Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Seat Space

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Rear Seat Space

I'm currently "researching" the Mirage. The reason for this thread is in regards to rear seat space. My wife and I plan to have kids soon. So, that needs to factor into the decision making process. How many of you have children and car seats and can ride comfortably in front of the installed seat? It seems this can be a challenge for your average car seat in a Fiesta.

Thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know one thing the back of a Fiesta is a lot smaller than in the Mirage. When I was test driving them after setting the drivers seat for my self I got out and got in the back seat directly behind me and in the Fiesta I had to spread my legs so my knees would not be in the back of the drivers seat. I am only 5'10.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eeek... I'm the same height. Obviously, I could just go the dealership and check it out. Unfortunately, I cannot stand you get smothered from just looking at the same side of the street that the dealer is on. I prefer to wait until it's time to purchase and I'm doing some final selection test drives.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know the feeling with those high pressure salesmen! I for one was in love with the new Fit! Thought it was the greatest thing since "whatever your greatest thing is" I waited until the last day to go and test drive one. As soon as I sat in the seat I knew it was not for me. The seat bolsters were killing my right arm. It was just uncomfortable over all for me. Point is if your shopping for cars and your split between more than one. I would go drive one as soon as possible to get a feel for it and see if it works for you. Things don't always play out in real life as good as they do on paper. If nothing else go rent one of each for a day!

You might get you heart set on something only to find out at the last minute that you have to do your research all over again!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flotownj View Post
    I know the feeling with those high pressure salesmen! I for one was in love with the new Fit! Thought it was the greatest thing since "whatever your greatest thing is" I waited until the last day to go and test drive one. As soon as I sat in the seat I knew it was not for me. The seat bolsters were killing my right arm. It was just uncomfortable over all for me. Point is if your shopping for cars and your split between more than one. I would go drive one as soon as possible to get a feel for it and see if it works for you. Things don't always play out in real life as good as they do on paper. If nothing else go rent one of each for a day!

You might get you heart set on something only to find out at the last minute that you have to do your research all over again!
    Good point there. It'll probably come down to that pretty shortly. I'm assuming you were much more pleased with the rear seats in the Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll have to take a few pictures of my past setup with the 5-22lb car seat and my current 20-60lb car seat. The first car seat rear facing of course has a quick snap in base that you leave in the car, it was too wide to fit in the middle between driver/passenger seats so I put it in the passenger rear, it required the front seat to be about in the middle of adjustment for the seat, putting you a little close.. my xwife is 5'1 and had no complaints or issues, but I am sure anyone over 5'5 will feel cramped. If I had two children my seat would be in a uncomfortable condition but maybe there are other car seat options, I just went with a affordable one that was girly but not too girly (zebra). My current large car seat is designed to stay in the car and allows enough space for me to almost be comfortable in the front (I am almost 6'0) when sitting in the passenger front seat.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    I'll have to take a few pictures of my past setup with the 5-22lb car seat and my current 20-60lb car seat. The first car seat rear facing of course has a quick snap in base that you leave in the car, it was too wide to fit in the middle between driver/passenger seats so I put it in the passenger rear, it required the front seat to be about in the middle of adjustment for the seat, putting you a little close.. my xwife is 5'1 and had no complaints or issues, but I am sure anyone over 5'5 will feel cramped. If I had two children my seat would be in a uncomfortable condition but maybe there are other car seat options, I just went with a affordable one that was girly but not too girly (zebra). My current large car seat is designed to stay in the car and allows enough space for me to almost be comfortable in the front (I am almost 6'0) when sitting in the passenger front seat.
    Thanks for the input. Photos would be great! As a car is an (albeit poor) investment, it needs to be able to be useful for many years to come in order to be a wise purchase. I imagine that one could find smaller car seats at an increased cost that would provide less restriction up front. I know nothing about car seats, though!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I always forget to get some pictures... This shows you my new car seat and where the passenger seat is in relation to the b pillar, don't mind the mirage candy. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  82.6 KB
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have sat in every small car and the mirage has the most space. Im 6 foot and easily fit behind my seat in my drivers position

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTransporter View Post
    I have sat in every small car and the mirage has the most space. Im 6 foot and easily fit behind my seat in my drivers position
    I'm not quite that tall. So, that is good to know. Thanks! As of right now, it does seem that Mitsu did the "most with the least" in terms of space comparing interior and exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    I always forget to get some pictures... This shows you my new car seat and where the passenger seat is in relation to the b pillar, don't mind the mirage candy. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  82.6 KB
    It doesn't look terrible from that angle, but my frame of reference isn't exact, either. Nice UR gear - rear sway I presume? I would def. want to purchase some of their stuff if I get the Mirage.