Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance schedule

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I learned a lot about oil and lubrication at that site - it's very informative. I also would like to stretch oil change intervals, just like anyone else.

A co-worker was looking at getting another car and came across an ad for some used Chrysler with a V6 that was crazy cheap. I looked up that model online and found it had engine problems. If I recall correctly, Chrysler had extended the oil change interval, and some of the oil passages were small. Sludge would accumulate, forming restrictions and eventually blockages. Portions of the engine would receive little to no lubrication and thus, would fail. Add in owners who either delay maintenance intervals, use oil of insufficient quality, or both. Dealerships would often blame the owner for improper maintenance to avoid expensive engine repair or replacement. Ick. Yes, oil has been in the ground for millions of years, but not in internal-combustion engines! (with additives!)

Bikes too. Although the lubrication needs are a bit different, I tried to learn more about lubes for bikes, in particular for internal-gear hubs and shaft-drives.

There's much room for opinion and holy wars, and it's hard to separate the opinion from fact. I sensed some opinions posted here that I found in conflict with what experts share elsewhere.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's more info: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/whats-in-your-motor-oil/

Quote Originally Posted by BITOG What's In Your Motor Oil
    For the average car owner, driving conditions are mild enough for conventional mineral oils to work satisfactorily, provided they are changed relatively frequently (3,000-5,000 miles). For those users with high performance engines, severe climates, hard driving, or utilizing long drain intervals, synthetics can offer good value and may even be required.
    Also the Wikipedia entry for the Chrysler sludge problem: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysl...known_problems

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia Chrysler LH Engine
    Buildup of Oil sludge is a common issue that plagues this engine early on in its life. Poor design, small oil passages, and higher than average operating temperature are all factors in why this occurs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think that you should be perfectly fine with the normal schedule on the engine oil changes. I would use any name brand 0w-20 oil (whichever is on sale at the time) and a good filter (Napa silver or better, wix, purolator, Fram ultraguard, not orange fram) and don't worry about it. 7500 miles is not a terribly long time and synthetic oils are very good these days, also it is what the manufacturer recommends and they did the engineering for the car. Be sure tof check the engine oil every fill up at least until you are convinced there is no oil consumption between changes. I would recommend the severe schedule on the CVT out of personal preference.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I just changed my oil and I picked up NAPA 0w-20 full synthetic for $3.49 a quart! One great thing about the Mirage it's easy to maintain your own vehicle. Even the CVT, has a drain plug that is easily accessible and is easy to fill and check on the dip stick. The 3A92 motor is an excellent engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oil change and filter replacement intervals for 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage

http://static.mitsubishicars.com/pdf...20Complete.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by MMNA 2015 WARRANTY & MAINTENANCE MANUAL
    Schedule 1 - Every 3,750 miles (6,000 km) or every 3 months
    Schedule 2 - Every 7,500 miles (12,000 km) or every 6 months

Schedule 1
    Use Schedule 1 if you primarily operate your vehicle under any of these conditions;
    • Driving on dusty, rough, muddy or salt-spread roads
    • Towing or police, taxi or commercial operation
    • Extensive idling and /or low speed operation
    • Repeated short-trip operation at freezing temperatures (engine not thoroughly warmed up)
    • Extended use of brakes while driving
    • Driving in sandy areas
    • More than 50% operation in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 90° F (32°)

Schedule 2
    Use Schedule 2 only if you primarily operate your vehicle under conditions other than those listed in Schedule 1
    I am interested to know how many members here approach (or exceed) 7,500 miles (12,000 km) every six months. I'm going out on a limb and will assume most here do not put that many miles on their Mirage and will thus have to change their oil before reaching 7,500 miles. I'm sure there are some folks here that will make it that far in six months time, but not all. The distance requirement is one thing - the time requirement is to address the loss of additives over that span of time.
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-28-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

I am interested to know how many members here approach (or exceed) 7,500 miles (12,000 km) every six months. I'm going out on a limb and will assume most here do not put that many miles on their Mirage and will thus have to change their oil before reaching 7,500 miles. I'm sure there are some folks here that will make it that far in six months time, but not all. The distance requirement is one thing - the time requirement is to address the loss of additives over that span of time.

I'll come close but not over for sure. I figured that changing the oil at 5k was a reasonable schedule and since the engine only takes 3 quarts it's seemed to me an in between schedule 1 & 2

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Tagged for later
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

I do. The Mirage is our only vehicle and my wife has a 50 mile commute. We bought our mirage in September and have put 7000 miles on it.

Also, does anyone know if they dealer can/will install a block heater in the U.S.? Anyone had it done and know the cost? I'm not handy enough to do it myself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 47.1 mpg (US) ... 20.0 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I put 7500 miles on in between 3 and 4 months.

You should try putting the heater in yourself. It really is easy and does not require a single tool. I installed min in about 20 minutes and am slow and methodical. It took more time for me to zip tie the cord the way I wanted it then it did to install the heater. Watch the video in this thread http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...allation-video

For me the cost to install was about $35 plus $5 for the silicone grease which I have lots leftover. I imagine the labor at a dealership approaching $100, or at a regular mechanic $30-$65. That is purely a guess though. You will spend more time setting up the appointment and driving to the shop then you will popping the hood and installing the heater in your own driveway. Look at it this way, buy the heater and watch the video then give the install a try. If you cannot get it, take the heater to the shop and pay the labor, but if you do get it then you have saved a considerable amount of money.

One tip for the install is when standing in front of the vehicle, locate the lower radiator hose (black hose maybe 2 inches in diameter) and run your hand along it towards the engine. Immediately to the right of that hose as you are looking at the engine is the hole in which the heater is inserted, about 3/4 inch diameter hole.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's sound advice, thank you. Would you have a link to the part. I'm looking on advance auto but not having any luck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 47.1 mpg (US) ... 20.0 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.6 mpg (Imp)