Thread: U.S. and Canada-specific Mirage rear bumper (different from other markets)

U.S. and Canada-specific Mirage rear bumper (different from other markets)

At the Montreal debut of the car in January, the overall length specs of the car were revealed to be different from specs provided in previous markets to date:

General Specifications mm in.
    Overall Length (Initial markets) 3710 146.1
    Overall Length (Canada/U.S.)
    3780 148.8

So it's 70 mm longer, or 2.7 inches.

When I saw that, I assumed it must be a bumper-related change. When Alpha_One posted a pic of his Philippines rear bumper (after getting bumped by another driver in traffic), the difference stood out from pics of the Canadian and U.S. spec car.

For your viewing pleasure, from the Canadian PR photo:

Here's the rear bumper everywhere else:

And with outlines for easier comparison, the Canadian bumper again:

• The first obvious difference is the legislated side-facing red reflector. Usually this is incorporated into the tail light assembly of most cars.
    • The other thing you see is the extra length in this bumper, evident in the extra depth of the "shelf" at the lower edge of the hatchback door.
    • There are also added "character lines" on either side of & below the license plate area.

Why we get this different & longer rear bumper I'm not 100% sure.

It may be due to different bumper strength regulations, or to address the "parking lot damage" tests that cars are subjected to by the US Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, which conducts & publicises its own research & results . (http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/bumpers.aspx )

Doing well on that U.S.-only test would clearly require a deeper (& stronger) rear bumper than appears on the car in other markets.

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Interesting. The changes seems so subtle it almost seems kind of silly to have two different versions. I'm sure there is more to it than we know though. I am no automotive engineer.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

I also just noticed there's no key/lock on the Canadian hatchback, but there is on the other car.

Must be remote unlocking only. Or else just a pre-production car, not quite finished?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks
    I like this rear bumper,
    Not have in Thailand

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    In the netherlands we have the "trekhaak" (pulling hook) to replace the bumper. When you hit the hook from behind you can be sure that your car radiator will blow up but the car with the hook will have mostly scratches only. When you park your car and you hit other car with the hook your car will have no damage at all

Me myself simply installs parking sensor

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I also just noticed there's no key/lock on the Canadian hatchback, but there is on the other car.

Must be remote unlocking only. Or else just a pre-production car, not quite finished?
    Isn't this just the difference between a standard car (with or without remote control) and the one with keyless entry? The keyless entry system has the pushbutton on the hatch and driver door to unlock the complete car. The others use the key or the remote control to unlock, so they don't need the pushbutton,,,

The "Big Bumper" could indeed be the US issue I know they started this in the seventies, when all Mercedeses, Volvo's etc had to get these awfull extended bumpers BTW: Only Porsche fixed this nicely at that time on their G-model with the harmonica bumpers...

greeting
    Paul
    Last edited by zefke; 12-08-2013 at 06:05 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Spacestar Invite 1.0 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey its my car!

But yeah, I got the ES model which comes with SMART key so the white one has the push button for unlocking all doors including the hatch. I can't remember if the DE models have a standard key hole or nothing at all on the hatch.

But as for the rear bumper, I remember hearing that the i-Miev had to have its rear bumper extended too for the US market. I do remember hearing the reviewer saying it had to do with our crash test regulations. IIHS must be very demanding I guess but I see it as a good thing. If I have to sacrifice a bit of weight for added safety, then that doesnt really bother me much.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The DE does not have a keyhole in the hatch. All doors have to be unlocked to open the hatch.

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The bumper extension is indeed a safety regulations modification. The rear crash beam is extended is a inward-collapsing unit as per regulations to absorb more impact in the event of a rear-end collision. This requires extended bumper skins and other reinforcements throughout the chassis, attributing to some of the +35kg weight increase over other markets (865kg vs 890kg).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rival Autosport For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (08-13-2015)

sedan bumper differences

Mitsu Canada just sent out this teaser that shows the North American sedan will also have a different rear bumper & tail light treatment:

Name:  mirage-g4-sneak-peek.jpg
Views: 1856
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  mirage-g4-rear-2bumper.jpg
Views: 2269
Size:  83.0 KB

Differences:

- new tail lights
    - N.A. bumper has a sharp vertical corner (likely aids drag reduction)
    - more pronounced lower "lip"
    - rear reflectors in tail lights only, not on lower bumper
    - all combined, the changes give a more angular design to the rear than the 2014 ASEAN market sedan

The N.A. sedan will also be a little bit longer and heavier as well. The N.A. hatch rear bumper added 70 mm / 2.7 inches.