Thread: Transmission and speed (CVT question & fuel efficiency)

Country
    Israel
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Transmission and speed (CVT question & fuel efficiency)

hey.
    I bought my mirage about 3 months ago, and I still didn't get how the CVT transmission is going up or down, or at what speend I got the last gear so my car could be more fuel efficient?.

You get the best fuel economy at the lowest engine RPM (when cruising).

Did you see this thread?
    Speed vs. mpg/mileage/fuel economy chart - Mirage 1.2L 5-spd and CVT

Also:
    Rally driver gives fuel economy tips for driving the CVT Mirage (Video)

What type of driving do you do most? (City, highway?) What fuel economy have you been seeing?

How do you like the car?

Sorry, lots of questions. Welcome to the forum!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    hey thanks
    most of the time I drive in the city, I keep 60 km/h at low rpm as you say about lower then 1500.
    but when I get my car to 80 my rpm is about 2000, and when I try to acclerate to 100 km/h seems like the gear don't raise up and stay low and when I try to get back to 2000 rpm my speed is getting lower again. seems like I need to pass some X speed to get to the last gear?.

No, there's no special speed where you get "top gear" like regular automatics.

And at 100 km/h is a bit too fasst to hold 2000 RPM.

EG:

From thread: Gear ratios: 2014 Mirage transmissions, 5-spd manual & CVT (speed vs. RPM chart)

In that chart normal "Drive" gear is "2nd gear". To go 100 km/h, you need at least 2100 RPM on level ground. Higher RPM at 100 if you have the air conditioning on, or if you're driving into the wind, or if you have a car full of passengers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    ok thanks!
    now that you mention the "sport" mode is it really usefull?
    I tried passing cars with it and it feels like the engine doing more noise then actually gaining speed.

I'm not certain. I think Sport mode just holds a higher RPM under light/moderate engine load, so it's "ready" to deliver power more readily/quickly than when in "Drive". But if you floor the accelerator when in Drive, it will give you the same RPM & power as Sport mode, it just takes a second for the gearing to adjust.

I would just leave it in Drive.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I'm not certain. I think Sport mode just holds a higher RPM under light/moderate engine load, so it's "ready" to deliver power more readily/quickly than when in "Drive". But if you floor the accelerator when in Drive, it will give you the same RPM & power as Sport mode, it just takes a second for the gearing to adjust.

I would just leave it in Drive.
    I kinda wish they would've just kept it simple and not had the Sport mode. I want the simplest design possible to keep cost down and longevity up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Sport mode adds next to nothing cost wise. Its a little extra programming and an additional switch.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)