Thread: Safety - Offset frontal crash article

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Safety - Offset frontal crash article

http://autos.ca.msn.com/news/canadia...-crash-tests-2

Got me to thinking - the manufacturers must design to the test, in at least some ways. I would like to think they also aspire to make the safest cars, but of course they want top ratings. It seems that the new offset test caught them off guard.

What tests are done? Side and front impact, of course, and maybe rollover potential? What others could be done - maybe impacts with wildlife or other things of that size - a barrel rolling off a truck - front and rear impact together?

It is unfortunate, but I think the biggest danger to the Mirage is not a pole at 64km/h, but a full size suv coming at it at 120km/h+ (from any angle, I suspect survivability would be low). Of course a 2000 lb car is not going to fare well against an 8000lb car, but I can take that chance if I know they engineers have done the best they can within the space they had.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    the chances are way less here in europe, not much SUV and trucks around ;-)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    There is lots more info about the IIHS results over here:

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...deos-pictures)

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)