Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stability control?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Stability control?

"Active Stability Control (ASC) with Traction Control Logic (TCL) is also included on all models. The ASC/TCL helps stabilize the vehicle when it detects skidding and/or when the system detects a loss of traction on slippery road surfaces."
    -http://media.mitsubishicars.com/rele...0-6de4a310f312

I didn't realize these had stability control until I had an oops moment last week. Rainy drive home and a little too fast around a curve. The car more or less recovered on its own from the back end sliding out.

-Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RedDE5Spd For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-23-2014)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I wondered if it really did anything...Glad to know it works !
    There's lots of wet leaves on some of my favorite turns this time of year..

I experienced it this summer during the Montreal fuel economy rally -- a short portion of the route was on a twisty, up & down gravel road and we were moving along smartly.

I was actually trying to get the tail to come out a little through some of the bends to keep my speed up. And the stability control will allow you a very small amount of oversteer until it snatches it away from you by briefly applying the inside front brake.

After a few slaps on the wrist, I turned it off for the rest of that section.

But stats show it's a good thing to have for everyday driving when things get unexpectedly out of hand. It won't save you from a massive mistake, but it can keep a small mistake from becoming a massive mistake.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Glad to know that. I was wondering if it was actually useful.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Is there any difference between asc equipped and non asc equipped in the abs unit? Mine is not equipped and the abs unit is facing left side of the car.
    2013 Honda Vario CBS VB
    2014 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT EGM
    2015 Toyota Innova 2.5V AT SMM
    2013 Proton Preve CFE CVT PW
    2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport PX CVT PW
    2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Dakar AT TGM Limited

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage Exceed 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    But stats show it's a good thing to have for everyday driving when things get unexpectedly out of hand. It won't save you from a massive mistake, but it can keep a small mistake from becoming a massive mistake.
    I was going nearly 85 mph, much like a jack ass would have been on that stretch of the interstate. I like sliding around empty parking lots in the winter, but I don't like doing it in the rain while in traffic. No harm, no foul I suppose; but lesson learned!
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Satria- Do you have traction control, TCL? I would imagine the ABS is the same across the board.
    As far as I can tell from my car, the ABS is used by the traction control to stop the wheel from spinning and used by the stability control to straighten out. If I use my hand brake to slide in an icy parking lot without turning the system off, I can hear the ABS module operating the brakes; it noticeably reduces the ability to slide.
    I have to hold the button in about 5 seconds to turn the system off, other cars I've had turn off simply in the push of a button.
    -Billy

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    quick question about this system...we do get quite a bit of snow here in the winter and it can get deep quick. I was told by some people to turn this off so you can keep your momentum up while going through deep snow. Is that true this system will cause the tires to brake and slow you down enough so you eventually get stuck? My van did not have this and even when the snow was about a foot or so deep, as long as I did not slow down I could make it to the highway that was plowed.

fatcat - I think you're talking more about the traction control (which prevents wheelspin) vs. stability control (which tries to prevent/correct a skid).

You might want to check this thread:

Thread: 2014 Mirage driving in snow (how does it handle?)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I left mine on last winter, and we had an abundance of snow. It drove exceptionally well in the snow and on the icy roads for me, I attribute it to the skinny tires and stability/traction systems. The only times I turned it off I was sliding around an empty icy parking lot just playing with the car.

-Billy