Thread: Tourque APP/Scan gauge/ ultra gauge

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Tourque APP/Scan gauge/ ultra gauge

not sure if i posted this here but i would like to train myself and the wife on how to get higher mpg on our mirage. is anyone using these products? and are they even useful with the cvt? i heard that things like load affect mpg a lot but you cannot do much to control this on a CVT can you? i have an android and a phone mount so the tourque app seems like the most cost effective but what senors can it read on the mirage that would be useful for fuel ecconomy?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Anything that offers instantaneous fuel economy feedback would be helpful. Plus read up on the CVT tips:

Thread: Rally driver gives fuel economy tips for driving the CVT Mirage (Video)

There are specific suggestions about what RPM range to accelerate and cruise at. (RPM being dictated by right foot.)

The key to improving MPG is tracking your results and making it a game. If you make the same trip (commute) every day, keep a notebook in the car (or use your phone) to record the result for each direction. Reset the average trip fuel economy before each leg and try to beat your previous "high score". Use an "instant" meter to manage your right foot during the drive itself.

In the city, the #1 technique to work on is focus on the brake pedal: "Only fools rush in" to situations where they have to brake firmly (converting gasoline into brake dust). Instead, let off the gas early and coast in to stops/turns/transitions as much as possible/practical. Keep the car moving by leaving ample following distance so you don't have to brake every single time the car in front does, and watch ahead for red lights/slowdowns so you can keep as much momentum as possible.

On the open road, the gas pedal is the issue. The faster you go, the more you burn!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Darin is right, any gauge will help.

Its like loosing weight... Can you tell if you lost 1-3 lbs? Probably not. You would need a scale to tell you. So, if you try something, weigh yourself, and see that you have lost 2 lbs, you know to keep doing it. But, if you don't know, you can't keep doing it. Same with the instrumentation.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)