Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone try a K&N drop in air filter yet?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Anyone try a K&N drop in air filter yet?

Has anyone tried a K&N stock replacement (not a pod filter) drop in air filter yet? Speedlab in the Philippines claim a 2.5hp gain from it.

In case anyone is interested, we have the info on the filter in our parts list here:

Engine & transmission aftermarket parts index

The K&N number is: 33-3016

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Speedlab in the Philippines claim a 2.5hp gain from it.
    Very doubtfully. However, I installed K&N filter to my Lancer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I have my doubts too. It seems high considering the engine size. There is also the fact that the air filter is oversized to begin with. If you look at the cross reference on the K&N website, the same filter is used on about half of Mitsubishi's fleet including the EVO which pushes just under 300 hp. However, they do own their own dyno, and have tested all their other mods that they make...
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Banned
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I just installed mine a few days ago. Didn't feel any SOTP difference. It sounds maybe slightly louder at WOT. My mileage prior to the install was around 21.8mpg. It made a slight mileage difference (increase) in my 1998 4-Runner. Not seeing the same gas mileage, but that's probably due to my more aggressive driving after getting more accustomed to this car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vicarpity View Post
    I just installed mine a few days ago. Didn't feel any SOTP difference. It sounds maybe slightly louder at WOT. My mileage prior to the install was around 21.8mpg. It made a slight mileage difference (increase) in my 1998 4-Runner. Not seeing the same gas mileage, but that's probably due to my more aggressive driving after getting more accustomed to this car.
    How are you getting such awful gas mileage ? Anything less than 35 is just unimaginable to me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clessy For This Useful Post:

TXmirageGUY (11-09-2018)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vicarpity View Post
    Can you confirm the part # listed? Speedlab says that the part # is not correct. If you double check the dimension from knn, it does not match the stock oem dimension.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    How are you getting such awful gas mileage ? Anything less than 35 is just unimaginable to me.
    I got about the same MPG when I had a full load AND had a heavier than usual foot. I guess my mind was compensating for the weight of the passengers so I was mostly on half-throttle and revving up to 3.5-4k.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    At least for my US model, that size is not correct. I'm measuring 9.875" x 4.75" for my filter size. The closest is this here, model number 33-2211 http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=33-2211
    Last edited by Cani Lupine; 06-09-2014 at 05:32 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

breathe

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade:
    Unless a filter flows more CFM you aren't getting anything out of it. The laws of physics apply to the K&N, just like the cheaper stock filter.
    I doubt the K&N has a higher CFM (in practice/reality/real world application) than stock. It's nice that they're reusable, however often after 'cleaning' they are so oil saturated they actually are more restrictive.
    A waste of $$ IMO.
    Get fresh OEM-type paper elements every oil change and you'll be good-to-go.

P.S. changing (i.e., replacing the used one) the air filter to a 'basic' (albeit new & clean) FRAM on my 1998 Ranger netted a 3+ MPG increase.
    Last edited by Minihaha; 06-09-2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: added info
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minihaha For This Useful Post:

Basic (06-10-2014),kerc (06-10-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Amen brother... so many people have wasted so many dollars on K&N filters. They are good for race cars... pretty much it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)