Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Mirage totaled / wiped out at 5600 miles

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

My Mirage totaled / wiped out at 5600 miles

Driving to work, a trash truck pulls off of the shoulder and hits my passenger front fender, door, wheel, etc etc. I'll keep you guys posted but I suspect it's going to be totaled. Passenger side rocker bent, two airbags (side curtain) and pillar into the dash to where glove box won't open.
    It happened so fast.....
    If she's totaled I'll get another Mirage. I'll sure miss this one, it was a sweet running car and did like 47-50 mpg.

Wow, that sucks. But glad you're OK!

Keep us posted on what happens.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, my ears are ringing and I feel beat up. Yeah, the truck was running down the shoulder at highway speed, then started to make his left turn, right into my side! I couldn't believe it that he was turning in front of me!
    Driver said he didn't see me.

Yikes. Did you make it off the roadway under control?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Can imagine that you are shocked lucky you got nothing

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage CVT 1.2 automatic: 39.5 mpg (US) ... 16.8 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 47.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, and no doubt, these cars are safe and tough. Picture a trash truck wheel hitting the passenger side, both vehicles at cruising speed. It spun me around like I couldn't believe. The car stopped facing the opposite direction and kind of in the oncoming lane and on the shoulder at the same time. It started and I managed to make it move over to the shoulder. The right front wheel is twisted up like I've never seen one bent before. It was amazing.
    Thankful to be ok, but really annoyed, my ears are ringing still. I was doing nothing wrong when the guy just made a left from the shoulder.

Bigger crash than I imagined when I read your first post. You're lucky.

Was he just merging onto the highway from the side, or was he trying to turn across your lane and go a different direction?

Did you snap pics?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Wow, glad to hear you're okay. Sounds like the Mirage did its job and kept you safe.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, that must have been terrifying. Hope things work out for you and definitely keep us posted, glad to hear that the little Mirage was able to keep you safe. Recover soon and be sure to let us know how things turn out!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 45.8 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks guys.
    Yes, he was apparently going to make a left turn from the right shoulder. I instinctively swung to the left, not enough time to brake, and thought I'd cleared him (happened fast), but he didn't see me and kept coming.