Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage vs. Nissan Versa sedan

emdeplam - how did you get a Micra rental in WA? And a manual shift rental?? Maybe you're in Europe...

I've also driven the Micra - I've spent about 3 weeks total trying various trims & both transmissions since it became available in Canada in 2014.

It's definitely the car you would choose if you were a typical "enthusiast" driver. The Canadian motoring press loves it.

Notable: Canada is the only country where the Micra gets both front & rear stabilizer bars as standard equipment. I don't think it's a coincidence they made that decision, after seeing what the North American press consistently had to say about the 2014 Mirage's handling.

Also notable: the Canadian Micra has the exact same engine & manual trans as the Versa. But the automatic is an old school 4-speed slushbox instead of CVT.

It's not nearly as efficient as a Mirage (especially if you get the automatic), but most buyers say they're happy to pay more for fuel as a trade-off for the fun-factor (acceleration/handling/steering) that the Mirage lacks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    emdeplam - how did you get a Micra rental in WA? And a manual shift rental?? Maybe you're in Europe...

I've also driven the Micra - I've spent about 3 weeks total trying various trims & both transmissions since it became available in Canada in 2014.

It's definitely the car you would choose if you were a typical "enthusiast" driver. The Canadian motoring press loves it.

Notable: Canada is the only country where the Micra gets both front & rear stabilizer bars as standard equipment. I don't think it's a coincidence they made that decision, after seeing what the North American press consistently had to say about the 2014 Mirage's handling.

Also notable: the Canadian Micra has the exact same engine & manual trans as the Versa. But the automatic is an old school 4-speed slushbox instead of CVT.

It's not nearly as efficient as a Mirage (especially if you get the automatic), but most buyers say they're happy to pay more for fuel as a trade-off for the fun-factor (acceleration/handling/steering) that the Mirage lacks.
    MetroMPG- In France. Definitely would give it the edge for fun factor. Certainly not a comprehensive comparison but running this thing thru winding country roads is a blast. Inside it felt comparable space wise and for visibility (am tall). Ruled out the Versa early on when I purchased my Mirage, but if the Micra was in market it would have been a tough rival.

The Euro Micra is closer to the Mirage than the Canadian Micra, since across the pond it comes with a 1.2L triple (optionally supercharged) and available CVT.

In Canada, the Micra uses the same 1.6L 4-cyl that comes in the U.S. Versa sedan & Note, and the optional automatic is an old-school 4AT slushbox.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I bought my 2015 Mirage (in 2016) I also test drove and researched the base model Versa also in 5 speed

Ultimately I chose the Mirage because it had better fuel economy, It had 7500 service intervals rather than the 5000 service intervals of the Versa (Fewer oil changes and filter replacements)

Also the base model Versa had a backseat that would not fold down (You had to actually REMOVE the backseat completely with tools) So that was going to get real inconvenient, real quick since I bring home large pieces of baseboard, lumber, lawnmowers, ladders, Sheetrock and other stuff from Home Depot

Also the interior of the Versa was so spartan and plain and just reeked of economy and cheapness.

Another thing was the dealerships. The Versa was the #1 selling vehicle in its class so the Nissan dealers where not quite as eager to bargain and lower the price compared to Mitsubishi.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Also the base model Versa had a backseat that would not fold down (You had to actually REMOVE the backseat completely with tools) So that was going to get real inconvenient, real quick
    HA! The G4's rear seats don't fold either, and on ALL trims, not just the base model. Mitsu should at least offer a folding seat on the upper trims.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    HA! The G4's rear seats don't fold either, and on ALL trims, not just the base model. Mitsu should at least offer a folding seat on the upper trims.
    Wow, I was not aware of that on the G4.

A fold down backseat is a must-have. I dont consider it an amenity like a sun-roof or electric power seats

And in reality I doubt it costs them more than $50 for the hardware that makes the seats fold down. Definatley not a place to cut corners.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Wow, I was not aware of that on the G4.

A fold down backseat is a must-have. I dont consider it an amenity like a sun-roof or electric power seats

And in reality I doubt it costs them more than $50 for the hardware that makes the seats fold down. Definable not a place to cut corners.

Yep, this really sucks!
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've owned both the Versa (2012) and currently the 2014 Mirage. They've both got their pros and cons, like any car. The Versa felt more premium in demeanor. Better NVH. The steering and handling was much sharper. It was a better rounded car in terms of refinement and driving dynamics. Unfortunately it had horrible driver ergonomics and the driving personality of a toaster. The overall quality was pretty lousy too. Mirage definitely does not drive as well, but it has a lot more personality and is more entertaining to drive...even if it feels like it has the steering and suspension of a 1991 Buick Park Avenue. It's also equipped way better, making it a more tolerable car to drive. I don't regret trading in the Versa one bit. The lack of a folding rear seat was a big bummer for my lifestyle.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to palebeachbum For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-10-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    It's my understanding that a crossmember of some kind goes across that area behind the rear seat. Since it's almost certainly there for structural integrity it would be a hard thing to work around.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Although that makes logical sense, i'm not sure it's the case. The Versa does offer a folding rear seat, at least on upper trims.