Thread: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage Named Most Affordable Vehicle by Cars.com

2015 Mitsubishi Mirage Named Most Affordable Vehicle by Cars.com

Name:  CARS.COM.MIRAGE.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  58.0 KB

Mirage keeps racking up the "affordability" awards...

Cars.com, the premier online resource for buying and selling new and used cars has named the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage the most affordable vehicle car shoppers can buy. Cars.com editors considered cars of all types and sizes. [...] In addition to the cost of each car plus destination fee, editors calculated five-year gas cost for each contender to help shoppers understand the true cost of each vehicle beyond sticker price.
    Name:  14523509420_0e06753a4c_b.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  67.3 KB

Read the full article: http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...r-in-2014.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

m4v3r1ck (07-22-2014)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    This is what the car is designed for. +$1000 rebate.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Car prices doesn't differ a lot in the US, unlike Europe especially in the Netherlands

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Subtract the need for auto transmission, bluetooth, and power windows and the Mirage is that much farther ahead!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Yup! But possibly also true for some of its competitors, so the gap on "entry level" cars might be similar.

---

Press release from Mitsu U.S.A. on this topic:

2015 Mitsubishi Mirage Named Most Affordable Vehicle by Cars.com

The Mitsubishi Mirage is more than $1,300 less than the second place finisher and is more than $1,800 cheaper to own over a five-year period.

Cypress, California, July 21, 2014

The highly fuel-efficient 2015 Mirage 5-door sub-compact by Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) has been named "the most affordable vehicle shoppers can buy" by Cars.com. The venerable online automotive resource took into account minimum feature requirements—Bluetooth® capability, USB port, power windows and door locks—as well as destination fees and anticipated five-year fuel costs to calculate the most affordable vehicle to buy and own.

The 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage DE, featuring the CVT transmission and Bluetooth® capability, was named Cars.com's most affordable vehicle coming in at $15,115 – a significant savings of more than $1,300 over the second-place vehicle. Taking in to account the cost of ownership, Cars.com also calculated anticipated fuel costs for five years. The Mitsubishi Mirage, with a combined fuel economy of 40 mpg, was again the most affordable vehicle option with anticipated fuel costs of $7,000 for five years—$500 less than the second-place vehicle.

"When we considered the most affordable cars, it was important that we looked only at models equipped with basic but important options like an automatic transmission and power windows and locks," said Joe Wiesenfelder, Cars.com's Executive Editor. "We wanted to help consumers who want an incredibly affordable car find one that also includes the niceties that almost every shopper has come to expect."

Featuring a 1.2 liter 3-cylinder DOHC engine, the Mitsubishi Mirage is available with either a 5-speed manual transmission or the advanced continuously-variable transmission (CVT). Standard safety features include seven air bags and the Mirage features one of the best protection plans in the entire industry: a 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain limited warranty, a fully transferrable 5-year/60,000-mile new vehicle limited warranty, a 7-year/100,000 mile anti-corrosion/perforation limited warranty and a 5-year/unlimited mileage roadside assistance program.

"Having a trusted consumer automotive resource like Cars.com name one of your vehicle offerings as the single most affordably-priced new vehicle model is high praise, indeed," said Don Swearingen, Executive Vice President of MMNA. "It is further testament to what our customers have been telling us all along: The Mitsubishi Mirage – with its low price, outstanding fuel economy, great warranty and welcome convenience features – is an all-around exceptional new-car value."
    Source: http://media.mitsubishicars.com/rele...7-8b98541ff18a

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Yup! But possibly also true for some of its competitors, so the gap on "entry level" cars might be similar.
    In some cases, for sure. The Scion and PriusC, though, are only offered with CVT. The Honda Fit LX with CVT gets good fuel efficiency (nearly Mirage, and it is bigger), however, that efficiency is only available in the LX CVT model - both the manual (6th gear, no benefit to top ratio) and other trims take more fuel (something about under-body aero panels specific to the LX - possibly a plan by Honda to claim "available 40+mpg and starting under $whateverbaseprice). Now the Yaris gets better mpg with a manual than an auto, so in a base/manual competition the Yaris would likely move up a bit. I'd still bet on the Mirage, though. In the real world, where manuals do better and autos do worse than their 5-cycle estimates, I would certainly bet on the Mirage.

I'd like to see a spreadsheet which would allow the user to also input distance driven and local gas price ($5/gallon here), and since I am wishing anyway - maybe also estimated 12 year repair costs!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if this is what you want, but there is real life fuel consumption data for all cars at www.fuelly.com.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MiMi For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (07-22-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiMi View Post
    I'm not sure if this is what you want, but there is real life fuel consumption data for all cars at www.fuelly.com.
    Thanks. I like Fuelly, and also fueleconomy.gov for the official comparison. One skewed thing about Fuelly, though, is the type of driver that is on there. Obviously the Mirage, VW TDI, and Prius C driver takes some pride in efficiency and "brags" about it. The typical Dodge Charger or Wrangle Rubicon driver might report it, but likely doesn't drive the same way. Still a good read, and it is interesting how some model year changes make a big difference.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Excellent news!

What are the main differences between the 2014 and 2015 Mirage models? I ask because I noticed the 2015 at the dealership for $1300 more base price with minimal exterior changes.
    ??

- Justin

Differences are very minor. (There's a thread around here somewhere.) EG. Mitsu hasn't addressed steering feel or body roll; instead they're messing around with things like radio antenna location and the like. Window dressing.

I bet that difference in price won't last. It'll be discounted once the 2014's are sold out, I expect.