Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mazda updates the competition - redesigned 2016 Mazda 2

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    Go for the Mirage,,,, you'll be better off.
    I agree the Mirage is the smart choice considering cost of ownership, features, value, economy, reliability etc. That said, the Mazda in my opinion is somewhat better looking, and will almost certainly have more "Zoom-Zoom" (which in this case means a rear stabilizer bar, for example). I think people looking for a fun little sub-compact might enjoy the Mazda, even if it does cost more now and down the road. Personally, I waited for the new Mazda for a while, then bought the Mirage. I am glad I did, as the Mazda doesn't deliver the fuel efficiency I hoped for.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Plus even thou it has that so called Zoom zoom that shorten the engine life. Because once you start doing that it becomes a way of life. I knew a guy who bought a brand new colt and because it had power he drove like a race car winding it up to the max everytime he started. He blew the engine at 30,000 miles. Which I realize is not a Mazda .
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Curacao
    Thanks
    I am a bit surprised the 2 won't come to the US. But Mazda America is pushing the CX-3 instead of the 2 in the US there is a big market for SUV,s. Mazda Canada is doing the same so it's most likely it won't come to the canadian carmarket

I like both Mazda and Mitsubishi as brands I used to own both of various cars of them very reliable and fun to drive.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I think scion is making a sedan that is exactly like the new mazda2, uses the same engine and from the bumper back looks identicle with a scion badge of course. Or so I heard at work.

no Mazda2 for Canada either

Well, life just got easier ... or failed to get more difficult ... for the Mirage:

Failure to Launch: Mazda Canada Decides to Pass on Mazda2, Will Focus on Crossovers

After officially giving the Mazda2 its North America reveal in Montreal, Quebec, Canada in January, Mazda Canada announced, nearly ten months later, it will not sell the subcompact hatchback in the country.

[...]

Canadians looking for some zoom-zoom in their subcompact will have to check out the Toyota Yaris Sedan...

The Yaris sedan (Canada only, not U.S.) will be a rebadged Mazda 2 sedan, also sold as a Scion iA sedan in the U.S.

Source: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...on-crossovers/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (11-17-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Well, life just got easier ... or failed to get more difficult ... for the Mirage:

The Yaris sedan (Canada only, not U.S.) will be a rebadged Mazda 2 sedan, also sold as a Scion iA sedan in the U.S.

Source: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...on-crossovers/
    Interesting, Mitsubishi could really bring it if the redesign is worth a hoot. Keeping my fingers crossed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    First off, I am still glad I got the Mirage instead of waiting for the Mazda, and I don't want a sedan - all that wasted space!

Secondly, I don't like "crossovers" because they don't really cross over much (typically with about the same ground clearance and approach/breakover/departure angles as the Mirage), they cost considerably more (at least $5000 it seems) and they are largely unnecessary for most of those who buy them. Put another way, if you need an SUV (heavy towing, lots of space, off road use), a crossover won't do. If you don't, a car will do just fine.

I am disappointed in Mazda, and wish they would make a Mazda2 wagon!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The Mazda2 did nothing that the Mazda3 doesn't do. They were about the same price, had about the same performance, got about the same mileage, came in the same configurations, and were made by the same company.

But the 3 is both bigger and roomier. Though it's surely a fine car, truth be told there is no REASON for Mazda to keep selling the 2 here. And it wasn't selling.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    Plus even thou it has that so called Zoom zoom that shorten the engine life. Because once you start doing that it becomes a way of life. I knew a guy who bought a brand new colt and because it had power he drove like a race car winding it up to the max everytime he started. He blew the engine at 30,000 miles. Which I realize is not a Mazda .
    Don't worry about engine life. We traded '96 Protege for Mirage and it had 433,740mi on odometer. Engine had never been rebuilt. Clutch was replaced ~300k, alternator off junkyard at 350k. None of the non-ford mazdas (Mazda6) we saw on junkyard had less than 200k.

Now rotaries need engine rebuilt every 90k or so, but this is entirely different animal. Other mfg who tried to build rotaries couldn't get them last more than 20k.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    First off, I am still glad I got the Mirage instead of waiting for the Mazda, and I don't want a sedan - all that wasted space!

Secondly, I don't like "crossovers" because they don't really cross over much (typically with about the same ground clearance and approach/breakover/departure angles as the Mirage), they cost considerably more (at least $5000 it seems) and they are largely unnecessary for most of those who buy them. Put another way, if you need an SUV (heavy towing, lots of space, off road use), a crossover won't do. If you don't, a car will do just fine.

I am disappointed in Mazda, and wish they would make a Mazda2 wagon!
    I sat in iA, and IMHO it is a big compromise. Comparing to Mirage front space felt cramped, and sitting in the back seat there was barely enough head space for 5'6" tall, maybe an inch or so. Less leg room. Trunk was huge, x3 of Mirage, but this is due to pushing rear seat forward to get at least some head space!

I love Mazdas, owned them for many years but would never buy sedan version of Mazda2.

Agree Xovers are dumb fad, too bad that everyone wants one. And since CX-3 costs them about as much to build as Mazda2, but they can charge extra $5k and people will line up for them, no surprise Mazda2 hatch got pulled out of production. As is Salamanca factory is running close to full capacity, so as long as supply tight we will not see M2 in US.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)