Thread: Door Locks and Dog

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Door Locks and Dog

This question may seem incredibly stupid, and probably is, but bear with me for a second. I have an abused dog (was used as a bait dog and one of the few things that calms her down, besides her meds, is my giving her a drive in the car each day). The issue is simply this...is there a way when I have her out during the summer where I can keep the air conditioner running in the car with the doors locked when I need to step out for 2 or 3 minutes (the reasons should be obvious-besides the heat, some people are real SOBs). Either way, I love this car (have the ES)and I'm grateful for all the owners' reviews which gave honest pros and cons of the car unlike those fascists from Consumer Reports. The only real wish have about the car as an immediate item is that there is no hanger for dry cleaner laundry at the rear doors or the rear back area. If someone has any suggestions I'm willing to listen. Thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You have the smart key, right? Get out ( with engine running ) and try locking the doors with your remote.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.6 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You have to be careful about doing that, leaving the dog in your car. People are real Quick to turn you in! I know here in the Pacific Northwest they passed a law about leaving your dog in a hot car. But I guess if it's just a couple of minutes. If your car is the push botton start you could leave it running and lock the door and do your thing and come back. But that makes me nervous doing that because you hear of all these parents leaving there kid in the car and running into the store for a min and come to find out some idiot has run off with car and child. Plus if that happens and it gets damaged and your insurance finds out about it a lot of times they won't cover it
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have not found a way to lock the car while it is running...ES model...I would like to do this since I always have it running to defrost it in the winter

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    But that makes me nervous doing that because you hear of all these parents leaving there kid in the car and running into the store for a min and come to find out some idiot has run off with car and child.
    You must live in a terrible area. I've never heard of this actually happening in real life.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How about this?

Get your spare key.

When you need to leave your dog in the car, keep the key in the car, keep the engine and A/C on.

Unlock door manually, get out, lock door manually, shut door.

Go to the store, do the errand, whatever.

Come back, whip out the spare key, put it in the shiny metal circle to the right of the door handle to unlock (voila).

Hope this works out OK for you.

Someone please chime in if they see this would not work, I do not want to lock people out of their cars!

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Around here you hear of it on the news where a woman has her sleeping child in the back she stopped at the store just for a min. And someone else jumps in the car and takes off. It happens more then you realize. Or at a gas station.
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I have not found a way to lock the car while it is running...ES model...I would like to do this since I always have it running to defrost it in the winter
    The point was, that at least one of the posters missed because he/she was so intent on making a moral point, was that I intended to leave the dog in the car with the air conditioning ON...and it's right next to the doors of the 2 places I go so I can see the car the entire time if anyone even attempts to try the door. Like you, I have tried every conceivable method to lock the doors on my ES while the engine is running and nothing works. Unless I'm being completely stupid about this and am missing something obvious, it can't be done.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...as I mentioned to fatcat on his post, I have tried every conceivable method to lock the doors on my ES while the engine is running and nothing works. Unless I'm being completely stupid about this and am missing something obvious, it can't be done. And what I forgot to mention in my post to him is that my ES does NOT have a place for a key to manually lock the driver's side door...it has a button that you push to open the door...there is no place for a key.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    How about this?

Get your spare key.

When you need to leave your dog in the car, keep the key in the car, keep the engine and A/C on.

Unlock door manually, get out, lock door manually, shut door.

Go to the store, do the errand, whatever.

Come back, whip out the spare key, put it in the shiny metal circle to the right of the door handle to unlock (voila).

Hope this works out OK for you.

Someone please chime in if they see this would not work, I do not want to lock people out of their cars!

-Charlie-
    Sorry made a mistake with the post...just getting used to the site...

...as I mentioned to fatcat on his post, I have tried every conceivable method to lock the doors on my ES while the engine is running and nothing works. Unless I'm being completely stupid about this and am missing something obvious, it can't be done. And what I forgot to mention in my post to him is that my ES does NOT have a place for a key to manually lock the driver's side door...it has a button that you push to open the door...there is no place for a key.