Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Exhaust Ideas ... again.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    @sunbeam - If you mean the red highlighted item in post #1, that red highlighted item is the resonator. I think generally they're empty inside. That volume change (I don't know how to say this correctly) throws off the resonant frequencies, at least by a great deal, so that it greatly reduces or eliminates drone.

@Space Wolf - No problem with the late timing. I, for one (I'm sure there's others) don't mind some thread drift or late comments or whatever. You never know what might come out of such things. When and if I get off my dead lazy arse, I'm going to swap my stock exhaust with one in which I will experiment. So, if I don't like what's going on with my experimental exhaust, I'll put my stock exhaust back on. In post #7 (I believe it was) in the far bottom left is the 2nd cat. 2nd cat at least on U.S. models of my 2020 model year. I'm going to drop that catalyst, but keep the first catalyst. I'm going to look into it a bit more, but it seems the 2nd one really only helps emissions with the first seconds after startup. Sounds counter-intuitive, you'd think the first one would be the pre-cat. It must have to do with the materials of the 2nd cat. Anywho - from my understanding it only helps about 1% or 2% as much as the first, from my understanding. I may get nothing out of removing it. I'll collect data (dragstrip).

I got all discombobulated this weekend. I spent a couple hours loading sticks / brush / yard debris onto my utility trailer Friday after work. Only to have it rain hard at about 6 am Saturday, then find out the recycle center was closed. Then my son wanted to use the truck I was going to, so I had to unload grass bags out of the back and clean the bed out because he was wanting to truck camp in the bed. He wasn't at home at that time to do it himself. It was wet and sloppy the rest of Saturday so I didn't make it to the junkyard as I didn't want to have to lay in the slop. Then had a kill-dawg headache the first 2/3rds of Sunday. Then the wife wanted to duke it out Sunday once I felt better ... what a waste of a weekend.
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...tic-converters

A yes I see now.

The additional extra noise does not seem worth the potential benefits to me.

The other thing to note as others have said, when you delete the resonator this will change the exhaust flow, meaning some sort of tuning could be expected I think.

That being said, would be interested to hear your results with this.

Last edited by sunbeam; 05-07-2024 at 02:27 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,454 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    The additional extra noise does not seem worth the potential benefits to me.
    With respect, I think you might have missed my point. Or else I haven't communicated my point very well. The 2nd sentence is more likely.

The additional noise is the only benefit I'm pursuing. But I want the noise to be a) not excessive, and b) not annoying.

Here's a makeshift list of what I'd like to achieve.

• A really cute noise, for such a cute heavy haul tow rig.
    • Not too loud, I want to be able to crank it at 6 am and not be waking the neighbors.
    • Not an annoying fart can type of sound.
    • No reduction in power. If it gains a bit of power, so be it. I will take hp data to confirm. Any gain in power is going to be pointless, it will still get crushed by all other cars on the road.

If one can imagine the sound of a BMW inline 6, that is opened up just a little. That is a sweet sound. An inline 3 is just not going to sound like that. The best I can hope for is perhaps a friendly version of a 6V71 sound. It's a very difficult thing to put into words. And perhaps, even more difficult to achieve.

@Grumpy - I just exactly now realized ... a few years ago, I jettisoned the stock muffler on my dad's 4.8L GMC Sierra, in place for a Borla muffler I had taken off my Scamp. Muffler for muffler. The Borla is just a middle of the road sound for them. It was a great muffler, I just wanted the Scamp louder. But it was PERFECT on my dad's (now mine) truck. It sounded as if his 4.8L engine put on its big-boy pants. It will not wake the dead, or the neighbors. But it sounds just so nice. And at highway speeds, you'd have to have really great ears to hear it when cruising. It still muffles nicely. But around town and while accelerating, it gives the truck just the right amount of "attitude." That level of sound is Ed Zachery what I'd like to achieve with the Blueberry. So, yes, I think you are Ed Zachery right. I shall now investigate into a good muffler even Cherry Bomb type muffler to replace into the stock muffler position.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (05-08-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    With respect, I think you might have missed my point. Or else I haven't communicated my point very well. The 2nd sentence is more likely.

The additional noise is the only benefit I'm pursuing. But I want the noise to be a) not excessive, and b) not annoying.

• Not too loud, I want to be able to crank it at 6 am and not be waking the neighbors.
    • No reduction in power. If it gains a bit of power, so be it. I will take hp data to confirm. Any gain in power is going to be pointless, it will still get crushed by all other cars on the road.

If one can imagine the sound of a BMW inline 6, that is opened up just a little. That is a sweet sound. An inline 3 is just not going to sound like that. The best I can hope for is perhaps a friendly version of a 6V71 sound. It's a very difficult thing to put into words. And perhaps, even more difficult to achieve.

@Grumpy - I just exactly now realized ... a few years ago, I jettisoned the stock muffler on my dad's 4.8L GMC Sierra, in place for a Borla muffler I had taken off my Scamp. Muffler for muffler. The Borla is just a middle of the road sound for them. It was a great muffler, I just wanted the Scamp louder. But it was PERFECT on my dad's (now mine) truck. It sounded as if his 4.8L engine put on its big-boy pants. It will not wake the dead, or the neighbors. But it sounds just so nice. And at highway speeds, you'd have to have really great ears to hear it when cruising. It still muffles nicely. But around town and while accelerating, it gives the truck just the right amount of "attitude." That level of sound is Ed Zachery what I'd like to achieve with the Blueberry. So, yes, I think you are Ed Zachery right. I shall now investigate into a good muffler even Cherry Bomb type muffler to replace into the stock muffler position.
    Dad put Trush glass packs on everything. Loved the sound.

Take the resonator off the air intake. 1 10mm bolt, and you'll have instant full throttle race car sounds! Or did you try that already?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Take the resonator off the air intake. 1 10mm bolt, and you'll have instant full throttle race car sounds! Or did you try that already?
    No, I haven't tried it. Seems like there could be some (performance) disadvantage to doing that. Or am I wrong?

And ... you're saying the resonator, not the whole snorkel, right? But taking off the resonator, won't that leave it open behind the snorkel, rendering the snorkel useless?

I gotsta know ... me like instant full throttle race car sounds!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

No, I haven't tried it. Seems like there could be some (performance) disadvantage to doing that. Or am I wrong?

And ... you're saying the resonator, not the whole snorkel, right? But taking off the resonator, won't that leave it open behind the snorkel, rendering the snorkel useless?

I gotsta know ... me like instant full throttle race car sounds!
    Yeah, remove the entire snorkel. It sounds gives it the flipped air cleaner sound of yesteryear. I did it to mine briefly when trying to pinpoint a random squeek. It felt like it had .0009 more hp in certain scenario's but I found it almost embarrassingly loud, probably be cause I have the non race car cvt edition. And it's not blue so it's generally just slower.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll try it, and report back. Heck, it might call for a drag strip pull...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

The sweetest sound for the street is the flat six Porsche under full throttle. And not these recent luxury rides. The twin turbo whale tail ride.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (05-11-2024)