Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Time to sell?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After long reflection, I realize I need more love in my life...not less, and I love my Mirage.

My father bought the cheapest cars available, usually with manual transmissions and in my 34 years of driving I have driven around 17 vehicles as my primary transportation. I have attached some pics. Even though I have a family now, I like to keep a small econobox as much for nostalgia as for financial reasons.Name:  ford-fiesta-mk1-8.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  90.1 KBName:  8b08aae727f45f0063d461e858880470.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  56.0 KB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to roscoe1972 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Most of the cars were during a period after college when I would buy "disposable cars" for under $1000 and drive them for a year or so. Sadly, I totaled that nice Saab during college (images are stock).
    Last edited by roscoe1972; 02-18-2022 at 02:53 PM. Reason: site image

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 1,043 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Buy a smaller SUV (Sportage)...
    Don't make me vomit. Why by a Hyundai-Kia when Toyota exists? Rav4 over Sportage FTW.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Speaking of vomit Attachment 22917

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (02-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Toyota likely regrets their dealings with GM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (02-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Toyota likely regrets their dealings with GM.
    Don't t we all?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've got my dad's GMC Sierra 1500 2WD SCSB 4.8L V8. It's a 2003, with 93k miles. I also have my 2000 Dodge Ram 2500HD 4X4 QCLB with Cummins that has 195k miles on it.

I don't know why Dodge gets such a bad rap. Maybe it's with their gas engines, I dunno. But, the Sierra is more problematic than is the Dodge. The Sierra also has more little problems than does the Dodge. Like trim cover pulling loose under the door trim armrest, headrest trim coming loose, friggin headliner material coming off at all edges, center armrest noisy when an arm laying on it, rattles inside the door when hitting bumps. Lots of that stuff. The Dodge has very little of that kind of stuff going on. Just don't get why I catch so much slack on my Dodge. If I had bought the GMC, I would have regrets.

But now I may play with it a bit. I'm considering lowering the rear to make it level with the front. Opening the exhaust and "slapping" in a big cam. Big cam just for sound. The LS engines are easy to play with. I just sort of want to make a "sport" truck out of it. Not a big money for real sport truck. Just the look and sound, on a budget (because all that crap is 100% a waste).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    I've got my dad's GMC Sierra 1500 2WD SCSB 4.8L V8. It's a 2003, with 93k miles. I also have my 2000 Dodge Ram 2500HD 4X4 QCLB with Cummins that has 195k miles on it.

I don't know why Dodge gets such a bad rap. Maybe it's with their gas engines, I dunno. But, the Sierra is more problematic than is the Dodge. The Sierra also has more little problems than does the Dodge. Like trim cover pulling loose under the door trim armrest, headrest trim coming loose, friggin headliner material coming off at all edges, center armrest noisy when an arm laying on it, rattles inside the door when hitting bumps. Lots of that stuff. The Dodge has very little of that kind of stuff going on. Just don't get why I catch so much slack on my Dodge. If I had bought the GMC, I would have regrets.

But now I may play with it a bit. I'm considering lowering the rear to make it level with the front. Opening the exhaust and "slapping" in a big cam. Big cam just for sound. The LS engines are easy to play with. I just sort of want to make a "sport" truck out of it. Not a big money for real sport truck. Just the look and sound, on a budget (because all that crap is 100% a waste).
    I think Ram trucks had transmission issues not that long ago, but I believe they addressed that. Someone shared with me that their Ram truck was on it's 3rd transmission @ 55,000 mile. Their biggest work load for the truck was hauling a cattle trailer to the livestock yard a few times a year.

I do think Ram addressed this issue by going to Aisin transmissions more recently. Don't quote me on any of this, but I do think Chrysler addressed this issue. Aisin has a much better reputation, & I believe they have connections with Toyota.

"Aisin: The Aisin 6-speed automatic is one of the transmissions available with Ram's 6.7L Cummins turbo-diesel engine. This engine produces up to 400 hp and 1,000 lb-ft of clean-diesel torque. With the Aisin transmission, it can tow 31,000 pounds."

I just saw an article recently that listed the newer RAM trucks as being the most reliable (even topping the Tundra). I can't find the particular article, but this one reflects the same basic points.

https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2021/11/...undra-tumbles/

GM's quality has really gone down in the past 20+ years. My Dad & brother buy all GM products. I drive my parents around quite a bit in their vehicles. My money would go elsewhere. The older vintage Chevy trucks were tough & dependable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think Ram trucks had transmission issues not that long ago, but I believe they addressed that. Someone shared with me that their Ram truck was on it's 3rd transmission @ 55,000 mile. Their biggest work load for the truck was hauling a cattle trailer to the livestock yard a few times a year.

I do think Ram addressed this issue by going to Aisin transmissions more recently. Don't quote me on any of this, but I do think Chrysler addressed this issue. Aisin has a much better reputation, & I believe they have connections with Toyota.

"Aisin: The Aisin 6-speed automatic is one of the transmissions available with Ram's 6.7L Cummins turbo-diesel engine. This engine produces up to 400 hp and 1,000 lb-ft of clean-diesel torque. With the Aisin transmission, it can tow 31,000 pounds."

I just saw an article recently that listed the newer RAM trucks as being the most reliable (even topping the Tundra). I can't find the particular article, but this one reflects the same basic points.

https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2021/11/...undra-tumbles/

GM's quality has really gone down in the past 20+ years. My Dad & brother buy all GM products. I drive my parents around quite a bit in their vehicles. My money would go elsewhere. The older vintage Chevy trucks were tough & dependable.
    I had a truck like 7 miles. I miss it until I remember all the headaches I had with it. My current one is even worse but it's quieter and not a stupid automatic. I don't think I ever want another automatic truck unless I never tow with it.

My old work had the chev truck 7 mile descibed, 00 sierra 1500 2wd with a 4.8. It had oil changes ever 3000 miles and had around 600,000km when I left there. When I started my current job I found out that wasn't high, there were some chevy vans with over 700k with the same 4.8. There's one here now with almost 900k on it. I'd take a 20 year old chev gas truck over a dodge or ferd. For diesel, I guess I'd take a ford, throw the engine in the garbage and drop a cummins in it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Don't make me vomit. Why by a Hyundai-Kia when Toyota exists? Rav4 over Sportage FTW.
    Cant remember if it's you or Mark who thinks creature comforts make for lazy people. But to answer your question:
    1. Have you sat on last gen Sportage? It's more luxurious than the Rav4
    2. I can just imagine that the new Sportage is even better than last gen's

I think it will come down to price for me. Both vehicles will have the same/similar stuff, but the Kia can offer it for cheaper because of the name. Also, don't like the Rav4's barely opening rear doors.