Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil consumption ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    Guy drives home drunk five nights a week for fifty years. Never has an incident. Never gets a ticket.

Should I conclude that drinking and driving is safe? It's the problem of anecdotal evidence. Bigger problem is that people will follow that fool's example and swear by it, to it and for it. Site it as evidence to its validity.

Data would not just suggest but prove otherwise. Seems common sense.

The problem with common sense is....it isn't commonly used.
    It's not a one size fits all type of topic.

Grace drove the same car for 60 years. Midas should have seen her coming (23 free lifetime mufflers later)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii3-ipaNnGs&t=5s

For Grace, 1,000 mile OCI worked for her.

For Brian (delivery man in the Chicago area) 10,000 mile OCI got his pickup truck to over 1,000,000 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAi9o8SXjNg&t=137s

Most of us fall somewhere in between.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-31-2024),Grumpy Bear (01-31-2024)

I suggest that some people shouldn’t buy a Mirage, they just don’t have enough common problems to overanalyze and worry about. Where is the fun in owning a vehicle that’ll likely outlive the owner? Buy a Colorado instead, they seem nice…
    https://youtube.com/shorts/x-oKPUopA...flixR80QQFitzQ

Calling people stupid or pointing out their stupidity are generally recognized as acts of condescending judgment. We disapprove of what others did, why they did it, or even how they did it, and so we call them or their actions stupid as a way to reflect our disbelief or disgust. In this sense, the act of naming the behavior of others as stupid is a simple way to vent frustration and express displeasure.

But calling someone stupid is not just a mechanism for psychic or psychological relief. Although we may feel better or even superior when we lash out like this, it may not be the only reason we do it. There may also be underlying sociological components at work here. A possible explanation is that calling someone stupid is an attempt to reinforce the boundaries of group norms and solidify our social (or collective) identities.

If you think about it, one of the underlying sentiments we are suggesting when we call someone stupid is: “Why can’t you just act like the rest of us?” We are shocked that others could act so unintelligently because these actions fall outside the expectations of normative behavior. It is hard for us to understand how someone could act this way when everyone else, or at least most of us “normal” folks, does not engage in these sorts of uninformed thoughtless actions.

In addition to identifying norm-breaking behavior, categorizing others as stupid might also be an attempt to secure our social or collective identities. Calling someone stupid is no doubt often understood as a patronizing insult; however, it can also be a not-so-subtle plea to bring someone back into the fold of the social group. The underlying sentiment, “why can’t you just act like the rest of us,” also may contain within it an expression of concern. If someone with whom we align ourselves is acting stupidly, then our collective identity is potentially soiled and threatened by their actions.

ps: everyone is stupid if they don't do what I do. Or if they do? I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-31-2024 at 06:13 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Basic (01-31-2024),twister77 (01-31-2024),Wil B (01-31-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Fummins - Your whole post above was just plain stupid.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Fummins - Your whole post above was just plain stupid.
    It happens.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

foama (02-01-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I suggest that some people shouldn’t buy a Mirage, they just don’t have enough common problems to overanalyze and worry about. Where is the fun in owning a vehicle that’ll likely outlive the owner? Buy a Colorado instead, they seem nice…

Calling people stupid or pointing out their stupidity are generally recognized as acts of condescending judgment. We disapprove of what others did, why they did it, or even how they did it, and so we call them or their actions stupid as a way to reflect our disbelief or disgust. In this sense, the act of naming the behavior of others as stupid is a simple way to vent frustration and express displeasure.

But calling someone stupid is not just a mechanism for psychic or psychological relief. Although we may feel better or even superior when we lash out like this, it may not be the only reason we do it. There may also be underlying sociological components at work here. A possible explanation is that calling someone stupid is an attempt to reinforce the boundaries of group norms and solidify our social (or collective) identities.

If you think about it, one of the underlying sentiments we are suggesting when we call someone stupid is: “Why can’t you just act like the rest of us?” We are shocked that others could act so unintelligently because these actions fall outside the expectations of normative behavior. It is hard for us to understand how someone could act this way when everyone else, or at least most of us “normal” folks, does not engage in these sorts of uninformed thoughtless actions.

In addition to identifying norm-breaking behavior, categorizing others as stupid might also be an attempt to secure our social or collective identities. Calling someone stupid is no doubt often understood as a patronizing insult; however, it can also be a not-so-subtle plea to bring someone back into the fold of the social group. The underlying sentiment, “why can’t you just act like the rest of us,” also may contain within it an expression of concern. If someone with whom we align ourselves is acting stupidly, then our collective identity is potentially soiled and threatened by their actions.

I'm lost. What was this in reply too?

That was directed at stop oil protesters.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

twister77 (01-31-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yea, I'm still lost. It's okay.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts

Mind blown.

Good stuff! I feel less stupid just by reading this, although I'm probably too stupid to realize I'm fooling myself here.
    Last edited by Eggman; 02-01-2024 at 08:56 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Good stuff! I feel less stupid just by reading this, although I'm probably too stupid to realize I'm fooling myself here.
    I'm smart enough to realize that I'm pretty stupid.

I was sort of considering an anti-oil burning plan. Let me know if y'all think this plan is stupid. I'll make a spreadsheet in order to ensure this plan works effectively. So, right now my 3-Tapper is not burning any, or much, oil. But when I begin to notice a drop on the dipstick, this is what I was considering to do. Let's say I notice it is halfway down. At that time, I'll take some previously unused oil, and put it down inside there with the rest of the certified pre-owned oil. And I'll put an amount that would make the level on the dipstick very close to the upper line. And then I'll drive the sheeeeeat out of it to make sure the final blend of oil is mostly homogeneous (don't discriminate on my oil). I don't know, that's probably stupid.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Mind blown.