Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Burning Oil At 10,000 Miles! (Update 10-03-2015: no more oil burned)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justamirage View Post
    For what?
    I think he means for jumping to conclusions and crapping on Mirage which appears had not really deserved your wrath.

I am really puzzled with what really happened.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-04-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Justamirage View Post
    For what?
    You were being unnecessarily defensive to forum members who were offering genuine help, and thus came across as rude.

But don't take my word for it - ask others yourself. If you like, I suppose I could provide examples.

In the end, I'm glad your engine worries are over.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-04-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, sorry.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Justamirage For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-04-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Let's move on?

I am really puzzled on what have happened. I have heard from Mitsubishi people that all engines put on stand and tested/broken in before they put in the car. I am assuming this is done in the factory which builds engines. They must be using a special break-in oil blend when they are doing it.

So for break in not to happen something must have happened there.

Does anyone know if first factory fill is normal oil or break in?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have owned two brand-new cars in my life. My 2010 Accent lost 1.25 qt its first oil change, 1 qt its second oil change, then never another drop. My Mirage lost the amount of oil it takes to get to the lower dot on the dipstick (I don't think it's a full quart on the Mirage dipstick) the first oil change, and half that the second. It's now almost time for the third oil change, and I haven't used another drop.
    I'd call it normal.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think most New Car owners Fail to Read the owners Manual. It tells you how to drive your car during the Brake in period. And that period is so important to the life of the engine. Because I drive for a living, and we had got some new veh and I thought why ck the oil because thier New so I didn't ck it for a while, so a week and a half went by and I finely ck it Boy !!! I caught it in the nick of time!! The oil was at the bottom of the dip stick!! I really learned not to think just because it's New that it don't use oil!! So I started ck it more often. And after the brake it time it didn't use oil after that.So it's normal for some engines to use a little bit of oil, the time to get worried is if it's useing a lot of oil after you have a few miles on it. Also when I had my Mirage I didn't drive it hard because of the small engine and I had over 9,000 miles on it and it didn't use a drop of oil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to debburyl For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (10-11-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    I think most New Car owners Fail to Read the owners Manual. It tells you how to drive your car during the Brake in period. And that period is so important to the life of the engine. Because I drive for a living, and we had got some new veh and I thought why ck the oil because thier New so I didn't ck it for a while, so a week and a half went by and I finely ck it Boy !!! I caught it in the nick of time!! The oil was at the bottom of the dip stick!! I really learned not to think just because it's New that it don't use oil!! So I started ck it more often. And after the brake it time it didn't use oil after that.So it's normal for some engines to use a little bit of oil, the time to get worried is if it's useing a lot of oil after you have a few miles on it. Also when I had my Mirage I didn't drive it hard because of the small engine and I had over 9,000 miles on it and it didn't use a drop of oil.
    No offense but I find this puzzling. Just stepped out and checked. At 5k level is 3mm below top on cold engine, so it will be at max when warm. With exception of forced 80mi on interstate for 1st 500mi I drove it like I stole it. So no doubt by the time we got through the mountains rings were sealed.

How do you check oil level? Do you wait for it to drainback through the filter?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Even a tight engine will consume if it is short tripped, say, in the fall and winter a lot and then it goes on a long road trip. When it's burning the moisture out of the oil (figuratively), it will suck some oil through the PCV.