Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 100mile First Oil Change Results

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What does oil analysis do other than add cost?

The engine is under warranty for a decade or 100,000 miles with infrequent oil changes on the maintenance schedule (7500 miles), so manufacturer protection is high and cost is relatively low.

If you decide to use something other than the recommended oil, due to an analysis of the oil, wouldn't you likely put your warranty in question by using other than the manufacturer's recommended lubricant? True you could switch brands of oil, but at what real benefit?

These are real questions, not just an attempt to dig at someone else's maintenance plan.

One of the benefits of the Mirage is low buy in and cost of ownership. With the Mirage having a 3 cylinder engine and a CVT (at least mine does) I count on the warranty protection as both these items are new to me. I plan on using the dealer for maintenance and sticking with what the schedule recommends to maintain the car.

Should something start to go wrong with the major components (engine & tranny) I don't want Mitsubishi looking for ways not to honor the warranty.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The main benefit I'm hoping for with my very frequent break-in oil changes is to maximize engine power and fuel usage by optimizing wear.

I don't see why the warranty would be affected, since I am using recommended viscosities and certifications.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How would using different oils and oil filters avoid the warranty ? A different viscosity , likely yes . I did my own oil changes for the YARIS every 4,000 > 5,000 miles or every 6 months using SHELL synthetic and Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 along with the Toyota oil filter . Had the engine repaired under warranty at 20,000 something miles without any questions or defiance . Just keep the receipts and log the oil changes in the service book supplied and you'll be fine . As for the U.O.A.s , wanted to make sure there wasn't any underlying issue from the head gasket replacement . Also enjoyed reading them to see how the oils were holding up . You can do and think what you please . If a used oil analysis would help ease their mind , then so be it .
    Last edited by cinder; 06-03-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As for different weights , you can get an approval by contacting the car manufacturer and have it emailed and print it out for your records . I did from TOY0TA for use of a 5w-20 and got a prompt o.k.. Started using 5w-20 during the colder months and got a U.O.A. showing good results . For each their own .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    About a thousand miles on my car ... the magnetic drain plug I bought is the AP-02 from Gold Plug
    Just wanted to make sure. Did you buy your drain plug by ordering from here? :

http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/

I'm just naturally cautious with websites that appear to be designed from the late 90's.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Just wanted to make sure. Did you buy your drain plug by ordering from here? :

http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/

I'm just naturally cautious with websites that appear to be designed from the late 90's.

-Charlie-
    No, I bought it off Amazon's website ... but yes, Gold Plug makes it, and apparently they're one of the better plug manufacturers out there, according to my research.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here are the the U.O.A.s . Traded car in at about 80,000 miles . Did a few reports to see how the SHELL synthetic 5w-20 held up for the cold months .
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/top-...motor-oil.html

I was just reading this from Edmunds and this is what they have to say on early changes....

5. When you buy a new car, change your oil at 3,000 miles to remove metal particles from the engine break-in process. There might be a grain of truth to this, according to the experts at Blackstone. Oil samples from engines during the first 3,000 miles of driving show elevated "wear-in" metal levels, coming from the pistons and camshafts, says Ryan Stark, Blackstone's president. But he added, "To me, it doesn't make that much difference because if the filings are big enough to cause damage, they will be taken out by the oil filter."

However, a Honda spokesman says its cars come from the factory with a special oil formulation for the break-in period. Honda advises owners to not change the oil early. Stark said Blackstone Laboratories' test of Honda's break-in oil shows it contains molybdenum-disulfide, an anti-wear additive. But Stark said Honda is the only manufacturer he knows that's using special break-in oil. The take-away? If there are any special break-in recommendations from the manufacturer, follow them. And consider analyzing the oil at 3,000 miles.

Now for myself, I think I'm going to change it at 1000km, but only because I have a trip to take that will be between 5 and 6000km and wont be able to get to changing my oil. After that 1000km oil change, I'll likely change again at 8000 on the car, and 8000km thereafter I had a friend in Ontario that was a break-in fanatic. Top of the line oil (racing oils?) and filters. I think he had changed it as soon as he got the car home (maybe 20km ), again at 100, 250, 500, 1000, 2500... Well by the time he had gotten to 8000km which was the recommended first oil change, he had already changed the oil 8 or 9 times and spent a good $500+ doing so. I got the Mirage to save money

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 52.3 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How were you driving it? To brake it in? Hopefully you were not raceing the engine like a hot rod.that's not good. Read the owners manual to see how to brake it.that way you don't void the warranty
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    No, I bought it off Amazon's website ... but yes, Gold Plug makes it, and apparently they're one of the better plug manufacturers out there, according to my research.
    Mmm, I read your posts and I'm amazed that you didn't Blow up your mirage driving it like that.In any owners manual it tells you to Never drive your car like that. Especially when its brand new.the Frist 5,000 miles is very important to drive it easy to get everything. Broke in easy.then after that it wont be as hard on the motor.so I would drive it easy and see how it goes.and hope you don't void the warranty. Because if you look in the book you will see what voids the warranty. I believe hard driving and abuse will void it.:

hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)