Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Forum - 2014 Mirage CVT purchased December 2014

2014 Mirage
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

New to Forum - 2014 Mirage CVT purchased December 2014

Hi All -

I found this forum while researching the flashing start/high whine/key fob alert problem that has now happened to me twice. Looking forward to checking out the fuse suggestion, and hoping that will fix everything

Other than that, I am loving my Mirage. I came from a 1998 5-speed manual Chevy Metro, which I ADORED - I was on my second one, and it had over 200,000 miles on it - running perfectly (had just replaced the clutch), and still getting 36mpg. Unfortunately it didn't pass smog, and I had been mentally preparing myself for the inevitable end, so I took the opportunity to have the state buy it for $1,000, and left it at the junk yard. Truly, one of the saddest days of my life. Goodbye, little tomato...

I have not quite developed the same fondness for my CVT yet, but needless to say it is a huge upgrade over my beloved Metro. I do miss the manual transmission, but as I continue to age I'm sure I will be more and more grateful. lol

Donali

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.5 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.2 mpg (Imp)

Welcome, Donali!

Yeah, that key fob/flashing issue was one of the first issues I saw where people in the States were looking for online information.

Quote Originally Posted by Donali View Post
    I came from a 1998 5-speed manual Chevy Metro, which I ADORED - I was on my second one
    Join the club! Lots of Metro orphans around here. I still drive one (1998 Firefly).

FYI, see: Did you own a 3 cylinder car before your Mirage? (Metro, Suzuki, Smart, etc.)

Condolences on your Metro, but the Mirage is a considerable upgrade, without even sacrificing fuel economy.

I have not quite developed the same fondness for my CVT yet
    How come you didn't stick with the manual?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2014 Mirage
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

How come you didn't stick with the manual?
    Mostly mpg research stated the CVT got slightly better gas mileage, and then the dealer only had CVT in stock, and I just bought that very night to replace the Metro.

Thanks for the direct to the 3cyl thread - yes, my Metro was a 3cyl 2-door hatch 5-speed (as was the 95 I owned prior), both red. I got the 98 when the 95 came off lease, because remaining payments were basically the same per month (with added years on the 98, of course), so I bought the 98. Will never lease again.

My CVT is grey - seems to be a little more grown-up color than my red Metro. lol Dealer didn't really have much to choose from, and definitely did not want the green.

My mpg so far is only slightly better than the Metro, so that's a little disappointing. I have gotten the display to read over 70(!!), but of course that was a brief blip in time. In reality I'm getting 36-39, which is a little disappointing. Still loving the snapshot high mpgs, though. lol I've got about 6,000 miles on her now.
    Donali

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.5 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site Donali.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Donali View Post
    Mostly mpg research stated the CVT got slightly better gas mileage
    Bummer. I take it this forum was not part of the research. Despite what the EPA ratings and car reviews say (most of which just parrot the ratings), the manual transmission has a little bit more MPG potential than the CVT in normal real world driving, and a LOT more potential in the hands of a motivated driver.

But the CVT is still very good (better than any non-hybrid in North America). I was prepared to dislike driving the CVT, but I liked it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool

Welcome!!!!! Loved your post!!! About your Metro,s and your little tomatoes lol lol I'm sure I would be the same way, I would probably cry to lose a car like that! Which I did I had a 93 ford festiva I sold it because there was to many things that needed repaired. But it still ran! In fact the guy I sold it to is still driving it. I'm sure you will really love your mirage! Is it called Big Tomatoe ?We call ours Bluejellybean welcome
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    But the CVT is still very good (better than any non-hybrid in North America). I was prepared to dislike driving the CVT, but I liked it.
    I was in the same situation, I was pretty steadfast in the manual transmission camp when I was doing research on the Mirage. What pushed me to the CVT was the maximum overdrive ratio in the CVT is 0.550 while the 5 speed in 5th - 0.804. Pretty much a no brainer for me at that point. I'm actually pretty impressed how aggressive the CVT is willing to lug around town at 1400rpm. I actually like the CVT way more than I thought I would.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2014 Mirage
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    Is it called Big Tomatoe ?We call ours Bluejellybean welcome
    debburyl, my Mirage is Grey, so tomato is no longer appropriate. ;-) I haven't settled on a name yet.

I do like that it's a car my Mom can easily drive, as using a clutch is a killer on her knee.

All the pluses compared to my Metro:
    Keyless entry. Love, love, love!
    Keyless start. Love, love, love!
    Electric windows.
    Electric door locks.
    Four doors - so much more convenient, but does not make the Mirage significantly longer - I think it's just 1/2 inch longer.
    Back window wiper.
    Remote adjust side mirrors.
    Side air bags.
    USB port.
    Bluetooth pairing for my phone.
    Steering wheel controls.
    Cruise control.
    Auto climate control.
    Average mpg of at least 36.
    More hp and more torque.
    Snub nose - it's cute, but does make it hard to tell how close you are to what's in front of you.
    Feels roomier in front. Definitely roomier in back, particulary for leg room.
    Headliner is not drooping down... ;-)
    New car smell... ;-)

Could go either way:
    CVT vs manual transmission - both have their pluses

Cons:
    Not the Metro... ;-)
    Speaker sound is lacking IMO.
    Steering does seem a little disconnected on hwy, as criticized by professional reviewers, but not unbearable so.
    This little annoyance with the flashing start/stop which I'm hoping will be fixed by pushing in the yellow fuse box.
    MPG average not (yet?) as high as I was hoping. My 13 mile commute is about 6-7 hwy miles, but it is, literally, uphill in both directions. Gets really great numbers in slow but moving hwy traffic, seems optimum at about 45 mph.

Flimsy cons, all in all. Really, a great little car, and someday I will write some sort of lambasting rebuttal to some of the less flattering professional critical reviews, as obviously they are expecting way more than is reasonable from a 3cyl engine, and seem to be oblivious to the fact that if you really need more acceleration power in your cars than you get with the Mirage then you are probably driving like an a$$hole. ;-)
    Donali

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donali For This Useful Post:

debburyl (07-27-2015),sorakingdomhearts (07-29-2015)

2014 Mirage
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So perhaps I misread the post about fixing the fuse - the yellow box itself did not seem to be loose. However, the two fuses inside the box did push in further, so I am hoping that solves the problem.

On another note, my top mpg reading so far - coming home from my commute in slow but moving hwy traffic, at the top of the hill of my exit - 70.9

Name:  70.9mpg.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  60.1 KB
    Donali

2014 Mirage
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Turning in my 1998 Metro. *sniff*

Name:  1998MetroTurnIn.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  94.4 KB

Donali