Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lubrication

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Lubrication

I was recently told nobody cares about it. I took that to mean that the individual who made the comment considers themselves a nobody. Well, if they don't care then they should have nothing to say if a ramble a bit about a topic those who remained silent do care about.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    @ grumpy: In the past I've been told being to technical and the topic itself too highly technical and uninteresting for the forum anyhow. Me thinks basic physics and mechanics should be understandable for anybody that successfully passed grade eight. Some here can be a little sarcastic and like derailing threads going in undesired or non-understood directions. Personalities and interests are very different indeed, but thats life and we shouldn't take everything too seriously, especially ourselves. Einstein said, "Wenn ich mich selbst zu ernst nehme, bin ich nicht mehr ernst zu nehmen!". So much for that, period.

Thank you for giving me and a few others better insight to various aspects of engine oils. That was neither too high to comprehend, nor boring. However in this forum we do have a plethora of very old oil threads of which many were going in fifth grade level circles. Some say the world is a zoo and it take all sorts...
    Last edited by foama; 03-05-2024 at 08:05 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-05-2024),defensivetackle99 (03-05-2024),Fummins (03-05-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Sooo, this isn't really about Lubrication as the thread title suggests? I thought this would be another in-depth study of tribology.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @foama: Wise advise. @Eggman. It is what I said it was. Relax.

Let's start with something anyone can understand. Even those that didn't pass eight grade science. Two simple questions.

What happens when you leave bread in the toaster to long? What happens to the bread in the bag while you're toasting the other?
    Last edited by Grumpy Bear; 03-05-2024 at 03:12 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 998 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    What happens when you leave bread in the toaster to long?
    Too long? That would depend. It would depend on the state of the toaster. If you just put in the toaster for "too long" it would go stale, and then mold. If you put it in the toaster and turned on the toaster and the toaster was performing within design parameters, the bread becomes toasted, then over toasted and beyond.

What happens to the bread in the bag while you're toasting the other?
    That bread degrades a small amount.

I don't dislike the detailed lubrication threads. However, I guess my mind tends to revert to sort of a value type of thinking. I tend to keep my vehicles long term. I take good care of them, but I don't take exceptional care of them. Because the likelihood that any of my vehicles getting to 350,000 miles with either me or a loved one behind the wheel is near 0 likelihood. The chances of my Mirage getting to 150,000 miles with me or a loved one behind the wheel is pretty darn low. Because, even if we plan to keep it long enough to rack up that many miles, with the amount of distracted driving going on on our roadways I think it's much more likely to be crashed before it makes it to 150k miles.

And in my estimation, following a simple regular maintenance plan and driving like a sane person will EASILY have the car safely and efficiently on the road when a 16 year old female wipes it from existence while staring at TikTok videos. The difference in efficiency and performance between just a regular maintenance plan and one where I select more expensive maintenance items over the life of my use of the vehicle, I don't believe I would notice. Meaning, it's doing regular maintenance that I believe to be paramount versus the minutia within the maintenance done.

It's not that I don't find the details interesting. I just tend to pick & choose what I think is important for my application.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-05-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    @foama: Wise advise. @Eggman. It is what I said it was. Relax.

Let's start with something anyone can understand. Even those that didn't pass eight grade science. Two simple questions.

What happens when you leave bread in the toaster to long? What happens to the bread in the bag while you're toasting the other?
    I watch clips on oil change intervals from time to time, & the general consensus is you don't want to leave your bread in the toaster too long. Having taught 7th grade science for over 30 years, I don't feel qualified to speak beyond that grade level on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    It's not that I don't find the details interesting. I just tend to pick & choose what I think is important for my application.
    That's basically how I feel but I worded it differently. Whoops

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @7milesout, you get partial credit and a trip to the corner with the pointy hat.

Toast it too long and the bread burns. Now, what is too hard? If you've owned more than one toaster you know they are all different and as a matter of fact, not all bread toasts the same.

ILSAC and the API have a very precise toaster and use the same toaster. To receive a given SAE classification every loaf that gets the seal must toast but not burn and they decide what is burnt toast and what is good enough. All you know when you see that seal is that it didn't burn in THIER toaster.

So, tell me Einstein why the general public decided that 3K miles or 5K km was a benchmark for every toaster and for every type of bread? Why would the OEM decide twice that length or more was fine. It is pretty universal, so the answer isn't "tons of research". See the OEMs own both the toaster and the bread in that they tell you which bread to use. CASH COW.

Evidently the people that have responded so far don't mind burnt toast and don't mind needlessly buying new toasters. Fact is they don't want anyone to know how to make better toast. That kids, is not ambivalence. So, let's try some different questions.

Why is it so important to shovel dirt on this thread? What motivates you to keep everyone in the dark? Is it impossible for you who have no interest to just not reply? What do you get from this disruptive behavior.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

foama (03-06-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 998 Posts
    GB - I don't mind the corner or the pointy hat. But it is my opinion that there is more to the story than JUST that the cash cow is the answer. However, I agree that the cash cow is the answer ... on the American side.

You might not have seen past posts. But I did design engineering for Toyota. I did pretty good with them. Toyota IS THE KING. Why, because they are what they say they are. They do what they say they do. However, my perspective is TMC ... Toyota Motor Corporation. That is the company I worked for ... the Japanese company. They are the badasses. But then there's TMS. Toyota Motor Sales. That is the American side of the business. And they are par for the course with all the other thieving apes in the automotive business.

TMS - Meaning the American dealerships are all about liquor, golf, guessing and $$$$$'s at all cost. TMS doesn't know chit about cars. That are a SALES organization. They are slimy used cars salesmen from bottom to top. But TMC, they are a different sort. They are really smart guys who try their darndest to make a product the people will be happy with and will buy more. And they do good work. I was blessed to get to work with TMC. If TMC recommends 7982 mile oil change intervals, that's what I'll do, because I know there is real work that went into that number. However, the instant TMS (or any other OEM sales) says anything, I jam peanut butter in my ears.

I would imagine Mitsubishi is similar. The owner's manuals are written by engineering side corporate workers. Not the sales side. Like I said, the American side sales guys don't know chit about cars. They know sales, and sales tactics. The sales side will scare you into spending your money. They'll say you need 3k mile oil changes when the manual clearly says otherwise. Guess which one I KNOW is correct? I listen to nothing a dealer has to say. I just use those baboons to change a part or 2 here and there if it is covered by warranty. Otherwise I take my vehicles to a private mechanic for any repair I cannot or do not want to do. I think I found a new mechanic. Another diamond in the rough. I'm about to find out. He's who my last good mechanic (who is now out of the bidness) recommends. He's gonna do a clutch in my (son's) RX8.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

foama (03-06-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    @7milesout, you get partial credit and a trip to the corner with the pointy hat.

Toast it too long and the bread burns. Now, what is too hard? If you've owned more than one toaster you know they are all different and as a matter of fact, not all bread toasts the same.

ILSAC and the API have a very precise toaster and use the same toaster. To receive a given SAE classification every loaf that gets the seal must toast but not burn and they decide what is burnt toast and what is good enough. All you know when you see that seal is that it didn't burn in THIER toaster.

So, tell me Einstein why the general public decided that 3K miles or 5K km was a benchmark for every toaster and for every type of bread? Why would the OEM decide twice that length or more was fine. It is pretty universal, so the answer isn't "tons of research". See the OEMs own both the toaster and the bread in that they tell you which bread to use. CASH COW.

Evidently the people that have responded so far don't mind burnt toast and don't mind needlessly buying new toasters. Fact is they don't want anyone to know how to make better toast. That kids, is not ambivalence. So, let's try some different questions.

Why is it so important to shovel dirt on this thread? What motivates you to keep everyone in the dark? Is it impossible for you who have no interest to just not reply? What do you get from this disruptive behavior.
    Every toaster I ever owned had different settings, which allowed me to make the same perfect toast every time!

My perfect toast, however, may not be someone else's perfect toast!