Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirage averages 70 mpg (US) / 3.4 L/100 km / 29.7 km/L in six ecodriving contests

If you had followed in your Prius behind the "top" Mirage in each of these contests, I'm sure you would have beaten their results.

In my experience with Toyota hybrids, the key to stellar mileage is causing the engine to shut down at every possible opportunity -- ie. completely lifting off the accelerator to kill the engine for long engine-off coasts while approaching stops/turns/downhills, etc. That, and minimizing brake usage.

I took a friend out in his Lexus hybrid a few months back and we saw 70+ MPG / 3.4 L/100 km in sub/urban driving. "Real world?" Probably not for most people, but not stupid slow or holding up other drivers, either (though it wasn't busy).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Those are crazy good numbers even for non real world traffic conditions driving!

Only a handfull of times did I ever manage to make the display on my mirage go above 70mpg at the end of my 27 mile commute back to the house. Going the other direction to work, 67.5mpg was the best I ever got on the display.(must be an elevation difference)

And in those cases I had little traffic ruining my hypermiling for short periods of time. Also those runs included engine off coasting down to stupid low speeds that I simply can not consider real world driving,and I normally don't slow down that much.

Might as well get out and push the car with the key on engine off at that point.

So these guys did great regardless of their actual driving conditions is all I'm trying to say!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Would be nice if members could get pictures of the overall average and the amount of miles ( trip , A or B ? ) for each tank to post . Gallons used and a picture of the gas gauge would be a welcome bonus .

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zxit View Post
    I could not beat those numbers even with my Toyota Prius. The best I got with it was 50+ mpg.

I just filled up my Mirage cvt again and again it posted 45 mpg. That's just driving around town. I have no complaints.

p.s. I've owned several hybrids and this car smokes 2 of them.

Keep the faith.

-Zxit
    what are those that are smoked

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spacester View Post
    what are those that are smoked
    LoL! I should say all those cars are just a memory but what they got for mpg I remember.

The cars the mirage beat are "smoked"...

A 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid CVT 43 mpg tops.

And my previously owned 2011 Honda CR-z "CVT" best was 40 mpg

As for...

cinder
    Would be nice if members could get pictures of the overall average and the amount of miles ( trip , A or B ? ) for each tank to post . Gallons used and a picture of the gas gauge would be a welcome bonus .
    I will check and see if I can get some pictures of my gas fill ups. "45 mpg" I did do some videos before I filled the tank and as I drove off but it is very hard with people behind me in a hurry.

Sorry for any mistakes I'm not perfect.

Keep the Faith!

-Zxit

Zxit say... It's a Mirage. LoL! But I love it.