Thread: Should I buy this thing: 2020 Mitsubishi Mirage ES

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Should I buy this thing: 2020 Mitsubishi Mirage ES

There's a 2020 Mitsubishi Mirage ES that I'm considering. Do you think this is a good deal? If not, what do you think is fair?

I test drove it and it seems to drive straight (good), but I would definitely get the alignment assessed. It has all four original tires, which is reassuring, but only has ~16k on the odometer.

The VIN came back clean. The only thing that makes me go hmmm is that it was painted from Sunrise Orange Metallic to black. Does this worry anyone else, or do we trust that it was an aesthetic decision?

What else should I consider? Open to any/all suggestions.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ModernistDinosaur View Post
    ...it was painted from Sunrise Orange Metallic to black. Does this worry anyone else
    Yeah...that's a HUGE problem. Something isn't right with this car. Nobody would do a color change on a 4 year old Mirage. It's super expensive to do it right...especially in black. That doesn't make sense. The interior seems a little dirty/dusty for a super-low mileage car, too. This thing spent some quality time sitting inside a body shop. My guess is this car was in a collision and was repaired...and that's when they decided (for whatever reason) to do the color change. I would walk/run away from this one...especially at that price. No under-hood pics, either. And why is this dash piece missing?

Name:  missing_cover.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  88.2 KB

If you were even thinking about buying this car, you would have to pay a body shop to look it over. It's just not worth the hassle and risk. I wouldn't buy this car if they cut the price in half.

A "clean" carfax doesn't guarantee the car was never in a collision or has not had body work done. I Googled the VIN number expecting to find this car at a Copart auction...but nothing came back (TIP: Always google the VIN number of any car you are looking at. You might be surprised what you find).
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; Yesterday at 03:47 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (Yesterday)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The fact that this dealer don’t want to provide a Carfax, auto check, whatever it called, for FREE is already a red flag to me. It sounds decent on the listing but that doesn’t mean ANYTHING.

Too much $ for no peace of mind IMO.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.2 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.3 mpg (Imp)

It's weird that it was repainted. The emblems from the hatch are missing. It's hard to say why it's now black...It looks like it hasn't moved much since being sent through auctions a few times.

For me,I wouldn't want a repainted vehicle unless it's cheap enough. This one doesn't look very clean inside, possibly a repo special? Who knows, at that price I'd keep looking. But if you really want a loaded 5spd and don't care about what it'll look like in a year(paint flaking off?), maybe lowball them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    As Top_Fuel pointed out, there are random trim pieces missing in odd places (like the side cover on the cowl). Something just feels a bit off—thanks for confirming my suspicion!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ModernistDinosaur View Post
    As Top_Fuel pointed out, there are random trim pieces missing in odd places (like the side cover on the cowl). Something just feels a bit off—thanks for confirming my suspicion!
    We joke about no one wanting to steal a Mirage, especially one with a manual transmission.

Having said that, this car reeks of red flags all over it to me!

Too bad, too! I like both the orange color & the 5-speed manual powertrain.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    I'd consider it, just not at that price. Unless the odometer has been tampered with, that car should be good for many miles.

Though I wonder why the backup camera warning is in Spanish?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)