Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil consumption ?

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Whatever crap I choose to pour into mine is good for 7,500 miles!
    Someone doesn't care about their tbn.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (02-22-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I've never been able to tan. I just burn, turn red, peal and go back to a pastey white.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Oh, wait. TBN! Sorry, not tan. I was wondering, under what circumstances ... was that relevant. Anywho -

I care about TBN this much!

Name:  Maintenance Schedule.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  106.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Oh, wait. TBN! Sorry, not tan. I was wondering, under what circumstances ... was that relevant. Anywho -

I care about TBN this much!

Name:  Maintenance Schedule.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  106.9 KB
    Everyone knows schedule 2 says 7,500 miles, & schedule 1 indicates 3,750 miles.

I have no doubt that 7,500 mile OCI (regardless of what oil is used) will get everyone past the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty.

I just watched something recently (not saying everything I watch is correct) where the following suggestions were made.

If you buy a new vehicle every 1-4 years, doing the manufacturer's recommended OCI is perfectly fine.

If you like keeping your vehicles for approximately 10 years, 4,000-5,000 mile OCI were suggested.

If you like keeping your vehicles for 15-20+ years, 3,000-4,000 mile OCI were suggested.

Obviously, driving style may tweak how you do all this.

Given my style of driving, I adopt the 4,000-5,000 mile OCI. I'd rather use a basic full synthetic oil changed more frequently than something like Amsoil for a long OCI, but that's me. Bottom line - all motor/engine oil gets dirty eventually.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-22-2024)

Country
    France
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If you like keeping your vehicles for 15-20+ years, 3,000-4,000 mile OCI were suggested.
    Small mileages OCI with the best quality oil will not prevent a lot of other things going wrong until there. 7500 miles is largely sufficient for our poor Mirage, modern cars in EU have 30.000 kms OCI. I do not think it is necesseraly good to wait 30.000 kms but that is what is foreseen by the manufacturers.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    How do you post a picture on this forum?

If using the desktop version or confuser:
    -on the top of the reply box click the picture frame icon(3rd from the right) then a new window('insert image') should pop up. I have to scroll up to find it when using an iphone.

-Then if the pic is on your phone or confuser click the 'from computer' box.
    -And den find pic to upload, then click the upload button. Can only upload one at a time, at least that's all I figured out how to do.

*if using a link from the interwebs click the url box(instead of from computer) and insert link(copy and paste into the box) the uncheck the retrieve remote file box.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (02-23-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    How do you post a picture on this forum?
    Using the picture icon in the reply dialog box is the simplest way to insert a picture - it handles the BBCode formatting for you.

From the vBulletin help files for BBCode: Inline Media (Photos and Videos)

I have a link to this and more vBulletin Help Topics in my signature line. Browse around for more info there.
    Last edited by Eggman; 02-22-2024 at 10:22 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (02-23-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagato View Post
    Small mileages OCI with the best quality oil will not prevent a lot of other things going wrong until there. 7500 miles is largely sufficient for our poor Mirage, modern cars in EU have 30.000 kms OCI. I do not think it is necesseraly good to wait 30.000 kms but that is what is foreseen by the manufacturers.
    My point was manufacturers are interested in getting you past the warranty period. I would like to keep my Mirage 2 to 3 times beyond that period/mileage.

I'm not leaving 3 quarts of oil in my Mirage beyond 5,000 miles. I could care less what the manufacturer says. In another 15,000 miles, I'm on my own, because I will be past my 100, 000 mile power train warranty.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

sunbeam (02-23-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    2023 Canadian Manual says 6,000km (3750miles) severe, 8,000km (5,000miles) regular.
    The entire country of Canada is in severe condition except perhaps Victoria BC.

I see a wide range of mirage oil change intervals depending on the country manual which others have noted.
    Me, I am sticking to 5,000km intervals with high quality oils (redline, liqui moly) with the wix xp synthetic filter.

Have towed a trailer and used lower quality oils with a shorter interval as noted in garage history.

To paraphrase what a mechanic told me:

It is easier to fill in the oil hole than it is to replace/repaire an engine.
    It is easier to fill the gas tank than it is to replace/repaire an engine.
    It is easier to change the coolant than it is to replace a heater core.
    It is easier to change the gear oil than it is to replace or repaire a transmission.

So the idea being that whatever marginal savings recouped by extended oil change intervals is paid for in more expensive eventual repairs but also, more complicated / time consuming interactions.

Mirage oil change / coolant change is so easy all you need is a wrench and some sort of receptacle I dont even use jacks or ramps for mine just have it right on the ground.

Going to try to change the gear oil next time on the ground too will see if that is possible.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sunbeam For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (02-23-2024)