Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any CVT tips?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Any CVT tips?

Hello everyone, the mirage is my first car with an automatic or cvt. Are there any tips for getting good fuel economy in a hilly area? I used to put my manual transmission car in neutral and just let it roll back home. Is it OK for this cvt to be be but from N to D while moving? Is there any advantage to using the B function instead of leaving it in D and using the brakes?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Hi Marrero - welcome to the forum!

It's OK to coast in N with the CVT, as long as the engine is running. I'd be wary of re-engaging "D" at speed if it does anything unusual though (like clunks or engages roughly). If it re-engages smoothly, I'd do it with my car.

B mode saves brakes on long descents. Depending on what engine RPM you'd have in "D" vs. "B", you may save gas due to "deceleration fuel cut-off" (DFCO) mode, which shuts off fuel above a certain RPM when you release the accelerator. (Not sure what the RPM threshold is in the Mirage though -- a ScanGauge would tell you this.)

If you can drive stick, how come you didn't you get the manual Mirage? It might have even saved you more gas than the CVT, depending on what type of driving you do most. EG: Mirage CVT or 5-speed: which should you get for best gas mileage/fuel economy?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site Marrero. MetroMPG has some good tips for you.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I tend to find autos don't like changing from n to d while noving. My old car would lag between shifting.
    Also isn't wise as it puts strain on the gearbox

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome. If it were me, I would shift from drive to n or n to d while moving

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrero View Post
    Hello everyone, the mirage is my first car with an automatic or cvt. Are there any tips for getting good fuel economy in a hilly area? I used to put my manual transmission car in neutral and just let it roll back home. Is it OK for this cvt to be be but from N to D while moving? Is there any advantage to using the B function instead of leaving it in D and using the brakes?
    Welcome.

Personally I would not do it "from neutral to drive". Way back in the 90s LoL! driving between Florida and Maine with my family in a Geo Metro I did just that, shift into N from D going down the mountains and everything seemed fine until I opened the hood and seen drops of tranny fluid had come out of the trannny breather. "transmission breather"

The Mirage is a great car and a good purchase I'm seeing 45 mpg around town.

Keep the Faith!

Zxit
    Zxit say... It's a Mirage. LoL! But I love it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips, me and my wife use one car, I would have loved to get another manual but despite my best efforts to teach my wife, she still freaks out at the thought of having to drive a manual car. So I would have to chauffeur her around and drive our frequent road trips solo.

I tried out the B setting this morning and it holds the engine at a really loud 3k, I'll keep trying it out but I think I might just leave it in D.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Three tips for you:

1: Use cruise control.
    2: Use cruise control.
    3: Use #%^&ing cruise control!

No, seriously, when you're going at a steady seed, the CVT is smarter than the average trans. With a set cruise speed, it knows exactly how much rpm and throttle is needed at any given speed above 25, and chooses the most economical RPM range possible. With cruise off, the CVT and engine are somewhat sure of your intentions, but not 100% in sync with your right foot (since a telepathic ECU hasn't been invented yet), so they leave a slight margin of error. Cruise control will generally hold 150-300 rpm lower and only kick down into low range when absolutely necessary, where having cruise off will provoke a downshift into low much more easily.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorifuta For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorifuta View Post
    Cruise control will generally hold 150-300 rpm lower
    Didn't know that -- really interesting!