Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil consumption ?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Get a cuppa. Lengthy story about modifications done while under warranty. And a good lesson on the importance of temperature and viscosity. ��

2005 I buy a new Harley TC88 dresser. These motors hold about 4 quarts of 20W50 and have a spin on filter. Gerotor oil pumps and the timing chains use a resin shoe to hold tension. Not equipped with a cooler or thermometer and they run HOT. These resin chain tension shoes are considered consumables and are routinely changed every 30-35K miles. No uncommon to replace the chain every or every other service.

On the first oil change and observing oil tank temperatures over 250F I swapped the Harley oil for Red Line HP 20W50 car oil. On the next change I bought a cooler system for a Sportster which, unlike the kit for the TC88, filters the oil before cooling it. It's a sandwich plate. I also bought a second TC cooler, just the radiator. As the sandwich plate extends the filter toward the frame to the point it cannot be removed, I also bought a new factory filter mount. Cut the filter portion off in the bandsaw and machined the block side to make parallel and groove for "O" rings making a 3/8" spacer. Replaced the mounting bolts with longer studs moving the filter forward enough to clear the frame then mounted both coolers in series. Searched the WIX catalogue for a cheaper, larger filter with the same relief pressure and crossed that to a Purolator. Added a pint or so and much cheaper filter. Took it for a ride and now I had oil temperatures on a 100F day of 190F at 70 mph dropping it 60F!

Third change I swapped the RLHP 20W50 for RLHP 10W40. Made blinds for the coolers and maintained an oil temperature of 185-200F for the next 45K miles. Yea, 10K past the service interval at which point the dealer is going nuts and telling me horror stories of guys have complete motors replaced due to the chains eating the shoe steel backing the sending that crap through the roller assemblies. He was sure the 10W40 non-motorcycle oil would be a killer. So, after a while I caved in and had them open the cam chest for service. As I did not want my pushrods cut and adjustable installed (Harley procedure) I had them remove the rocker boxes as well.

My instructions were to measure EVERYTHING and replace ANYTHING not inside NEW spec plus install the new HD high volume pump and new hydraulic tensioner system that came out a few years later. My Shovelheads would be due for overhaul by this mark.

Next day I get a frantic call from the service manager. "You need to come see this or you won't believe me." Cold sweat I hurry down to the shop. The entire shop is gathered around my bike. I squeeze through the human barrier to find my mechanic sitting on his stool having a cuppa with a big grin on his face.

Not a single part of that motor was out of spec. Not even a track in the cam lobes from the lifter. Not a hint of deposits. The shoes? About 10% used up! They would go 100K miles twice over. I had the new system installed anyway and buttoned up. The increased oil flow volume now has me running one cooler blind on everything but the hottest days in the desert. She runs ambient plus 90 degrees and whisper quiet.

Known problem. I fixed the problem. Ignored the warranty implications. I got rewarded for fixing the problem. Not with just havening no warranty issues but by adding multiples to the engine's life. Still own that bike.

AW and EP additives do NOT work on polymers and resins. Straight up viscosity result.

10W40 at 190F is many times more vicious than 20W50 at 250F plus.

Viscosity is a function of the oil's environment, not it's specification.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-24-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-10-2024 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Embedded video

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Some related/relevant Wikipedia articles:
    Exhaust gas recirculation
    Crankcase ventilation system

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (03-10-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Some related/relevant Wikipedia articles:
    Exhaust gas recirculation
    Crankcase ventilation system
    I took particular note of his comments on ring aging and sealing. Most interesting if one dwells how that impacts various parts of the motor and its support systems. The oil perhaps and it's condition over the ring packs effective life. PCV operation as another. Just thinking out loud and on point.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just information I ran across a few days ago I found interesting. Maybe some others will.

https://www.powermag.com/gas-engine-...l-consumption/

If it helps it was written by folks from Petro Canada Lubricants

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's a lot of words... give us the "Consumption for Dummies" version
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    I presented the information as I did for cause.

But I'd rather not hear for a week how _____________ (you fill in the blank) I am or the information is not_____________.

If you read it and have questions, PM me.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    I think inspite of many words, it is rather concise. Lots of words, yes, but maybe simply too much beef for dummies.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (03-13-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I think inspite of many words, it is rather concise. Lots of words, yes, but maybe simply too much beef for dummies.
    I don't see the need to belittle anyone on the forum, and I am not accusing you or anyone of doing that.

Gumpy Bear knows oil. Basic knows tires. Fummins knows the Mirage inside & out. It's all good stuff!

I'm curious & nothing more. What was your take away from the article?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Gumpy Bear knows oil. Basic knows tires. Fummins knows the Mirage inside & out.
    Foama knows many things too, but humor is not one of them because he is German. I know because I worked for Continental for many years. ;p (And Foama shouldn't take this poorly, because he knows the Deutsche are all facts and no fun, but if not, this post and the last were both for funs and not serious)

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)