Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2021 mirage alignment specs

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Considering rear is unadjustable, the thinking is to match the front to the rear. -1.2 degrees of camber won't do anything. What was killing me is the toe is off, causing a lot more issues then the camber. Again, I had even more degrees of camber when I was lowered and no noticable tire wear on 175-185 wide tires.
    I admit I'm new to these cars and don't know all the specifications. So I'm going to have to ask a question from ignorance. This 2015 ES is a torsion beam rear axle, correct? Or no.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    I admit I'm new to these cars and don't know all the specifications. So I'm going to have to ask a question from ignorance. This 2015 ES is a torsion beam rear axle, correct? Or no.
    Yes it formally is a torsion beam axle, but the rear "torsion beam" is very flimsy or rather floppy at best. It serves keeping both rear attached suspension arms, those parallel to driving direction that the springs rest on, in proper position. The torsion beam section of the rear axle assy thus has practically nill sideways stabilizing effect. Hence the famous body roll.
    I can manage with that without any problems, but if some novice repeatedly throws the car back and forth from one side to the next, that person may be in for an unexpected surprise Probably not dangerous, but alarming at least.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Yes it formally is a torsion beam axle, but the rear "torsion beam" is very flimsy or rather floppy at best. It serves keeping both rear attached suspension arms, those parallel to driving direction that the springs rest on, in proper position. The torsion beam section of the rear axle assy thus has practically nill sideways stabilizing effect. Hence the famous body roll.
    I can manage with that without any problems, but if some novice repeatedly throws the car back and forth from one side to the next, that person may be in for an unexpected surprise Probably not dangerous, but alarming at least.

Then can someone explain to me how this axle setup gives negative camber on one wheel, positive the other and positive toe? These setups normally produce zero camber and toe at rest. Like a dead axle.

If this thing is that poorly put together, why would I buy one?
    Last edited by Grumpy Bear; 01-26-2024 at 01:51 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...nt-Problem-FAQ

Never mind. Lord. Just like GM. I know I have a problem and I will not fix it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,475 Posts
    For what it's worth...newer Mirages (2017+) have a much better track record on rear axle alignment issues. I can't even remember the last time anyone with a newer Mirage complained about a rear axle alignment problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    For what it's worth...newer Mirages (2017+) have a much better track record on rear axle alignment issues. I can't even remember the last time anyone with a newer Mirage complained about a rear axle alignment problem.
    Good to know. They will still have to put it on the rack before I buy.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

Dookaughs (01-26-2024),Top_Fuel (01-26-2024)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    The rear axle was just within specs when I bought it. Camber on one rear wheel was about 30 minutes different than the other.

I must lead a frugal life, but have a good assortment of tools, and am able to do a precise front alignment myself. See threads about do it yourself camber and toe in this forum. The front is lined up to zero camber and zero toe, and that is good for saving fuel. Fuel is almost the equivalent of US$ 10/gallon here. Tyres are rotated at least twice yearly because of summer/winter wheels, and they wear very evenly. Even if one gets worn a bit more inside than the others, rotation saves them from becoming one sided worn.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (01-26-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The rear axle was just within specs when I bought it. Camber on one rear wheel was about 30 minutes different than the other.

I must lead a frugal life, but have a good assortment of tools, and am able to do a precise front alignment myself. See threads about do it yourself camber and toe in this forum. The front is lined up to zero camber and zero toe, and that is good for saving fuel. Fuel is almost the equivalent of US$ 10/gallon here. Tyres are rotated at least twice yearly because of summer/winter wheels, and they wear very evenly. Even if one gets worn a bit more inside than the others, rotation saves them from becoming one sided worn.

Alignment is a large factor in fuel efficiency. The difference between the factory alignment which was "in spec" and all over the place and the alignment my tech put on it which was "On spec" was 5 mpg to my 1/2 ton pickup. The difference in ride and handling was remarkable. Did this right after I bought it. First set of Bridgestone tires went 125,000 to 5/32" and dated out. Currently at 178,000 miles on second set with over half the tread left. No replacement part in the front end required.

Good ON SPEC alignment and good shocks. Keeps the screws tight in the dash

For what it's worth, I've never replaced a trailing axle in the 40 some Mirages here in the last 9 years. Rotate the tires once in a blue moon and they wear fine. Trailing axles might be tweaked a bit but I haven't noticed any terrible tire wear or tracking caused by it. There are a lot of folks that see it slightly out of spec and freak out. I've never had my own 2014 checked out, and neither did the previous owner(afaik). The tires I had on it for the last 3years looked to be wearing just fine despite the neglect and abuse it's gone through. It's a cheap car, not a space shuttle. Tire wear caused by a bent trailing axle isn't a common issue. Unless you Tokyo-drift into curbs fairly often, you'll probably be fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-27-2024),Marklovski (01-27-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's a cheap car, not a space shuttle.
    I own a cheap house, not the Taj Mahal. Does that mean it can't have straight walls and a tight roof?

Excellence has nothing to do with cost. It has to do with execution. Even a cheap car can be well made.

I'm rapidly being talked out of buying one of these.