Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Oil consumption ?

Just start out in 2nd. Problem solved!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I did my manual transmission fluid change with Redline MTL because Mark said so. And if Mark says so, I'll do it (except for damn Korean tires ). I spilled one drop of it on the garage floor, and later accidently stepped on it and fell and broke my ass. So, it's slippery level is 100%. I could tell, during moment in time my foot was slipping and while I was flying through the air like Charlie brown trying to kick the football, and before my ass contacted the garage floor, that the synchros were going to be extra freed up with this stuff.

In the end though, I tell no difference between the Redline MTL and the original stuff that was in there. The change from 1st to 2nd gear was and still is just a tidge bit notchy, especially when cold. However, since I'm not trying to shave time off at the drag strip or Road Atlanta, it has never been a concern.
    Just for clarification - I'm not an expert when it comes to 75W-80 GL-4 gear oil. I bought a gallon jug of Redline MTL at the time, because it was easy to obtain through Walmart & Amazon. The only other option I remember back then was Ravenol MTF-2 GL4 75W80, which was more expensive than the Redline at time. Other forum members were singing praises about the Redline, & I have no reason to believe it's not a good product.

Redline carries three levels of Shockproof gear oil (heavy, lightweight, & superlight). I don't know a thing about racing oils.

This discussion is sort of in the wrong thread, but that's nothing new here!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Just for clarification - I'm not an expert when it comes to 75W-80 GL-4 gear oil. I bought a gallon jug of Redline MTL at the time, because it was easy to obtain through Walmart & Amazon. The only other option I remember back then was Ravenol MTF-2 GL4 75W80, which was more expensive than the Redline at time. Other forum members were singing praises about the Redline, & I have no reason to believe it's not a good product.

Redline carries three levels of Shockproof gear oil (heavy, lightweight, & superlight). I don't know a thing about racing oils.

This discussion is sort of in the wrong thread, but that's nothing new here!
    I do have a thread on the shockproof haha.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...graphene/page3

Ideally I think for this car you want the "superlight".

My mechanic can only order "lightweight" and "heavyweight" so I went with the "lightweight".

I think heavyweight is too thick.

Redline.com says:

Superlight
    Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W90, yet low fluid friction like ATF

Lightweight
    Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W140, yet low fluid friction like 80W gear oil or 30W motor oil

Heavy
    Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sunbeam For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (03-18-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    I do have a thread on the shockproof haha.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...graphene/page3

Ideally I think for this car you want the "superlight".

My mechanic can only order "lightweight" and "heavyweight" so I went with the "lightweight".

I think heavyweight is too thick.

Redline.com says:

Superlight
    Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W90, yet low fluid friction like ATF

I obviously forgot about that thread. Personally, I wouldn't use racing oil in my Mirage gearbox, but that's me.

Lightweight
    Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W140, yet low fluid friction like 80W gear oil or 30W motor oil

Heavy
    Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90.
    I apparently forgot about that thread. Personally, I wouldn't use racing gear oil in my Mirage, but that's me. It's not about the extra cost either.

I'm 61 years old, & all of my vehicles have been manuals. My 2017 Mirage has received more gear oil TLC (tender loving care) than any of my other vehicles, and I have never experienced a manual transmission issue in the past.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Just start out in 2nd. Problem solved!

Everything is awesome

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-18-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If the fluid fixed an issue you don't have, I guess it worked! ROTFLMAO

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    If a driver rushes the gear lever to change gears like formula one style instead of simply letting the gears plop in without forcing them, the brass synchro rings will wear out much quicker. Usually it begins with first gear not going in as smoothly as with a new car. Synchro rings are actually like little brakes that will force a shaft to rev at required speed to get chosen gears to mesh and hence change gear. Force the lever like some juveniles and you will wear them out real quick. That doesn't have to be. Not a sign of synchro ring wear on my 10 year old car.

Btw, mine has 75W80 GL4 fully synthetic (real synthetic!) gearbox oil from a local maker (ROWE) that makes a good portion of his business in the professional racing market.
    The practically same gearbox is also in a few Toyota Aygo C1/107 and then it comes with 75W85 GL4 gearbox oil.

Last edited by foama; 03-19-2024 at 10:06 AM.