Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just traded CVT for manual and now have a new (unanticipated) problem...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't lug my car up hills, its a learning process that takes time to learn which gear and rpm you should be at. I'm normally between 1k-3k in all driving situations. There is a 9% grade with 45mph speed limit for 2 miles on my drive to work, I hit it fast as it starts as soon as you turn onto the road up the mountain, getting to 4th gear/45mph asap, I hit the cruise control at 45mph/4th and it pulls the entire way up with the eco light on!

CVT is much easier to get great MPG IMO, manual transmission is "expert" level MPG, you can match a cvt with basic skills but to beat a cvt you must know how to eco drive and how to drive your mirage as well. When I babied my car new off the lot I was able to get 60mpg, I don't think I got over 2500rpm and was mostly 50mpg cruising/coasting. I drive how I want to now and get over 45mpg average each tank, I can modify my driving habit if I am really going for mpg but my Mirage is so much fun to drive around corners and I like going fast, I hope to do some aero mods to add to my mpg while keeping my spirited driving

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've seen clutches in sports car only make it 60,000 miles, I've seen Honda's make it 150,000 miles on a clutch. I am hopping for 100K miles out of my clutch, I don't expect much because I know I have a lot of mountains and city driving. Kinda looking forward to a clutch replacement haha, I know the transmission looks so cute and I want to hold the little bugger, I was able to remove and re install the transmission on my 1993 eclipse 1.8 a long time ago, didn't even have a clutch alignment tool I just used the transmission and slid it in before tightening the flex plate. I'm sure the F5MBD is super light! I might be able to afford and source a JDM/EDM longer 5th gear transmission by that time.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think my Aspire had its original clutch when I bought it at 155k until I traded it in at 236k (I think, never did record the final mileage), but it had the cable replaced just before I bought it. It did slip a couple times going full throttle up a hill with 4 adults in the car.

But yeah, manuals definitely are expert mode, but once you learn them and it becomes second nature, there's nothing better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post

CVT is much easier to get great MPG IMO, manual transmission is "expert" level MPG, you can match a cvt with basic skills but to beat a cvt you must know how to eco drive and how to drive your mirage as well.
    I think this is one of the more objective and "clear eyed" comments I've run across regarding the CVT vs 5MT debate. I feel that, in the first week driving it, I'm able to do "slightly" better with the manual (in terms of MPGs) but, that in itself isn't really significant. I think the thing that really tips things for me is the fact that I can get CVT mileage without any trouble while, at the same time, I have some actual performance on tap when I feel like it. Let's face it, the CVT is is a bit of lard ass and, while you get good MPGs, you're sort of stuck with that all the time. With the manual I feel like I'm actually driving instead of piloting a great big squishy balloon
    Last edited by nternal1; 05-25-2015 at 02:35 AM.

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    ... I'm sure the F5MBD is super light! I might be able to afford and source a JDM/EDM longer 5th gear transmission by that time.
    The 5th gear in my Metro was "overdrive" and I would never use it in the city (thought I probably could have). The 5th gear in the Mirage seems to have been designed for use at lower city speeds. I get into it as much as possible and do what some have suggested here... I short shift through 1st, 2nd and 3rd very quickly and then go straight to 5th on downhills, flats or even very slight grades.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That 1-2-3-5 pattern is exactly how I drive as well. I really wish it had a 6th gear or a taller final drive for the highway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I really need to get into thAt 1235 pattern.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTransporter View Post
    Not to mention when that cvt goes...and it will...ull have to spend a ton more money just to get replaced while a manual will only need a clutch kit.

There are savings everywhere...
    I don't totally agree with you on this. Clutches are not covered under the 100K mile warranty. Everything on the CVT is however. I know of many clutches that needed replaced between 60-80K ( usually vehicles that drive heavy city traffic areas ). How much a dealer charges for replacing a clutch, I have no idea. I know some people can handle the labor themselves, but that isn't something most can do ( or want to do ). I am also curious how much it will cost to replace the rubber band in the CVT, at the 100K mark. If the trans fluid is changed as needed on the CVT, the CVT should last many more miles over the 100K mark.

You also have to factor in how long the average person keeps their vehicle. Many people buy new by the time the vehicle hits the 100K mark. I know we usually do. Our Ford Festiva was sold at 128K, Dodge Neon at 118K ( both MT, but all highway driving ). Out Chevy Impala had 109K, Cadillac Deville 84K ( both auto's ). My experiences listed were vehicle we bought new and do not include the new trucks I just had to have every few years ( 03 Dakota, 05 Silverado, 09 Silverado, 11 Silverado... they never got huge mileage on them before trading them in ).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.6 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

manual transmission is "expert" level MPG..., you can match a cvt with basic skills but to beat a cvt you must know how to eco drive
    I think "expert" might be overstating it a bit. I have experience teaching ecodriving to regular drivers. With just 20 minutes of coaching, it's not unusual to see someone improve their city mileage by 10-20% without affecting their average speed (ie. they're not driving like turtles to get those gains).

Quote Originally Posted by nternal1 View Post
    The 5th gear in my Metro was "overdrive" and I would never use it in the city (thought I probably could have).
    Yup - definitely could have. The Metro actually revs higher in 5th gear than the Mirage.

(I went so far as to change the transmission in my Firefly/Metro to reduce engine RPM by 25% to save even more fuel... at the expense of acceleration.)

The 5th gear in the Mirage seems to have been designed for use at lower city speeds.
    It's not so much the gearing as the engine. The Mirage runs lower RPM in top gear for a given road speed by comparison, but its engine is much more usable at lower RPM than the Metro's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Jim, your wright on the clutches not being covered. All I know is around here to replace a clutch isn't that cheep that everyone has the money to have replaced. I had a 93 festiva that I needed the clutch replaced two places told me it was a 600.00 job or more. And that was two places that told me that. And those were the smaller shops. I hate to think what the ford dealer would of charged me.

hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)