Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage MID (Multi Information Display) service reminder / wrench icon

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Please with all the "its bad for the environment" bull.

I don't know what oil they use for the mirage, unless it's full synthetic, itl be changed at 3 or 5k miles.

On the non-synthetic oil my Rio used, the oil was pretty bad at 3k.

In all the motorcycles I've used, non-synthetic oils look like crap at 3k.

I'll check how bad the oil looks at 3k in the mirage and decide then. I know it's more money out of my pocket, but will they kill me.for paying them to do more work? They (the dealership) should feel better knowing that I'm giving them more business.

Other than spending more, is there a "down side" to changing oil and filter more than usual? I highly doubt.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Every 3k refreshing? what a ripoff .... guys, you own a japanese cars .... these engines are extremely strong, it runs well as long as there's still oil in it. Mine's 17k now, 3k more then refresh the oil/service. I strongly encourage you all to do the same. Use A grade oil, Amsoil 5W-20 or Shell oils, guaranteed to lubricate your engine for over 20k KM!
    I forgot to mention my previous vehicle was a somewhat built evo 8 and Id rather spend a little more on longevity than worry if the oil is coking up due to that long blast at 30psi. watching a turbo glow red is pretty cool but not soo good for the only cycling through it. And built engines dont always have as tight of tolerances so you lose oil via blowby and such. Coming from high mileage or built engines has me wary of high miles between changes. Just the tuner side of me. Id rathe be safe than sorry I guess. On the other hand dont you void your warranty if you cant prove youve been following manufacturers directions?
    As far as how many L or qts an engine needs does matter. less oil means faster breakdown so the galant you have which takes double the amount of oil should get twice the amount of oil life. On the other hand your 4 cylinder in the heavy galant probably has to work much harder to achieve the same results reducing oil life as well.
    Basically what Im saying is the manufacturers of the oils say 20k on an average size engine which is about 5 qts of oil. If you have, say, 2.5 then essentially that 20k should be cut in half.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    On the other hand dont you void your warranty if you cant prove youve been following manufacturers directions?
    I'll still change oil at 7k, if they want to. So I'll change at 3k and have them change the oil at 7k.

Both happy?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkt Ship View Post
    I forgot to mention my previous vehicle was a somewhat built evo 8 and Id rather spend a little more on longevity than worry if the oil is coking up due to that long blast at 30psi. watching a turbo glow red is pretty cool but not soo good for the only cycling through it. And built engines dont always have as tight of tolerances so you lose oil via blowby and such. Coming from high mileage or built engines has me wary of high miles between changes. Just the tuner side of me. Id rathe be safe than sorry I guess. On the other hand dont you void your warranty if you cant prove youve been following manufacturers directions?
    As far as how many L or qts an engine needs does matter. less oil means faster breakdown so the galant you have which takes double the amount of oil should get twice the amount of oil life. On the other hand your 4 cylinder in the heavy galant probably has to work much harder to achieve the same results reducing oil life as well.
    Basically what Im saying is the manufacturers of the oils say 20k on an average size engine which is about 5 qts of oil. If you have, say, 2.5 then essentially that 20k should be cut in half.
    Not true, Mirage's 3 cyl, that is why it needs less oil. You cannot double the amount of oil to put in your car. Makes the car works much harder.
    And it really said on Mitsubishi's service manual to refresh the oil in Galant and Mirage once every 20k

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Please with all the "its bad for the environment" bull.

I don't know what oil they use for the mirage, unless it's full synthetic, itl be changed at 3 or 5k miles.

On the non-synthetic oil my Rio used, the oil was pretty bad at 3k.

In all the motorcycles I've used, non-synthetic oils look like crap at 3k.

I'll check how bad the oil looks at 3k in the mirage and decide then. I know it's more money out of my pocket, but will they kill me.for paying them to do more work? They (the dealership) should feel better knowing that I'm giving them more business.

Other than spending more, is there a "down side" to changing oil and filter more than usual? I highly doubt.
    textbook example of ppl that closes their eyes to world's problem as long as it's still convenient. I hope you don't have children? Am not an activist but I also don't close my eyes and I try to lessen the problem any way possible. Which buying Mirage one of those reason instead of keep driving my Galant. It's just more environmental friendly car, less mineral fuel needed for the same amount of distance. Less destruction.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not true, Mirage's 3 cyl, that is why it needs less oil. You cannot double the amount of oil to put in your car. Makes the car works much harder.
    And it really said on Mitsubishi's service manual to refresh the oil in Galant and Mirage once every 20k
    What you say isn't entirely true with a different oil pan more oil could have been readily available. My 1.9l Volvo took 7 qts of oil. Its not because its a 3 cylinder its because they gave it a shorter oil consumption life. Which is why they told you 12k instead of 20k like in your galant more oil means more time between changes. As long as the crankshaft isn't immersed in the oil more oil doesn't mean it has to work harder. Hell I can buy an 8qt sump for my evo.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    What you say isn't entirely true with a different oil pan more oil could have been readily available. My 1.9l Volvo took 7 qts of oil. Its not because its a 3 cylinder its because they gave it a shorter oil consumption life. Which is why they told you 12k instead of 20k like in your galant more oil means more time between changes. As long as the crankshaft isn't immersed in the oil more oil doesn't mean it has to work harder. Hell I can buy an 8qt sump for my evo.
    Dealer service manual says 20k oil change for both Mirage and galant. How do u come to 12k?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dealer service manual says 20k oil change for both Mirage and galant. How do u come to 12k?
    I have 7500miles which equates to about 12000 km

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I have 7500miles which equates to about 12000 km
    Ah okay. I still don't get it why Mitsubishi says Europe to refresh every 20k and US every 12k

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ah okay. I still don't get it why Mitsubishi says Europe to refresh every 20k and US every 12k
    That is weird. Maybe 7500 is the severe scheduling