View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 54 of 110 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My right rear camber was off by the same amount and I found odd tire wear, got my axle replaced under warranty and the new one is out of adjustment too.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

jbarr (12-01-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When they replaced the rear axle, was the toe still within specifications?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
    When they replaced the rear axle, was the toe still within specifications?
    They did not tell me what was out, just that the new axle was also out of spec.

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So I just purchased my Mirage about a week ago...

The steering wheel is not centered at any speed, but does not change with speed. I have to turn the steering wheel slightly left to drive straight, and the amount I have to keep it left is the same at any speed. I'd say the steering wheel is about 2-3 degrees left of center...

I have scheduled an appointment with the dealership, with a complaint of "Steering Wheel Not Centered"

Should I be concerned? Is the steering wheel being a bit off of center a sign of bad rear wheel alignment?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.7 mpg (US) ... 22.0 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 62.0 mpg (Imp)

Member BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Based on my experience posted earlier in this post, the answer is yes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT For This Useful Post:

BRagland (12-01-2015)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BRagland View Post
    So I just purchased my Mirage about a week ago...

The steering wheel is not centered at any speed, but does not change with speed. I have to turn the steering wheel slightly left to drive straight, and the amount I have to keep it left is the same at any speed. I'd say the steering wheel is about 2-3 degrees left of center...

I have scheduled an appointment with the dealership, with a complaint of "Steering Wheel Not Centered"

Should I be concerned? Is the steering wheel being a bit off of center a sign of bad rear wheel alignment?
    It's possible it could be rear alignment, or it could be front alignment. Your "steering wheel not centered" observation is the perfect way to get the alignment checked and when you have the data, you have recorded that data with the dealership and Mitsubishi. Let us know what they tell you, and specifically, the actual measurements and any adjustments they made.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

BRagland (12-01-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    I'm not sure if you've read through this entire thread, as it's pretty involved. It might be worth it so you know what others have faced, and you can use this in your discussions with your dealer. As others have proved, it can be fixed - just maybe not by the dealer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm not sure if you've read through this entire thread, as it's pretty involved. It might be worth it so you know what others have faced, and you can use this in your discussions with your dealer. As others have proved, it can be fixed - just maybe not by the dealer.
    I did read the last ~4 pages and I saw some of you were using chains on the rear axle to pull them together? Is that the most viable way of a fix without the dealer (should I have this problem...)?

I'm still hoping I didn't just buy a tire eating monster.. There goes all the fuel savings, right into my tires every 20k fund...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.7 mpg (US) ... 22.0 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 62.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRagland View Post
    I did read the last ~4 pages and I saw some of you were using chains on the rear axle to pull them together? Is that the most viable way of a fix without the dealer (should I have this problem...)?
    Board member 'old mechanic' has used a combination of rods and turnbuckle to address excessive toe-in, then used an appropriately-sized lever to bend the axle spindles into compliance. You could search for his posts in this thread to see for yourself. I suppose there is still some benefit to be gained by reading the whole thread, though.

As for a tire-eating monster, it could depend on so many factors. Get the alignment checked and go from there. I think that since a solution has been found and successfully applied, this model car is saved from Lemon status, and you'll be fine in the end.

Hope that helps. Best wishes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

jbarr (12-01-2015)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One thing is for certain. If you are unsure of your alignment, routine tire rotations will help to prevent premature tire wear. I was rotating my tires every 5,000 miles and did not notice the odd tire wear until my car had 24,000 miles on it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

jbarr (12-01-2015)