Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 165/65r14 Tire Discussion

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Since I bought my Mirage in October of 2017, I somewhat watch the 165/65r14 tire market.

If I needed a good all-season tire, I would most likely buy the new Kumho Solus TA51a (made specifically for the Amercian market). This tire has replaced 3 or so of their former tires like the Kumho Solus TA31 that had a 165/65r14 offering. These tires have been $92/tire everywhere since they first appeared.

My 2nd choice (maybe first if the price was right) would be the 165/65r14 Nexen N'Priz AH5.

For those (*) who are repulsed by Korean tire companies, a new tire has appeared on the scene that seems interesting. The new tire is the Armstrong Blu-Trac PC 165/65R14 79T BSW. A few things make this tire interesting.

1. It's very affordable. $63.10/tire @ tires-easy.com, $62.99/tire @ Walmart.com, & $61.99 @ simpletire.com.

2. It's not made in China. I am led to believe these tires are made in Thailand.

3. It has the best warranty & UTQG rating I have seen for a 165/65r14 tire. Impressive 85,000 mile warranty/700AA rating

By comparison, factory Dunlop tires are 340AB/no warranty & factory Falken tires are 320BB/no warranty.

* 7milesout

I made this post with 7milesout in mind. I don't share his negative view of Kumho or Nexen tires.

Given their low price, I might give these new Armstrong tires a try if I was someone like him. Not having tried them, I can't vouch for them. If someone has, please speak up. They are somewhat new on the scene, however.

Last edited by Mark; 04-12-2024 at 11:21 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As I was researching for the previous post, I discovered Discount Tire Direct is merging with Tire Rack. See below -

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/

Tire Rack would not be my first choice for buying new tires. They seem to corner the market on the Vredestein tires, however. For other brands of tires I would shop elsewhere (compare prices at least).

On a positive note, I have to believe a local Discount Tire store would be a tire installer for Tire Rack tires. Discount Tire stores still list their tire offerings on their website. Are they the same tires/prices as Tire Rack? That I don't know?
    Last edited by Mark; 04-13-2024 at 12:11 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    As I was researching for the previous post, I discovered Discount Tire Direct is merging with Tire Rack. See below -

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/

Tire Rack would not be my first choice for buying new tires. They seem to corner the market on the Vredestein tires, however. For other brands of tires I would shop elsewhere (compare prices at least).

On a positive note, I have to believe a local Discount Tire store would be a tire installer for Tire Rack tires. Discount Tire stores still list their tire offerings on their website. Are they the same tires/prices as Tire Rack? That I don't know?
    Discount Tire has purchased Tire Rack:

Discount Tire Is Acquiring Tire Rack
    Quote Originally Posted by moderntiredealer.com
    Dec. 3, 2021

Two of the largest names in the tire industry will become one. Discount Tire, the largest independent tire dealer in the U.S. with 1,100 stores, is acquiring Tire Rack, the industry's oldest and largest online tire seller.

Discount Tire says the acquisition shows its commitment "to provide the most inviting, easy, and safe omnichannel, (business-to-business) B2B, and fleet customer experiences in the world."

The transaction is expected to close Dec. 31, 2021.
    I didn't even know, and it's already old news!

Tire Rack & Discount Tire
    Quote Originally Posted by discounttire.com/customer-service
    Is Tire Rack owned by Discount Tire?
    Yes, Tire Rack is now a part of the Discount Tire family.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    ...Discount Tire Direct is merging with Tire Rack.
    I must be living under a rock because I didn't know that, either. And it happened over 2 years ago.

For what it's worth, Discount Tire bought Tire Rack. So even if the website says Tire Rack, you are ultimately dealing with Discount Tire now. I've had nothing but good experiences at my local Discount Tire. So hopefully that's a good sign that the Tire Rack will continue to be a good resource for tires, etc.

I can't find any hint of this on Tire Rack's website. But if you scroll to the bottom of their home page, I noticed a link to Discount Tire at the very bottom...

Name:  tirerack.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  47.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I must be living under a rock because I didn't know that, either. And it happened over 2 years ago.

For what it's worth, Discount Tire bought Tire Rack. So even if the website says Tire Rack, you are ultimately dealing with Discount Tire now. I've had nothing but good experiences at my local Discount Tire. So hopefully that's a good sign that the Tire Rack will continue to be a good resource for tires, etc.

I can't find any hint of this on Tire Rack's website. But if you scroll to the bottom of their home page, I noticed a link to Discount Tire at the very bottom...

Name:  tirerack.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  47.3 KB
    Tire Rack is known for their online tires & wheels (overall good service), & Discount Tire has a good store reputation.

The only real change I see is that Discount Tire Direct no longer exists. Discount Tire Direct had more tire options & maybe some better deals than the Discount Tire store website. I called it a merger, but it may not have been the best use of terms?

If I had a Discount Tire near me, I would surely give them my business at times. Prior to the TPMS mandate, Tire Rack was a nice way to buy winter tires mounted/balanced on steel rims. They would come shipped all ready to go. TPMS complicated all that.

I don't mean to knock Tire Rack. I have found buying tires from Walmart & having them mounted/balanced there to be cheaper in recent years. I also have a Walmart in my county. Tire mounting & balancing is an added cost. If local Discount Tire stores handle that for Tire Rack, I could see that being a good thing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,039 Posts
    * 7milesout

I made this post with 7milesout in mind. I don't share his negative view of Kumho or Nexen tires.

Given their low price, I might give these new Armstrong tires a try if I was someone like him. Not having tried them, I can't vouch for them. If someone has, please speak up. They are somewhat new on the scene, however.
    Mark - I would say yes, I think I will find the Armstrong's interesting. If I were forced to find a complaint about the Mirage though, it would be road noise. I think the engine sounds pleasant. And yes the road noise is loud, but that's to be expected with an inexpensive car. So if I could find a quieter tire, that would be a positive and would reduce the road noise. That keeps my interest in the Vredestein tires, they've gotten really good ratings for noise. But for the $s, I'll be looking into the Armstrongs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Mark - I would say yes, I think I will find the Armstrong's interesting. If I were forced to find a complaint about the Mirage though, it would be road noise. I think the engine sounds pleasant. And yes the road noise is loud, but that's to be expected with an inexpensive car. So if I could find a quieter tire, that would be a positive and would reduce the road noise. That keeps my interest in the Vredestein tires, they've gotten really good ratings for noise. But for the $s, I'll be looking into the Armstrongs.
    If these Quatrac 5 weren't highly discounted, I would never buy them. I don't have high expectations for them, but I am hoping they might be decent in snow. They are a three peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) tire. If not, I have my Forester, which I took snow tires off of yesterday. It was 80F, but we could still get snow. It's Wisconsin!

I wish more customer reviews existed for the new Kumho Solus TA51a tires, because they may be the standard to judge all other 165/65r14 tires.

"Solus TA51a tires feature a high-grip silica compound molded into an asymmetric tread pattern designed to maintain traction in all weather conditions. Technological advances, such as the noise-canceling ribs integrated directly into the tire's grooves dissipate road sounds. 3-Dimensional chamfered edges of the tread blocks take advantage of the tire's natural deformation under load to maximize tread contact. Quad circumferential grooves help expel water to resist hydroplaning, while high 3-D sipe density enhances both wet weather handling and wintertime snow traction."

I took that quote from the Tire Rack website.

Kumho is claiming "resonance noise cancellers" within their threads. Here's a dude making reference to their low noice feature -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fipnZgQXk3g

Here is their ad mentioning this feature near the end -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30hJ8sDBYqE

I won't need tires any time soon, but Kumho is probably getting my money next time I make a tire purchase.

I think Kumho & Nexen dominates the 165/65r14 tires market, & nothing else is even close.

Thus, I'm glad we have guys like 7milesout to test the cheap Armstrong tires for us!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Update on my Vredestein Quatrac 5 order -

Two of the 4 tires arrived today. I expect the other pair will follow tomorrow. Tire Rack claims this happens often.

Tires were made 4923, which I interpret as April 9, 2023 or September 4th, 2023. It's very possible they are over a year old already, which would indicate shipping caused the 16 month delay.

Tires were made in India. I wouldn't get overly excited about these tires, but I still hope they are OK.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Update on my Vredestein Quatrac 5 order -

Two of the 4 tires arrived today. I expect the other pair will follow tomorrow. Tire Rack claims this happens often.

Tires were made 4923, which I interpret as April 9, 2023 or September 4th, 2023. It's very possible they are over a year old already, which would indicate shipping caused the 16 month delay.

Tires were made in India. I wouldn't get overly excited about these tires, but I still hope they are OK.
    I thought the first two digits refer to the week, next two to the year, so your tires were made in the 49th week of 2023, just before Christmas

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigMW For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-16-2024),Fummins (04-16-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    I thought the first two digits refer to the week, next two to the year, so your tires were made in the 49th week of 2023, just before Christmas
    That could be right! Thanks!

I ordered them on December 23, 2022. They made them for me a year later!