Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any CVT tips?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Your commute is 0.8 miles each way?? Is your bicycle broken? Just kidding.

Seriously, though: no car is going to get its EPA rated fuel economy from a cold start in a drive of 0.8 miles. Fuel consumption is significantly worse before the car reaches full operating temperature -- not just the engine coolant, but transmission oil, bearings, tires too. All of those things have to reach peak, stable running temperature before a car is delivering its maximum fuel economy.

It's likely you'll end up with a better fuel economy reading, but you may burn more fuel overall. Only way to tell is compare both routes and record/crunch the numbers.
    lol, yeah .8 miles each way but it's Uphill both ways (<-Sarcasm)
    i used to walk up the hill before i had a car out here and having to hall all my equipment up that 25% grade hill at 6 am is no fun.
    i've been reading that the 0w-20 oil is a little better than most and that small engines tend to warm up quicker because of the smaller volume of coolant.
    i'm going to start combining my morning trip so i can drop my wife of at work first and then climb the hill after which should probably help out the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    That is a good idea. Combining trips almost always improves efficiency, especially short ones due to the warm up.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Warming up the car completely also helps the health of the catalytic converter getting fully up to temp, also better for the cooling system because it allows the thermostat to actually cycle open and closed.