Thread: Mitsubishi reliabiity

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mitsubishi reliability

Curious if forum members have owned/own other mitsu autos and what the reliability was/is. The following would be beneficial:

Model
    Year
    Pro's
    Con's

Cheers.

Last edited by 74HP; 12-19-2013 at 10:52 PM. Reason: typo

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I own my Lancer GTS since July 2010. Currently it has about 57K miles. Recently, I changed the CVT fluid (6K miles ago) and spark plugs.
    - 70% is driving in the city
    - 30% is on highway

Pros: superior
    Cons: not found

Took the car for 3 trips, which were about 3,500 miles each; and 2 trips were 1,800 miles each. Sometimes I drove it on road that required high clearance 4x4 Jeeps. The roads turned out to be really rough. I don't know how my Lancer survived them. Very strong car.

I haven't had a single day when I regret about making this choice.
    Name:  lan4.JPG
Views: 710
Size:  60.2 KB
    Carhenge.

Name:  lan2.JPG
Views: 657
Size:  68.4 KB
    Racetrack Playa, Death Valley, CA

Name:  lan1.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  78.5 KB
    Somewhere in Utah, Offroad, UT

Name:  lan3.JPG
Views: 708
Size:  39.8 KB
    Yellowstone, WY
    Last edited by Mikhail; 12-21-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wow. Sounds like a great car and thanks for the feedback

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I currently owned an older Mitsubishi (put in garage as well). This was my dream car from when I was a kid and now i had the chance to own one I immediately searched the whole country for it.

Model: Galant
    Year: 2000 sharkface

Name:  _DSC8686_Snapseed.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  93.7 KB

KM bought: 128.000
    KM now: 195.000ish (my uncle is using my galant to go to work and vacation at this moment since I own winter tires).

Pro's: very comfortable, with standard suspension it's like driving on flying carpet
    changed suspension to a sport one: very stable yet aggressive driving is possible (my style)
    Easily beat new BMW 318i, and i don't even own the v6. My buddy has the V6 and beat audi A6.
    Never has starting problem
    Very reliable.
    Changed the normal stuffs from ageing, no breakdown expenses, soon will have to change the bougies.

Cons: heavy car, cost me a lot of road tax since NL road tax based on car's weight.

Name:  galant_2.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  95.3 KB
    Last edited by m4v3r1ck; 12-21-2013 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Pics

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a 99 Montero Sport with around 300,000 miles when I traded it in. She was a great little suv

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    Name:  lan3.JPG
Views: 708
Size:  39.8 KB
    Yelsowstone, WY
    Wonderful pic!

--------

I have one Mitsubishi horror story... from 1983.

My parents bought the first "minivan": a 1984 model year Dodge Caravan with the Mitsu-sourced 2.6L inline 4 cylinder. That thing was in the shop a lot in the first year needing engine work. Excessive oil consumption (faulty piston rings). And coincidentally: faulty ring gear on the flywheel.

My brother in law, on the other hand, had a 1st gen Colt/Mirage clone and he said he drove the daylights out of it. The only thing that ultimately killed that car was his own admitted abuse.

My brother had a Mitsu-produced 1990 Plymouth Laser turbo (Mitsu Eclipse clone). What a blast to drive that was! No problems with it. Sold it after 3 or 4 years when he started a family.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My first car was a 1994 Dodge Stealth (AKA Mitusibshi 3000GT)

Mitsubishi has been making engines longer then most manufactures. their motors are solid.

My stealth was still running strong at 245k miles (warped the head gasket at 183k miles..) and I sold it about 4 years ago. It was involved in a few minor accidents due to it being the first car for my cousin as well as myself... overall it was a fantastic car and I'd love to own one again. Only small things went wrong with it - power window motors was my main issue. nothing else ever went wrong. The a/c didn't hold a charge, but that did not bother me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2010 Yaris 1.5 manual: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Banned
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Consumers Reports and J.D. Powers puts them close to the bottom of the reliability ratings for a reason. Because they have earned that spot.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS has 116,689 miles on it and is running sound as a pound. Be hard ta stray from a carmaker that builds such solid engines as Mitsubishi then plops a beautiful body on top such as my Lancer GTS. My favorite carmaker is only getter smarter and better all of the time. Period.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsuman For This Useful Post:

Mikhail (01-09-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We had an '81 Champ that was purchased for $150 that went 135,000+ miles . That had the 1.6 ltr. with a 4 speed manual and the twin stick ( Power / Economy ) . That is one our all time favorite cars . Was used for pizza delivery and 2 rural paper routes that covered 100+ miles each . One was on the weekend and the other was 365 days of the year . Also used for regular driving . Miss it .

Last edited by cinder; 01-10-2014 at 03:21 AM.