Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New feature online now: fuel economy log / fuel consumption tracking

New feature online now: fuel economy log / fuel consumption tracking

Hi everyone -

Just wanted to let you know we're planning to add a new feature to the site that will permit members to log, track and compare their fuel consumption.

(UPDATE - Feb. 12: it's now ready to try. See post #10 for more info.)

It would give us a good way to see how well the Mirage is doing in the "real world": Imagine a database of lots of Mirages being tracked, where we can see which ones are doing the best based on equipment/options, plus reports on driving conditions/driving style from the owners.

The feature would create/update a graph on your personal log page each time you enter your latest fill, something like this:

As well, this would be a way for you to monitor your progress over time (eg. good for setting a goal, or discovering if something is not right with the car if your consumption changes suddenly).

What do you think? Interested? For those of you who already have the car (Alpha_One, aamd and noob@cars), would you use it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    What a great idea hope it gets lots of use.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I would love to give it a try! What should I do to get this tool started?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 37.0 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.4 mpg (Imp)

Thanks for the reply, noob@cars!

I also heard from Alpha_One via Private Message, and he's interested in using it as well.

I have already made a feature like this for a different forum, but it's on an older version of the forum software. If I'm very lucky, it will all be backward compatible and I can just copy it over here with minimal changes.

More likely though I'll have to rewrite some of the code in my free time, so a week or so is probably realistic.

I will report back in this thread when I've got some news.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Status update on the fuel economy log:

It's going better than I expected. So far I've only run into a few bugs caused by the difference in forum versions. After I iron those out, I just need to make it pretty (that's actually the bigger problem: the page formatting went a little crazy).

So, expect this to be ready to go next week.

More to come...

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Awsome can't wait

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Sounds like a great feature to me. I'd really like to see a full 'garage' where you can put in what car you have, any modifications done, show some pictures, keep track of mileage, etc. I know that is exactly what you wanted to hear.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Of course you would like to put more on my to-do list!

I'm traveling today, and have catch-up work to do tomorrow. Then it's back to finishing the fuel log. Should be available to try out by the end of the week.

Update: the version differences turned out to be a little more of a problem than first appeared.

But it's nearly ready -- tomorrow or the next day for sure!

Mirage owners: Fuel log is ready to try

Hi everyone -

The fuel log is finally ready to try.

There are more features coming, but I'll introduce those once there's some data in the log from multiple cars.

• Everyone will now see a "Fuel Economy Log" navigation tab at the top left corner of each page (beside the "Forum" nav tab).

• I've taken the liberty of entering vehicles for each member who already has a Mirage. So, Alpha_One, francism1980, aamd and noob@cars , you will see your vehicles on the list already.

• Click "View fuel log" and you'll be able to add entries on your own log pages ... if you're logged in.

• Feel free to enter a "nickname" for your car to distinguish it from the others! You can edit your vehicle details by clicking your car's link in the list. (I'll also be adding a photo/thumbnail upload feature soon, as well as more detailed summary data about each car's fuel consumption.)

FYI, I made up the Mirage for "2012MY" to test out the log... but it's not made-up data. It's actual fuel consumption for a new Mirage (in Malaysia) that I found elsewhere on the web.

Log for: 2012 Mitsubishi Mirage