). bThe instructor was clearly a frugal guy who had a big investment portfolio. He even made a point of talking about fashion in terms of money management: "Don't get caught up in the latest fashions - keep it simple: A blue or black blazer and a nice white dress shirt will never go out of style."

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I wouldn't go so far as to call the styling timeless - the Jag E-type is timeless, but as your finance instructor would say, it wouldn't really go out of style.

For example, Hyundai's aggressive "fluidic" design is starting to wear a little thin on me especially after seeing it on every car they've had during the past two years. The much more conservatively styled, current-generation Toyota Corolla, despite being three or so years older than the current Elantra, has never wowed but it hasn't really gotten old.

Hyundai Elantra:

versus

Toyota Corolla Altis

Last edited by Alpha_One; 02-22-2013 at 02:13 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)