Page 20 of 66 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: How many miles/kilometers on your Mirage/Space Star so far? (PLUS! Leaderboard)

Thanks for posting that link, Eggman. I couldn't find it.

It's also interesting that the CVT in the Versa is the same unit that's in the Mirage: the JATCO CVT7. Chevy Spark uses it too.

You would think if one make was having trouble with them, it would show up in all makes. Although you could probably make the case that the Mirage's transmission is less stressed than those cars since it's hooked up to the least powerful engine of the three.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

We have a car at work that just went over 250000kms/155000miles.

And I agree with you metroMPG, I personally haven't seen a cvt failure in one of the Mirages here at work but we had a 2014 Spark that was constantly having the cvt replaced. After the 3rd new one was replaced under warranty we sold the car with 130000kms.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-23-2017),MetroMPG (03-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

It's also interesting that the CVT in the Versa is the same unit that's in the Mirage: the JATCO CVT7. Chevy Spark uses it too.

You would think if one make was having trouble with them, it would show up in all makes. Although you could probably make the case that the Mirage's transmission is less stressed than those cars since it's hooked up to the least powerful engine of the three.
    There is also a tuned in delay for throttle response (on the Mirage) with the CVT. I thought this was to keep the target Fuel economy, but maybe it had more to do with longevity of the CVT...
    Last edited by HitShane; 03-14-2017 at 02:31 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

I can personally attest from first hand experiencing owning a Versa for 2yrs and 56k miles that although it may be the same CVT that's in our Mirage, it feels, sounds and behaves like a totally different transmission. At speeds below 40mph or so, the Versa CVT emits a soft whistling noise. When taking off from a stop, it sometimes makes creaking and popping noises. It employs automatic engine braking when traversing downhill while letting off the gas, and has a weird delay and kickdown sensation when taking off from a stop. It also feels like it has a locking torque converter at highway speeds. Engine Rpms don't vary at all when cruising on hilly interstates like it does in the Mirage. Its a much better highway car for that reason, but failure prone and a bad quality car. I suspect there are a lot of changes to the software that manages the CVT behavior, since they're the same CVT, yet behave so differently.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    I can personally attest from first hand experiencing owning a Versa for 2yrs and 56k miles that although it may be the same CVT that's in our Mirage, it feels, sounds and behaves like a totally different transmission. At speeds below 40mph or so, the Versa CVT emits a soft whistling noise. When taking off from a stop, it sometimes makes creaking and popping noises. It employs automatic engine braking when traversing downhill while letting off the gas, and has a weird delay and kickdown sensation when taking off from a stop. It also feels like it has a locking torque converter at highway speeds. Engine Rpms don't vary at all when cruising on hilly interstates like it does in the Mirage. Its a much better highway car for that reason, but failure prone and a bad quality car. I suspect there are a lot of changes to the software that manages the CVT behavior, since they're the same CVT, yet behave so differently.
    I agree with your assessment of differences in programming on the CVT. I think that Mitsubishi engineers obviously put some thought into the process and wrote some decent software for the CVT. Since the the JATCO CVT7 is used in a variety of small cars it has really been problem free for the most part around the world in the Mirage. Now in the Spark & Versa it has been a real problem with lots of premature failures and drive-ability issues. Could an extra 30 hp cause all the premature failures on it's own? It obviously might be a contributor but I believe that the primary factor is substandard software that causes over stressing and heating issues which of course will shorten the life of any transmission dramatically.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

first Mirage past 250,000 kms / 150,000 miles

We have one Mirage with over 252000kms and a the rest between 3000-160000kms.
    Last edited by MetroMPG; 03-21-2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: (copied part of post from another thread)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-23-2017),MetroMPG (03-21-2017)

Fummins: hope you don't mind I copied part of your post (from another topic) into this thread.

Thanks for keeping us updated on your fleet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

This was this morning Attachment 8548
    Attachment 8547 It's starting to de badge itself. Not sure when it fell off but I'm glad there aren't any holes behind the emblem.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-21-2017),MetroMPG (03-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess I should post here more often. I bought my 5 speed Mirage November 2014. It's a 2014 model and I've got 140,000 miles on it so far.

The only problem I've had is the tpms. One of the sensors broke inside a tire about 40,000 miles ago. I had the sensor replaced but the tire shop I was at wasn't able to reprogram it because of an issue with their programmer.

I'll get around to getting it reprogrammed some day.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-23-2017),Eggman (03-23-2017),Fummins (03-23-2017),MetroMPG (03-23-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Sounds like you are getting your money's worth.

You must have worn through some tires along the way. What are your favorite for the Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)