Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gooey Substance in Oil Filler Cap

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Gooey Substance in Oil Filler Cap

During the first oil change I noticed this gooey substance inside the oil filler cap. Do you know what might it be?

Name:  Gooey Substance.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  98.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is the oil foaming for some reason.

I was going to ask if you run the recommended mitsu 0-20 synthetic oil or not but I realised you said FIRST oil change.

Does it get driven pretty hard?
    Coolant looks clean? (as in no oil mixed in it)

PCV hose all attached?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drive normally, but during weekdays my commutes are really short <3 miles and full of stops. Also, the winter is not doing any favors to my engine performance. I should probably switch to the intensive maintenance schedule.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It still shouldn't foam with those conditions but a more frequent oil change can't hurt. I try to do mine every 3-4K miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    The stuff is called "sludge" by car mechanics. It is an indication that the engine does not heat up enough. Although in itself sludge is harmless it is not good for the engine to work at too low temperatures due to too short commutes. So, the solution is to take the bike and only use the car for drives of 10 miles or more. This will enhance your lifespan and that of the car!

To get rid of the sludge take her for a long, long drive, preferably at some speed. Sludge will be gone.

Sounds like the Italian tune-up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Frequent oil change will not solve it. The sludge is not really a problem. Oil changes ever 3-4K miles are insane and a waste of money not to say of the environment, I am sorry to say. If you really, really want to take 0% chance with oil, changing it every 15.000 miles is more than adequate. To my mind even 20.000 miles should be no problem. In Europe Mitsubishi's oil change service interval for the Mirage (called Space Star here) is 20.000 km (15.000 miles).

To make it even more unbelievable in your eyes, a technical university here tested oils and found that oil change was only needed after 100.000 km. Only the oil filter needed changing more frequently, haha. So, yeah, changing filters without changing the oil is a bit difficult.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I found this interesting article on the topic. Basically, they say that it's caused by moisture buildup inside the engine. Now, the moisture may not be evaporating completely due to frequent too short drives or a blown head gasket in the worst case. My coolant and oil look fine, and I do take very short trips to work every morning when cold.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ok I did not know short trips in cold climate can do that! Makes sense now.

About the 15K mile oil changes and the technical university with their 100k km oil change,you can have that!

As long as I don't have to work on your engine when the caked on crud that clogged up the fine filters in say cam actuator solenoids or oil passages ended up in a broken timing chain or other catastophic failure.

Now you're saving the environment!
    Seen that a lot! Not on a mirage though....yet!

People around here do not check their oil between oil changes because the car never told them to do so!

Maybe in Europe it's different and people actually keep an eye on things better than here.

Sorry but I will just go ahead and buy 3 quarts of oil and a filter for 32 US dollars a few thousand miles early and change the oil when I think it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    I found this interesting article on the topic. Basically, they say that it's caused by moisture buildup inside the engine. Now, the moisture may not be evaporating completely due to frequent too short drives or a blown head gasket in the worst case. My coolant and oil look fine, and I do take very short trips to work every morning when cold.
    That sounds like the best explanation. Take it out for an Italian tune-up every week or two.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)