Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long can the dealer keep your car for repairs?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

How long can the dealer keep your car for repairs?

Last month my mirage got rear ended (hit and run) so it's going to cost me at least $1000 for my deductible, which sucks since it wasn't even my fault. If I would've known I had to pay the deductible I would've chased after the driver like Mad Max, but that's another topic. Anyway a new problem has emerged. It's been a month and the car is still being worked on and now my rental insurance has run out. Can they keep my car forever? I told them I wanted to make sure the alignment was correct on the back end because of the issues the mirage has. I also told them I wanted a print out of the alignment. I'm guessing they may be running into problems with the alignment and that's why it's taking so long. Anyway my question is "how long can they keep your car?"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Have you called them to see what the hang up is?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No, they can't keep it forever, and they don't want to either. It's in everyone's best interest to get a car repaired as quickly as possible. As Doax said, call them and find out what the problem is. Chances are, they have something you can drive that they can pay for themselves if the problem is on their end.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Have you called them to see what the hang up is?
    They said they were having an issue with the alignment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Madison320 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-26-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flatbroke View Post
    No, they can't keep it forever, and they don't want to either. It's in everyone's best interest to get a car repaired as quickly as possible. As Doax said, call them and find out what the problem is. Chances are, they have something you can drive that they can pay for themselves if the problem is on their end.
    I agree that it would seem to be in their best interest to make a quick repair, but they haven't. It's been almost 30 days on what appeared to be minor damage. The only visible damage was to the rear bumper. What I'm wondering is if there's some type of law covering this.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The contract between you and your service people is pretty wide open. No real deadline when it comes to fixing your car. It's up to you to get sick of it and take your car somewhere else.
    Keep in mind though it may be their extra attention to detail causing the delay and that's a good thing, to a point.
    Dealer had my car for 71 days once but car has been flawless ever since.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    The contract between you and your service people is pretty wide open. No real deadline when it comes to fixing your car. It's up to you to get sick of it and take your car somewhere else.
    Keep in mind though it may be their extra attention to detail causing the delay and that's a good thing, to a point.
    Dealer had my car for 71 days once but car has been flawless ever since.
    I don't see how that will work. They'll make me pay for the repairs before they give me my car back. I would think that legally they have to give me a loaner car while they work on my car. Otherwise they could keep it forever.

Anyway I'm still hoping this'll work out. My insurance covers me until May 31. If they don't fix it by then I'll ask for a loaner.

Did they give you a car to drive during the 71 days?
    Last edited by Madison320; 05-27-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes they gave me a loaner for a bit then rented a car for me. Mine was at the dealership for a warranty issue.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Check your state laws. Here in Washington, an insurance company has 30 days to settle a claim for damage to a vehicle.

The car either has to be fixed within 30 days or it has to be declared totaled and an offer made within 30 days.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-15-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Yes they gave me a loaner for a bit then rented a car for me. Mine was at the dealership for a warranty issue.
    If they give me a car, they can take 10 years to fix it! I was worried about not having a car and having to pay for a rental over an extended period of time.

Anyway, I got my car back today! As long as the rear alignment is good I'm happy.

Thanks!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Madison320 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-28-2016)